Reading this Undertale LP fills you with determination.

Blossom

Re: Reading this Undertale LP fills you with determination.

Postby Blossom » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:09 pm

Undyne the Undying is an emotionally devastating fight. "The heroine appears" is just a gut punch of a line.

You surprise and basically one-shot Toriel and Papyrus. They had faith in you, and you betrayed it. It's horrible, but it's over. But Undyne knows what's going on, Undyne is hanging on by sheer Determination to stop the only small-m monster in the underground. She knows that everybody is depending on her to save them, and gives you everything she has. It's such a perfect distillation of what makes her so great ... and it's not enough. But even at the end, she refuses to give up hope, because she has faith in her friends to keep themselves safe. She knows she bought them time to escape, time to do what they need to do to stop you, and so she dies smiling.

Heartbreak.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:58 pm

nosimpleway wrote:...My body... It feels like it's splitting apart... Like any instant, I'll scatter into a million pieces. But... Deep, depp in my soul. There's a burning feeling I can't describe. A burning feeling that WON'T let me die.[/i]

Image m'fishlady
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:45 pm

Normally the Royal Guard is posted here, but... now it's just one of those ubiquitous barriers that show up all over Hotland.

That's a lot of monsters. Suffice to say I do all of this killing off-camera, but it took quite a while. And yet, since this run has all of the puzzles already solved, and you can switch focus out of the game window and do something else while Frisk paces in place waiting for encounters, the genocide run feels shorter.

As Undyne warned, Alphys is already gone.

Image: YOU UGLY LITTLE CREATURE. YOU'VE MADE QUITE A NAME FOR YOURSELF. SUCH INFAMY...! I'M IMPRESSED. OH. YES. IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR ALPHYS, SHE'S NOT HERE. WHILE YOU WERE BUSY DOING YOUR, AHEM, THING.

Beating Undyne the Undying on something like the fourteenth try, you mean.

Image: SHE WAS RUNNING AROUND EVACUATING PEOPLE TO SAFETY. NOW THEY'RE IN A PLACE WHERE YOU'LL NEVER GET TO THEM. DECIDING NOT TO FIGHT YOU. MY MY, SHE REALLY IS THE ONLY SMART ONE, ISN'T SHE?

Considering how much frustration I have towards her specifically for her pointless, endless nattering? Yes, that was absolutely the smart move.

Image: OH? HOW SASSY. YOU'RE JUST ITCHING TO GET YOUR HANDS ON ME, AREN'T YOU? WELL... T-O-O B-A-D! THIS WORLD NEEDS STARS MORE THAN IT NEEDS CORPSES! TOODLES!

...you weren't set here as a guard sentry, with your invincible metal body, to stop me or at least stall for time? Really?

An inside joke that only Rtwo-the-ingame-character understands, apparently.

Probably the most important change in the patch: moving the bathroom sign to the left side of the True Lab elevator door.

Despite everything, it's still... uh, more me than Frisk.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:08 pm

Alphys's natter is annoying but you don't realize how annoying until it's gone and you can make it to the far end of Hotland in approximately 30 seconds.

The Royal Guard is posted on the first level. They're pretty miffed that I killed Undyne.

They're speed bumps.

Every level except the top on is closed off with more barriers. There's no real reason to go through the middle areas of Hotland without any puzzles or anything, anyway.

Muffet isn't manning her station.

Or anything at all.

After she's killed, a spider walks in and leaves a single flower in the spot where she died, then slowly and mournfully walks offscreen.

Hey, this is Bratty!
Hey, this is Catty!
If you're reading this...
Then, like, bad news you mega-evil weirdo!
Alphys just came here and she's taking us...
Someplace super duper safe!
But, first, we gotta use up these gel pens.
Yeah! Chill, Alphys! We don't wanna waste pens!
And don't even THINK about stealing our stuff.
Yeah, creep! Leave our junk alone!
Catty, it's not JUNK. It's really valuable.
Yeah! Our garbage is REALLY valuable!
Anyway. In closing: You're a total loser!
Yeah! Loser!!! Nya ha ha!!!
Signed, Bratty <3
Signed, Catty <3

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:20 pm

You know who I bet still has to work through the murderpocalypse, though?

Yep.

On the upside, the Steak in the Shape of Mettaton's Face and the Legendary Hero are some of the best healing items in the game, and since not much in the way of any other shop has been taking my money. If Burgerpants had abandoned his post I might have gotten them for free (like I can take as much Junk Food as I want from Bratty and Catty's), but at this point I can afford to fill my inventory.

Evacuation
Image: Evacuation? You're yanking my chain, little weirdo. So WHAT if everybody else left work? So WHAT if nobody's buying anything?

Image: Par for the course, little weirdo. Par for the course.

Mettaton
Image: Well, Mettaton didn't tell me I HAD to work, I guess...

Image: But that's the thing! Sometimes he doesn't call me into work until halfway into my shift!

Image: If I don't play it safe, he's going to yell at me.

Image: Okay, maybe "yell" is the wrong term.

Image: It's more like he has this... CD album he plays...

Image: That's entirely full of songs about how bad I am at my job.

Alone
Image: Huh? Everyone else is DEAD?

Image: ...Does that mean I don't have to work today?

Image: God. That it were true, little weirdo. That it were true.

Threaten
Image: Sorry, little weirdo. Threats won't work on me. I can't go to hell. I'm all out of vacation days.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:35 pm

The elevator to the top of the CORE is functional for the first time in... ever. Hotland and the CORE are apparently considered the same area, so there are only "But Nobody Came" encounters inside from all the Vulkins and Tsunderplanes I killed earlier. Skipping it makes sense.

Image: AFTER OUR FIRST MEETING, I REALIZED... SOMETHING GHASTLY. YOU'RE NOT JUST A THREAT TO MONSTERS... BUT HUMANITY, AS WELL. OH MY. THAT'S AN ISSUE. YOU SEE, I CAN'T BE A STAR WITHOUT AN AUDIENCE. AND BESIDES... THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE... I WANT TO PROTECT.

Image: AH HA HA. EAGER, AS ALWAYS, EH? BUT DON'T TOUCH THAT DIAL. THERE'S STILL SOMETHING YOU HAVEN'T ACCOUNTED FOR. AS ANY TRUE FAN WOULD KNOW, I WAS FIRST CREATED AS A HUMAN ERADICATION ROBOT. IT WAS ONLY AFTER BECOMING A STAR THAT I WAS GIVEN A MORE... PHOTOGENIC BODY.

He's literally a freaking rectangle!

Image: HOWEVER. THOSE ORIGINAL FUNCTIONS HAVE NEVER BEEN FULLY REMOVED... COME ANY CLOSER, AND I'LL BE FORCED TO SHOW YOU... MY TRUE FORM!

Image: FINE THEN! RRRREADY? IIIIIIIT'S SHOWTIME!!!

Music: Power of NEO

Mettaton NEO didn't move after I checked him.

So I check again. He doesn't attack. The narration is simply that "stage lights are blaring".

He doesn't move. He doesn't say anything. He doesn't do anything.

...he was sturdier and more dangerous in his original freaking rectangle form. At least then he could drop me to 1 HP and was invincible. Mettaton makes a comment about me not joining his fan club and explodes.

Poor guy. Now the only perfectly-rectangular movie star left is Josh Hutcherson.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:48 pm

Up next: Flowey calls everyone reading this thread a faggot.

And after: Bad times.
ImageImageImage

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:52 pm

Friday wrote:Bad times

yep
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:25 pm

Esperath wrote:
Friday wrote:Bad times

yep

really yep

Rico

Postby Rico » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:46 pm

The encounter rate dropping to mind-numbingly-low levels is perhaps my favorite little touch in a game almost entirely made up of little touches.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:33 am

I feel like I hardly need to narrate this part. But I will anyway, because that's what Let's Plays are for, right?

The Worn Dagger and Heart Locket are replaced by the True Knife and The Locket. Rtwo is as exuberant as can be about having his original murder weapon back.

Hah! Called it! The calendars mark the date the First Child fell, not the current in-game date.

Rtwo has now almost entirely taken over the narration, often using red text to denote that it's not Frisk making the observation.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:34 am

And instead of monsters telling you the history of the first child and Asriel, you have...

Your best friend, Flowey. Flowey the Flower.

Image: You finally made it home. Remember when we used to play here? Hee hee hee! Boy. Today's going to be just as fun.

Image: I remember when I first woke up here, in the garden. I was so scared. I couldn't feel my arms or legs... My entire body had turned into a flower! "Mom! Dad! Somebody help me!" I called out.

Image: But nobody came.

Image: Eventually, the king found me, crying in the garden. I explained what had happened to him.

But I don't think Alphys ever did, so Asgore probably didn't make the connection between Alphys's experiments on the soul vessel and Asriel having dusted across his garden. Not that it matters anyway, for reasons explained shortly.

Image: Then he held me, Rtwo. He held me with tears in his eyes, saying... "There, there. Everything is going to be alright." He was so... emotional... but... for some reason... I didn't feel anything at all.

Image: I soon realized I didn't feel ANYTHING about ANYONE. My compassion had disappeared! And believe me, it's not like I wasn't trying. I wasted weeks with that stupid king, vainly hoping I would feel something. But it became too much for me. I ran away from home.

Image: Eventually, I reached the RUINS. Inside I found HER, Rtwo. I thought of all people, SHE could make me feel whole again.

Image: ...she failed.

Image: Ha ha... I realized those two were useless. I became despondent. I just wanted to love someone. I just wanted to care about someone. Rtwo, you might not believe this... But I decided... it wasn't worth living anymore.

Image: Not in a world without love. Not in a world without you. So... I decided to follow in your footsteps. I would erase myself from existence. And you know what? I succeeded. But as I left this mortal coil... I started to feel apprehensive.

Image: If you don't have a SOUL, what happens when you...?

Image: Something primal started to burn inside me. "No," I thought, "I don't want to die!"

Image: ...Then I woke up.

Image: Like it was all just a bad dream. I was back at the garden. Back at my "save point". Interested, I decided to experiment. Again and again, I brought myself to the edge of death. At any point, I could have let this world continue on without me. But as long as I was determined to live... I could go back.

Image: Amazing, isn't it, Rtwo? I was amazed, too. At first, I used my powers for good. I became "friends" with everyone. I solved all of their problems flawlessly. Their companionship was amusing... For a while.

Image: As time repeated, people proved themselves predictable. What would this person say if I gave them this? What would they do if I said this to them? Once you know the answer, that's it. That's all they are. It all started because I was curious.

Image: Curious what would happen if I killed them.

Image: "I don't like this," I told myself. "I'm just doing this because I HAVE to know what happens."

I'm just doing this to write a Let's Play. That's... totally different.

Image: Ha ha ha... What an excuse!

Image: You of all people must know how liberating it is to act this way.

It did get a lot easier after Papyrus, it's true.

Image: At least we're better than those sickos that stand around and WATCH it happen... Those pathetic people that want to see it, but are too weak to do it themselves.

Image: I bet someone like that's watching right now, aren't they...?

Lookin' at you, every reader of this Let's Play. Although I get the impression most of you have played this run yourselves, so it doesn't apply. Whatever.

Image: Nowadays, even that's grown tiring. You understand, Rtwo. I've done everything this world has to offer. I've read every book. I've burned every book. I've won every game. I've lost every game. I've appeased everyone. I've killed everyone. Sets of numbers... Lines of dialogue...

Endgame phonecalls?

Image: I've seen them all.

Image: But you... YOU'RE different. I could never predict YOU, Rtwo. When I saw you in the RUINS, I didn't recognize you. I thought I could frighten you, then steal your SOUL.

Image: I failed. And when I tried to load my save file... It didn't work.

Image: Rtwo... Your DETERMINATION! Somehow, it's even greater than mine!

Natural versus artifically injected in a secret lab, I suppose. There's also some hinting that the other six souls have signature traits other than Determination -- Patience, Bravery, Integrity, Perseverance, Kindness, and Justice -- which is why they died and stayed dead, instead of reloading a save. It may well be that the combined Determination of those six, collected in the True Lab and distributed to Flowey and the creatures that turned into the Amalgamates, just can't match the innate Determination of Rtwo and/or Frisk.

These are hinted at by, of all things, the snowball golf game back in Snowdin. I'm really terrible at that minigame so I haven't talked about it much.

Image: I just have one question for you, Rtwo. How did you get back to the RUINS from here...? ...wait, I know. She must have taken you when she left. And decided to give you a proper burial, rather than hanging out in the basement forever.

Toriel took Rtwo's body back to the RUINS of the monster's old home, buried it, and planted those golden flowers over the top of the grave. That's why she's tending to the flowers if you go back to find her in a Pacifist run, and why you find Asriel there tending the flowers after the Pacifist ending. It's where Frisk landed after they fell into the underground in the first place, so presumably lying on the grave unconscious for god knows how long is where the influence of Rtwo came from.

There's probably some importance to the mummy wrappings left behind in Rtwo's coffin and the Bandage that Frisk starts equipped with, too, but damned if I know what it is.

Image: ... but, why then...? What made you wake up? Did you hear me calling you...? It doesn't matter now. I'm so tired of this, Rtwo. I'm tired of all these people. I'm tired of all these places. I'm tired of being a flower.

Image: Rtwo. There's just one thing left I want to do. Let's finish what we started. Let's free everyone.

Image: Then... let's let them see what humanity is REALLY like!

Image: That despite it all... this world is still "Kill or be killed!"

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:49 am

Image: Then...? Well... I had... Been entertaining a few ways to use that power. Hee hee hee... ...But seeing you here changed my mind. Rtwo... I think if you're around... Just living in the surface world doesn't seem so bad.

Image: We don't even need to leave to get them this time. The king has six of them locked away. I've tried hundreds of ways to get him to show me them... But he just won't. Rtwo... I know he'll do it for YOU.

Image: Why am I telling you all this? Rtwo, I said it before. Even after all this time... You're still the only one that understands me. You won't give me any worthless pity!

Asriel is nigh Shakespearean in his central character flaw: his complete, innate, total trust of the long-dead homicidal maniac that was his adopted brother. Asriel mistakes the complete lack of emotion or compassion from Rtwo as a virtue, not the mark of a dangerous lunatic.

Image: Creatures like us... Wouldn't hesitate to KILL each other if we got in each other's way.

Ah, you've finally hit the nail on the head.

Image: So that's...

Think about it...

Image: So... that's... Why...

Oh, so close...

Image: ...

There it is!

It's difficult to tell from the screenshots, but from here on out, Flowey is trembling.

Image: ...what's this... ...feeling? Why am I... Shaking? ...Hey... Rtwo... No hard feelings about back then, right?

Well, you did cock up their plan to become an unstoppable destructive juggernaut and destroy all of humanity. If Rtwo is capable of any emotion at all, it may well be bitterness. Or vindictiveness. Or...

From here on out, the letters in Flowey's dialogue boxes are also trembling.

Image: H-Hey, what are you doing!? B... Back off! I... I've changed my mind about all this. This isn't a good idea anymore. Y-you should go back, Rtwo. This place is fine the way it is!

Image: ...S-s-stop making that creepy face! This isn't funny! You've got a SICK sense of humor!

That's all I get from Flowey in the paths through and behind New Home. Having reached the Final Corridor, I'm expecting Sans to show up with some harsh moral judgment. He's not gonna be happy, no sir.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:33 am

You might even say he's going to give you a Bad Time.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:58 am

Bad Time, vol 1

It takes a while before I remember to Check the guy, but Sans is described as "The weakest enemy. Only capable of dealing 1 damage." And that's true! But this battle also does away with mercy invincibility; so each attack will drain HP at a steady clip depending on how solidly the attack hit. The game refers to this mechanic as "karmic retribution".

He also has only one hit point, but gosh darn it he's an evasive little bastard.

Each turn comes with the choice to scarf down some sort of food item or swing and miss to progress the battle toward its conclusion. I go through a lot of Leg Heroes.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:23 am

Notably, the song that plays when you fight Sans is not the Song That Might Play When You Fight Sans, a high-speed version of his own mellow theme, mixed with a bit of Bonetrousle, set to what sounds a lot like the soundfont Capcom used on the Mega Man X games back on the SNES.

It is instead Megalovania, a reference to Toby's previous work. It was the final boss theme to the Earthbound hack put together by the creepily obsessive fans on the Starmen.net community, back when ol' Radiation Fox was contributing there. It's also shown up as a theme in Homestuck.

And each time it's the theme of someone with delusions of grandeur, a villain, or something similar. At least, that's my impression from what I've read, fuck all if I'm going to trawl through the history of Homestuck to double-check. Popular fan theory is that this is the final example of the player character becoming the ultimate villain/final boss of the game. It's not Sans's theme. It's Rtwo's.

As if Undyne the Undying didn't drive it home that you're playing as the bad guy now, Sans adopts game mechanics normally possessed by the player. He attacks first in the fight, and can catch you with your guard down once you're offered Mercy -- just like I did to Toriel back at the beginning.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:20 am

So fun fact, the Game Grumps just got here in their playthrough. It took Barry... maybe 3 hours? total to actually beat Sans. With a week+ in between the first 1-2 hours during normal recording, and then a livestream that they thought would take many hours where instead he almost got to Sans's special attack in the first 20 minutes, and he ended up beating Sans in an hour.

Which means that unless you beat Sans in less than 3 hours, you are officially worse than the Game Grumps at a game and should probably commit sudoku.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:15 pm

I've always been curious if you'd get special dialog if you one shot Sans. Probably not, but who knows. I don't know if it's actually ever been done.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:28 pm

I'm not sure it's possible, but you never know.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:35 pm

Friday wrote:I've always been curious if you'd get special dialog if you one shot Sans. Probably not, but who knows. I don't know if it's actually ever been done.

It's not possible. That's not a chance to dodge, those are scripted dodges until the end of the fight. You only get to hit him after his special attack, which happens after you've attacked him... 22 times or something like that.