Let's play Dragon Warrior III: you mean they made a sequel to that one game with all the instant death monsters?

François

Re: Let's play Dragon Warrior III: you mean they made a sequel to that one game with all the instant death monsters?

Postby François » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:36 pm

Image: Whew, okay, that should do it.
Image: Is it really working this time?
Image: Well, this sure isn't anywhere we know in Alefgard.
Image: Oh! Hello!
Image: Ah, excuse me, miss, but where are we?
Image: This is a bit of a difficult question. I'm not sure what to call this place, to be honest!
Image: Call it a hall of heroes.
Image: That's about as accurate a name as it gets, I suppose.
Image: I don't know about that. There's a tattooed weirdo hanging around in here, talking about demons all the time. I don't know what his deal is, but he's creeping me out.
Image: So this isn't Alefgard, then? Have you heard of Aliahan? Or Romaly?
Image: Yes, but not in the way you're hoping, I'm afraid.
Image: What's that even supposed to mean?
Image: Well... Okay, look, long story short, we're your descendants. Or, to be precise, Erdrick's descendants. I mean, Zofia's descendants.
Image: ...what.
Image: I don't get how this works either!
Image: I'm not a descendant of yours, but I married one!
Image: Wait, I knew there was something off going on. Were you the ones scrying on us all this time?
Image: Yes, we were. You have our apologies.
Image: I suppose our deeds are of historical interest.
Image: We lost track of you at about the time you returned to Tantegel after taking out Zoma.
Image: So, five years ago then.
Image: Uh, just so we know... Where are you from?
Image: Alefgard.
Image: And the surrounding lands.
Image: Oh... so I don't ever...
Image: You do not. I'm sorry.
Image: Hey, don't you dare do this without us!
Image: Eh what-
Image: Hey hey hey!
Image: Merry meet, everyone!
Image: ...okay, this is getting pretty crowded...
Image: Gonzalo, Leonor! How are things going topside?
Image: Ha, this big goof and I opened a weapon shop in Aliahan!
Image: More importantly, we have a little Zofia of our own now. It seemed like a good time, with the peace and all!
Image: Ah! That's not necessary!
Image: You did bring us together!
Image: Well, congratulations!
Image: How's my mother doing?
Image: She's taken care of, don't worry.
Image: When it became obvious you all went to another world and that the passage there sealed up, the Vault accepted to transfer your account to hers. She's plenty comfortable, and she knows you live.
Image: Oof, comfortable, I'll say.
Image: Please tell her I love her! Tell her I'd come back if I could!
Image: She knows, but we'll pass it on. You have our word.
Image: For my part, I'm the head priestess in Dhama now. I wish there was more to say about it, but it's about what you expect.
Image: There has to be a lot more people there now though!
Image: Oh yeah, it's plenty busy.
Image: But enough about us! What have you been up to?
Image: Oh, you know, this and that. Getting to know the people, the land. Spending time with my friends!
Image: Goodness, Alvaro, do tell them about you.
Image: Ah, heh...
Image: Dude's gonna be king! Can you believe it?
Image: Well I'll be! King Alvaro!
Image: I-I was born a duke's heir, technically speaking. And now I'm engaged to King Raosu's grand-daughter, Princess Gwynevere.
Image: ...!
Image: So it's more like... king consort, I suppose.
Image: Huh. Suddenly my life begins to make sense.
Image: I set up a coven in Hauksness. The state of arcane education in Alefgard is deplorable, so, life's goal, doing some good, that sort of thing. No biggie.
Image: Don't let her put herself down, she's taking in so many orphans!
Image: Eh, if even half of them had any talent, we'd have an army of witches and wizards already.
Image: In... Hauksness, did you say...?
Image: Shh.
Image: What about you, Isabel?
Image: Oh... Nothing much... nothing much worth mentioning!
Image: Get out of here! She's traveling all over with this Garin kid, they draw crowds everywhere they go!
Image: Ah, he doesn't need me, he's got all the talent-
Image: Lies!
Image: No he doesn't! Come on!
Image: Haha, well, maybe I have just a little to do with it.
Image: Okay, so... You guys are... my... from the future, right? What Zoma said... His threat... Did it come true?
Image: ...
Image: Yeah, it did.
Image: But you were right too.
Image: There really were others.
Image: And Rubiss honored her pact with you.
Image: That's... that's good to hear. I mean, it would have been better if he had been wrong, but...
Image: There's been tough times for sure.
Image: But the world's in good hands, thanks to you.
Image: Okay. Okay, that's a relief.
Image: Just... uh... you don't want to hear this right now but, you do end up with at least one kid, so... you might want to think about working on that.
Image: R-right...
Image: No pressure, but-
Image: Well, maybe a little pressure.
Image: Eesh.
Image: Hey, I'm just twenty-one, give me a break!
Image: You've got time!
Image: I'm sure you'll find someone worthy one day.
Image: Heh... maybe. I mean, okay, sure!
Image: You know, there is someone I'd like you to meet...
Image: Oooooh no, we're not starting with this!
Image: Just saying!
Image: Alright, alright, as much as this topic of conversation needs to go on and on, I can't keep this channel open much longer.
Image: Gah, yeah, it's closing on our end too. We don't belong here... not yet.
Image: Wait, can't I-
Image: Sorry, that's not how this works. And it sounds like you're needed on that side, right?
Image: Right. Goodbye everyone!
Image: It was great to meet you, Zofia!
Image: I swear you'll be remembered on the surface as well!
Image: Thanks for your help!
Image: Hey, wait, what happened to Pancho?
Image: Who?
Image: Who cares?
Image: Welp, alright then.
Image: Thank you too, Zofia, and all of you.
Image: We only have a world to live in because you kept Zoma from bringing it to ruin.
Image: Never forget that your deeds resonate throughout history.
Image: You kicked a ton of ass, and that's rad!
Image: Now get some rest! You've earned it!
Image: Heh, one day we'll find the time for it. Goodbye!
Image: Take care!
Image: Great meeting you all!
Image: Treasure each other! Make each other happy! Promise!
Image: It's a promise.
Image: Always.

Meanwhile, in a lonely castle far to the north of the surface world...

A dragon of royal blood is born, without a wise mother's love and guidance. He is deprived of his family's greatest treasure, a relic of pure beauty, a device of fury and power; it was taken by strangers, by humans, to fight a foe, so far away. He sees it in his dreams. In another place. In unworthy hands.

Deep within his heart grows hatred strong enough to pierce the veil between worlds, a consuming flame burning through the ages. It calls to the dark and to those who dwell there, lurking, waiting for their hour to come once more.

Dragons live long lives, hold mighty grudges, and yield oh so easily to greed...

But we already know how that story goes, don't we?

Maybe next time, we'll turn our gaze to another land.

nosimpleway

Re: Let's play Dragon Warrior III: you mean they made a sequel to that one game with all the instant death monsters?

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:47 am

Could this be gaming's first example of "why don't they use a Phoenix Down on Aeris"? It beats Final Fantasy II's PC-death-fest by a few months...

Excellent LP, through the series! I've still never played a main-series DQ game so prying apart all the little details and system evolutions was rad as hell.

François

Postby François » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:21 pm

nosimpleway wrote:Could this be gaming's first example of "why don't they use a Phoenix Down on Aeris"? It beats Final Fantasy II's PC-death-fest by a few months...

Apparently the original version and the remakes make it more explicit that Ortega is too messed up to be brought back... but considering it's implied you get outright devoured by Baramos if you lose to him and still pop up in a throne room in one piece afterwards, that's not much of an explanation.

nosimpleway wrote:Excellent LP, through the series! I've still never played a main-series DQ game so prying apart all the little details and system evolutions was rad as hell.

It's easy for someone who doesn't know the games to look at a bunch of screenshots of the NES-era installments and conclude "meh, these are all the same", but there's so much more to it than first appears. I knew it would be fun to look at the details of the series' growth and progress, but I'm feeling even better about it than I thought I would, especially now that Rhone is a distant memory in the rear view mirror.

In other news, I'm taking something of a break before IV to recharge my batteries (I could start now and enjoy it, but long-term that's not a good idea), but, well, in the meantime there's something I needed to get out of my head.

François wrote:Image

I like the layout of this dungeon, what with the large vestibule in front of the tower proper, and the wide hollow center with a bunch of ropes going across the top floor; it's just pretty neat to imagine. I kinda want to try building it in Minecraft, heh.

Welp!

François

Postby François » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:27 pm

Oops, I did it again. Guess my finger slipped over and over again for several hours in a very specific way!

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:05 pm

hey, i'm back and this LP ruled and stop making DW3 dungeons in minecraft you absolute madman

also I just beat DQ11 the other day and I entered "Erdrick" as my main character name (which I have been doing since dw4) and it was all "YOU CAN'T HAVE THAT NAME" and booted me back to naming screen and I was like "HMMMMMMMMM THIS IS SUSPICIOUS"

anyway do yourself a favor and play 11 it's a really good game
ImageImageImage

François

Postby François » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:46 am

I want to but if I think about JRPGs too much right now I worry that the next time I go to the bathroom my brain will open an escape hatch in the back of my skull and jump in the toilet as I leave.

is what I would say if I was not already sitting on four episodes' worth of dw4 screenshots like a dope

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:47 pm

it's okay Alena kicks a whole lot of ass
ImageImageImage

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:13 am

If it's not, like, some kind of necromancy, I'll leave a little inspire-y comment here when I'm done caught up, but, it's telling that I instantly knew what to expect when I clicked on 'Underneath.' Also that is some seriously good video editing. And I'm not a particularly nostalgic person, ahaha...