You accept everything that will happen from now on. Let's Play Deltarune!

nosimpleway

Re: You accept everything that will happen from now on. Let's Play Deltarune!

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:47 am

Through the door...

Ralsei: (Next battle, we should show her how to ACT!) (I think she might really enjoy that!)

Unfortunately, I neglect to try bossing Susie around. I'm sure that would have gone swimmingly, but I check the checker instead.

And Susie wollops the thing into the stratosphere.

Oh well.

Ralsei: As heroes, we have the power to make a peaceful future. So, from now on, let's try to avoid FIGHTing, OK?
Susie: ...
Ralsei: Umm, what if you just took it easy on them...? If you weaken an enemy, I can use my PACIFY spell. Which, can put exhausted people to sleep!
Ralsei: Well, um, just think about it! (We might have to WARN enemies about her, Kris...)

Save point: The power of mean girls shines within you.

This is a MASSIVE INFODUMP WALL OF TEXT incoming, because this Jigsawry in the little bowler hat opens the way to the ingame tutorial.

Jigsawry: We've been forced to do TUTORIALS just to make ends meet. When the KING got power, he fired everyone and replaced all puzzle makers with HIM... ROUXLS KAARD... Lord of the Puzzles... Be careful!

How the hell do you pronounce that? Rowksls? Again, this looks suspiciously like an anagram, but unless the guy turns out to be commentary on how A RAD OX LURKS, I don't know what of.

There are four more Jigsawry on this screen, each of whom have their own aspect of the game to explain.

The guy on the far left, with three hats on, explains KRIS's abilities. Or... not really. He explains that if someone hits 0 HP, there's not a dedicated revival item, Phoenix-Down style. You just feed them an item or use Ralsei's healing magic.
Ralsei takes over the next point and describes how, since he always moves after Kris, that Ralsei can SPARE or PACIFY an enemy on the same turn that Kris did whatever needed to be done to make it SPARE-able or PACIFY-able.

Next guy over, wearing two hats, describes Susie. And in describing her, draws her attention, so most of his little explanatory poems end with him cowering a bit.
Anyhow, Susie always fights. She always fights the topmost enemy on the enemy side. If you WARN that enemy, it will evade her attacks, so you have time to ACT and SPARE them. ("So there's no reason to use it", according to Susie.)

Second guy from the right badly describes Ralsei's magic. Ralsei has to correct him and I've already explained what his magic does, so... moving on.

Rightmost guy explains the tension meter, as poorly as the other guys explain character abilities. So Ralsei again corrects the tutorial guy that TP does in fact translate directly to money after a battle, as I surmised before. (He also clarifies that it is indeed "tension points"... not "toilet paper".)

Right. That would have been about five times longer with an actual transcription. But each tutorial guy also shills for a donation...

And you can in fact put a dollar in the dollar hole. (They had a box, but it got stole.)

This echoes back to the Dog Shrine, added to the Playstation version of Undertale, so it never showed up in my LP. With the Playstation version came cheevos, because I'm pretty sure that Sony's policy is that no game can be without them. So Undertale got a Dog Shrine, where you could drop gold into the donation box, one at a time. After donating 350 gold, you'd earned all the achievements offered.

(The Switch release, in turn, wrecked the Dog Shrine and added a fight with Mad Mew Mew, i.e. the ghost formerly possessing the Mad Dummy had possessed a lifesized doll of an anime character that he stole out of some nerdy place... but that's neither here nor there.)

Anyway, this hole fills up after a single dark-dollar is placed inside. That's what the D in D$ stands for, it turns out. It's "dark dollars".

I'm probably going to stick with "muns".

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:11 am

Music: Lantern

You may have noticed the SHOP banner next to the save point previously. Inside is this sewn-up catlike fellow, who...

Hmm.

One eye round and the other blacked out... and a scar running drawing a line down his face... and the crescent shape of his mouth... the way this guy's face is drawn seems familiar somehow. I'm sure I've seen it before...

Now... where was it...

some other LP wrote:Image
Inside the room is... this guy.

...I'm sure it'll come to me sooner or later. Maybe I can ask Toriel, by calling her on my cellphone... if this weird interference ever goes away.

...why... do you need to clarify that? Are you fourth-wall-aware enough to know that you're communicating via text on a screen?

Seam: And this is my little Seap. Ha ha ha ha...

...or are you just setting up for a dad joke?

Seam: Over the years, I've collected odds and ends. 'Course, I've no attachment to any of it. It's just a hobby of mine. Around here, you learn to find ways to pass the time... ...or go mad like everyone else.

"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." It all makes sense, you're -- some kind of familiar face, man why can't I remember where I've seen you before -- crossed with a Cheshire Cat.

If you ask about Lightners:
Seam: Long ago, the Darkners lived in harmoney with the Lightners. They were like Gods to us. Our protectors. Our creators. Those who gave us purpose... Then, one day we were all locked away in this prison... And the Lightners never returned.

Hmm. Some of these story beats seem a little familiar, too.

Seam: Embittered, the King took up arms, and aims to take revenge upon the Lightners that left us behind. 'Course, even among his troops, some still distantly hope the Lightners will return...

Seam is the first character to use the term "Lightners" for someone from Kris's world, I think. And that's an anagram for "right lens"! And look, Seam has a button over his right eye! WHAT DOES IT MEAN

Ask about Kingdom:
Seam: Historically, this land was ruled by the Four Kings, from CARD CASTLE to the East. But recently, a strange knight appeared... And three of the kings were locked away. The remaining king put him and his strange son into power.

Four kings in Card Castle, presumably one of each suit. Knights don't typically factor into the face cards in a deck, though, and Lancer himself is a spade. Weird.

Seam: This land hasn't seen THIS much chaos since... Ha ha ha... Well, you don't need to know about THAT.

All right, Gerson, I'll come back after the game is over to hear your amusing anecdotes.

Declare "We're legendary":
Seam: Ha ha ha... So you are the "heroes" who are going to seal our Fountain? Ha, good luck. It makes no difference to me. Neither Light nor Dark hold a future for a Darkner in my condition.

Hmm.

Seam is willing to buy our chintzy junk, but I still don't know what the Glowshard does and I feel I might need healing items soon, so I don't have anything to part with.

He sells Dark Candies for 40 muns, Darkburgers for 70, an Amber Card piece of armor for 100, and a Spookysword for 200. I buy an Amber Card for Ralsei and Susie.

Postby Newbie » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:04 am

...holy shit, I finally understand Rouxls Kaard. God damn it. God damn it, Toby.
tiny text

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 am

if you need a hint, the "Roux" is pronounced like it was fake-French.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:46 am

oh FUCK OFF

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:46 am

zaratustra wrote:if you need a hint, the "Roux" is pronounced like it was fake-French.

I'm bad at french, spell it out please
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:50 am

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:10 am

Defenestration wrote:I'm bad at french, spell it out please

It's not even fake French. A "roux" is a mixture of butter and flour that's added to a soup or sauce to thicken it. It's pronounced "roo".

So in a game with characters themed around card suits, we skipped the obvious "the joker marks the outsider character" and went straight for the rules card -- the extra fifty-fifth card in a deck that gives some guidelines for how to score poker hands.

Toby, you sly Fox.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:50 pm

Not gonna lie, it was quite painful hearing Cryaotic miss that joke out loud. Still hoping he'll suddenly get it on stream.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:39 am

Lancer: Well, flip my flapjacks! The CLOWNS are back in TOWN! Well, bad news! Since you last saw me several minutes ago... I've created a brand new fighting team ready to stop you! Not even the purple girl can stop me now! Ho ho ho!!! Are you ready to be...
Susie: Stop. Stop talking. "Ho ho ho"? What is that. Why are you saying that.
Lancer: "Ho ho ho"? It's my evil laugh! Scary, right!?
Susie: You sound like baby Santa Claus.
Lancer: ...Uh, you mean, like, in a badass way...?
Susie: Shut up.

Lancer: W... well... I...
Susie: Wrong. Man, wannabe tough guys like you REALLY piss me off. Face it. You wouldn't know SCARY...
Susie: If it picked you up and bit your face off.
Lancer: Th-that's not true...
Susie: Oh, really?

Susie: We'll start with the part... Where your face gets bit off.

Aww shit she really gon do it

Lancer: Thank you, purple girl!
Susie: ...What?
Lancer: Thanks! It was kind of you! To teach me how to be scary! With an evil laugh!
Susie: Hey, I wasn't...
Lancer: And now...!

Lancer wriggles out of Susie's grip.

Lancer: AHHHHH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! Merry Christmas!

As Lancer scurries off, Susie wanders back to the party, musing "I guess that's KIND OF an improvement..."

Where Rudinns are easily convinced not to fight, Jigsawrys already don't want to. One "Befriend" ACTion is enough to get all three of them ready to Spare. The trick is remembering that before you can do that, you have to "Warn" them, because Susie is still swinging her axe all William-Nilliam.

It's an interesting spin on the Undertale formula. Before, you had to figure out which ACTions would effectively end the battle. Now you have one party member actively working against you while you do it.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:55 am

"Puzzle" is being pretty generous here, Ral.

Susie: Oh no.
Ralsei: Let's read the instructions!

There are two boxes and two switches. This ain't rocket surgery, Ral.

Ralsei: H... Huh!? The instructions are vandalized...! It says... "Thoust fools, thou will NEVER figure it out now!" Ruining instructions... That's definitely against the rules!
Ralsei: Then it, um, says, "PS - I make my own Rules. -RK"
Susie: Well, that explains that.

Yeah, I guess this is our first battle of wits with this Rowksls guy. Two boxes and two switches. Whom'st'd've ever thought?

Susie: Why don't we just climb over this spiked fence?
Ralsei: Umm, because then we'd get impaled and die...?
Susie: Cool, I'll work on that and you do the puzzle.
Ralsei: Umm, try your best, Kris!

Speak with Ralsei:
Ralsei: It should be simple, Kris! Press the boxes onto the switches with [Z]!
Susie: (Wait, who the hell is [Z]?)

Susie points out that anything she doesn't wanna do is Kris's job, so let's try not to give ourselves a stress headache puzzling out how to solve this one.

Susie is actually a little disappointed she didn't get to impale herself.

The next area has a fork in the road and a fight with two Rudinns and a Hathy. Up one branch is this also not-terribly-difficult puzzle, I just don't have the clues to do it yet. It shouldn't be too tough to remember, when I get to the castle I'll be documenting it here and won't have to take any other notes or anything.

Passing back through the fork I discover that enemies you've beaten return when you leave the screen and come back. So if I run into anything too troublesome up ahead, I can always grind for cash and go get better equipment, I guess.

Anyway, this path leads to a checkerboard sort of area. Although those statues there...

Are chess pawns. And some of them are enemies in disguise called Ponmen.

They are susceptible to Ralsei singing a few bars of his castle town theme as a lullaby -- and so is Susie, it seems.

There are also bits where you have to dash across the board as it lights up, and if you step on a portion while it's lighted, it sends you back to the beginning of the screen. It's not too tough.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:13 am

Lancer: The halfway point to our castle. Hmm... impressive. So, it's a shame... You won't make it a step further!!! 'Cause my GUYS are about to smash you into blood! Lots of blood! Splooshing blood! Very gross and bad!

(Dramatic lightning)

Lancer: Hey, purple girl, was that scarier?
Susie: Why are you asking ME!?
Lancer: Because you're really cool at being terrifying! I wanna be as scary as you!

Lancer: Yeah!!!
Susie: Well, that's stupid.
Susie: ...But, umm, the new laugh isn't as awful. And saying you'd turn us into blood is, uh, cool.
Susie: ...what the hell is up with the bucket, though?
Lancer: It's to put the blood in.
Susie: Oh.
Lancer: Yeah, I'm not, uh, supposed to make a mess. Anyway, thanks for your feedback! I'm feeling really scary!
Susie: ... ummm, no problem, I guess. Haha.
Susie: ... so are your guys gonna attack us, or...
Lancer: ...Oh! Yeah! ...I was so excited I forgot to bring any guys. But NEXT TIME, it'll be the END for--
Lancer: Hey, I've just been calling you guys CLOWNs... Does your team have an OFFICIAL NAME or something?

No.

Ralsei: Oh, Kris, we should come up with a name!

No, we shouldn't.

Susie: No, we shouldn't.

Yeah, I'm with Susie on this one.

Lancer: Then it's decided! Everyone puts a name in the bucket!

Lancer: Blue person, you can choose.

Kris is called out on her odd skin tone in-game. So it's not just a trick of the lighting in the Dark World, or whatever, she's really blue. Hmm.

Lancer: Since you look like you don't care.

Quite so.

Lancer has us down as something to do with clowns, I suppose. And Ralsei's neatly-folded pick is Team Shining Heroes Of Legend or something hokey. I'll go with the crumpled paper.

Lancer: OK!! And your name is...!
Lancer: ...Hmm.
Lancer: I don't think I'm allowed to say this one.
Susie: It's PRONOUNCED, "The $!%? Squad".
Lancer: Woah, I'm not allowed to say Tier-TWO swear words! Wow. You three's collective dad must be very cool.

I have no idea where Ralsei came from. I assume if Kris has an adoptive father then it's Asgore, who I'm sure would frown upon such language. I'll buy that Susie's dad probably either doesn't care or is extremely stressed out about his delinquent daughter and has no idea what to do about it.

Ralsei: Er, could we PERHAPS consider a DIFFERENT name?
Susie: Ralsei, you don't HAVE to be in our Squad.
Lancer: Yeah! How about I be in the Squad and YOU be the bad guy? Here. Call up my dad. Tell him he has a new son. One that has to take a shower every time he reads a swear word.

I doubt it, Ralsei doesn't seem to have an ounce of malice in him. You'd be better off trying to get Susie to switch sides, and see how your ultrastrict father deals with that.

Ralsei: OK, fine! We can keep the name! I just won't say it.
Lancer: Haha, me too! See ya, losers! It's shower time!

Let this be a lesson to you, Ral.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:05 pm

Mr. Elegance: Us on the Board used to have our own boss... those'n were peaceful times. But now, even the boss's been reduced to the King's peon...

Lampshading why a boss themed around cards is in charge of troops themed around chess pieces, okay fine.

Mr. Elegance: My name? Mr. Elegance. Haha, and these? These are my nostrils, not my eyes. ...can still see out of them, though.

I guess... you're supposed to be a chess knight? Process of elimination to reach that conclusion, mostly. Talking to the bishop on the right:

Mr. Society: Fear not - we, unlike the simple Ponmen, possess FULL faculty over our actions. I, Mr. Society, am far too intelligent to ever bow down to such a tyrant! Unless he asks me. He's very scary, you see.

And yet his son is the extremely doofy Lancer. idk

Mr. Society: What, you think you possess the power to topple that brute??? Yes! Yes! I'm sure everyone will support you! Go for it! Just as long as I don't have to participate!

Lancer: If it isn't the (name I'm not allowed to say). You boys or girls

I keep referring to Kris as a girl but technically they're as gender-neutral as Frisk was

Lancer: had better turn back while you can.
Ralsei: Lancer!!! What is it this time!?
Lancer: Hohoho... I'm simply warning you..! Something EXTREMELY dangerous is lying ahead! Hohoho! It's actually really inconvenient! Ha! I can't go home at all because I'm so scared!
Susie: Wh... What is it!?

Oh, that guy? No problem, Susie hit him this far with a single swing already.

Ralsei: Oh, hey, little guy...
Susie: THAT??? THAT'S what you're afraid of???
Lancer: W... Wow, purple girl! You aren't scared!?
Susie: Heh, why would I be? What's it gonna do?
Lancer: Hmm, well, normally...

Hey, all the way to the end of the board.

wait a second

Kris is unfazed, but everyone else is pretty shocked.

Lancer: It crushes people to death, I think.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:14 pm

K. Round. Because it's a checker that made it all the way across the board, and as a result, it got k-rowned. It's a bit less subtle than "Rouxls", so this joke's easy to get right off.

Anyhow, it doesn't understand that avoiding Susie's axe is an important thing to do, so it doesn't go on guard.

Kris and Ralsei can bow to Krowned as an ACTion.

Ralsei: That's it, Kris! If we can get its crown off... It should turn back into a little guy...! Susie! Help us bow at it!
Susie: Nah, it's crown'll come off... When I smash this guy into the GROUND!

Misplaced apostrophe hers.

Meanwhile Krowned is kicking up sparks and stomping around the bullet box with those long, shapely legs. Mettaton would be jealous.

After a few whacks from Susie, Krowned drinks a quart of name-brand almond milk to restore 300 HP and boost its attack. I didn't get a very good screenshot, but lol

Ralsei's cries that Susie should stop aggravating the damn thing go unheeded.

After some self-care, Krowned gets more aggressive, stomping and kicking up bullets at the same time.

Finally, and no thanks to Susie, Kris and Ralsei manage to bow the crown off its head.

Krowned shrinks back to its normal size and rolls away. Despite having an entirely full tension meter, I only get 25 muns for winning.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:30 pm

Susie: Yeah, yeah, I am pretty great, huh...?
Ralsei: Ummm, Susie...? Not to downplay your contributions, but... You... didn't actually help at all. You only made everything WORSE by attacking it. If you had just acted nice to it in the first place... We could have avoided that entire battle.
Susie: Huh? Are you FOR REAL? That thing was BLOODTHIRSTY!!! The only thing keeping it at bay was MY AX!
Ralsei: And, earlier, you terrorized those troops...
Susie: Those guys were ENEMIES. They're FOR terrorizing.
Lancer: Yeah! She's right!!!
Ralsei: And before that, you ate an innocent person's cake...
Susie: Cakes... are also my enemy.

Ralsei is not impressed by this summation of events.

Ralsei: Susie... Whether you like it or not... You're a hero. One with the power to bring peace to the future. Could you please start... acting like one?

Susie: I've been a pretty bad hero, haven't I?

Susie: From now on, I won't be such a rotten hero anymore.

Lancer: R... Really!? You're going to be on MY team?
Susie: Yeah, sounds way easier, honestly.
Ralsei: Susie, you can't just -
Lancer: Quiet, Toothpaste Boy! Susie is MY comrade now!
Susie: Hahaha, yeah, Toothpaste Boy!
Lancer: We're going to have monogrammed track jackets!
Susie: Yeah!
Lancer: And sleepovers! Where we tell each other secrets!
Susie: Ummm, yeah?
Susie: Anyway, uhh, see you guys never.
Lancer: Haha!! If you can even last that long!

Ralsei: Perhaps I shouldn't have been so hard on her.

Nah, you were as nice as you could possibly be about it. She's pretty deadweight when it comes to not smashing everything in sight. That's how she likes it, I suppose.

Ralsei: But, I just worry that if Susie is too eager to fight... Then...

We're all gonna have a Bad Time?

Ralsei: Well, let's just be kind to her, OK, Kris? I'm sure Susie'll come around soon!

We move from the Great Board to what is, as far as I can tell, the Scarlet Forest. And with this I'm finally caught up to where I played through the game in one sitting three and a half weeks ago! I can actually fire the game up and play it again! Crazy.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:02 pm

I'm abandoning this project. I don't have the time or energy to keep it up.

You know what else I don't do? Dirty Santa.

Get your info to Lyrai in the next half hour or you too will not be involved.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:28 pm