Tri Force Heroes
No votes
Breath of the Wild
6%

Total votes: 16
Friday

What's your favorite Zelda?

Postby Friday » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:16 am

Hello, this is Friday, age ten, okay nine but I'm turning ten next month, and I was having a discussion with a bunch of my friends about Zeldas and how different generations might like different Zeldas, you know, as you do.

Anyway, I made an assertion about what Zelda Millennials would probably like the most and my friends all were like HAHA WHAT NO FRIDAY YOU ARE WRONG and also NINE YEARS OLD.

So I was fuming about it later and then I thought, hey, wait a minute, I know a bunch of Millennials! I won't say what I said so as to not poison the well, but I would appreciate it if y'all would click a button and, if you like, explain why you love your favorite Zelda game the most below. Thanks!

EDIT:

To be absolutely clear, I want your FAVORITE Zelda, not the Zelda you consider "best". If that's one and the same game, that's fine.
ImageImageImage

nosimpleway

Re: What's your favorite Zelda?

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:52 am

I'm pretty sure the most recent Zelder I've played was Twilight Princess, in fragmented bits at someone else's house. Prior to that was Spirit Tracks, which wasn't very fun and I fell off it. I'd have to reevaluate my opinion of Wind Waker if I ever got my hands on the remaster that gives you the sail that lets you go across the ocean without stopping to play a song whenever you want to change direction. Before that was Oracle of Ages/Seasons, which wasn't very fun but I finished them anyway.

So my favorite Zeldo is like 20 years old because I am an oldmans who doesn't play new video games

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:57 am

Link's Awakening is the best Zelda because it is the least Zelda.

The only objectively wrong answer is Spirit Tracks.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:36 pm

nosimpleway wrote:I'm pretty sure the most recent Zelder I've played was Twilight Princess, in fragmented bits at someone else's house. Prior to that was Spirit Tracks, which wasn't very fun and I fell off it. I'd have to reevaluate my opinion of Wind Waker if I ever got my hands on the remaster that gives you the sail that lets you go across the ocean without stopping to play a song whenever you want to change direction. Before that was Oracle of Ages/Seasons, which wasn't very fun but I finished them anyway.

So my favorite Zeldo is like 20 years old because I am an oldmans who doesn't play new video games

Yeah or more less the same, except the Oracle games were actually the last ones I played.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:20 pm

I stand by my vote, but I gotta say that Between Worlds is pretty good but not my favorite, and I liked Oracle of Seasons but hated Oracle of Ages, which if I remember correctly, was the opposite of most people's views on it back in the day.

Postby Newbie » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:26 pm

Making me choose between Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask is heartbreaking. If you ask me again, I'll probably answer differently, but for now I'm giving it to the game I wrote about in February.

Link's Awakening was the first Zelda I owned and the first I beat, and it's still got the best overall dungeons in the franchise, even if some of Twilight Princess's dungeons reach greater heights.

My third place spot goes to Four Swords Adventures because nostalgia is too strong a force for BotW to overcome.

In summary, ranked choice Zelda voting when pls
tiny text

Metal Slime

Postby Metal Slime » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:12 pm

I'm a basic bitch but in 2d Zeldas, Link to the Past is my favorite, and in 3d Zeldas it's still Ocarina of Time even if it objectively isn't the best since it's the one I can consistently go back to and still feel an echo of that first time I played it.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:33 am

In summary, ranked choice Zelda voting when pls

Funny you should mention this. You'll see why in a few days!

Majora's Mask

I'll let you in on a little bit of me and my friends conversation: None of them think much of MM. I told them they'd be surprised how many people really love the game and would rate it as their favorite, and they didn't believe me. I think it's sort of a sap/Undertale situation. I have always maintained that Undertale will be a game a person will greatly love only if they are a sap. I think MM is the same. So much of the game's appeal is in it's emotional impact, if you don't care about that kind of thing and play games for the mechanical stuff only, you probably will find MM annoying and repetitive. I don't think MM and Undertale are unenjoyable for non-saps, but you can't really love them if you're the type of person who never feels much when watching a movie or reading a book or playing a game "because it's not real."

Anyway, MM wasn't the game I said would probably be the most liked Zelda by Millennials.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:54 am

Metal Slime wrote:in 3d Zeldas it's still Ocarina of Time even if it objectively isn't the best since it's the one I can consistently go back to and still feel an echo of that first time I played it.

Word.

sei

Postby sei » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:57 am

if you don't care about that kind of thing and play games for the mechanical stuff only
Yeah, that'd be me. It was between LttP and ALBW for me for that reason. I have more nostalgia for the former, but I was pretty consistently impressed with the latter when I played through it and it took a lot of what I liked about LttP and expanded on it, so it got my vote.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:41 am

Link Between Worlds added neat mechanics, but also added modern Zelda herpes like dumping a bunch of text vomit at a game that originally used text pretty sparingly, and collecting 100 skulltulas whining baby squid things. Unlike most "optional" collect-a-thons, you can't even ignore these, because the fuckers will keep shrieking at you every time you pass by a hundred different locations until you pick them up.

Take this two hour video of cut scenes. After almost a minute of hey listen OI OH sounds before you can even get out of bed, you then get about three seconds of character control before it hijacks another minute of your time with a save point tutorial, then stupid text/screen scrolls you to you your next objective. The act of taking camera control away from the player and force panning to your objective runs directly counter to the "just see for yourself what's on the next screen" design philosophy of classic Zelda.

ALTTP railroads you to your first dungeon, but after the initial text crawl w/Zelda, you largely just go about doing your thing.

While I enjoyed the gameplay of ALBW, I hated the *experience* of playing it. So what I'm basically saying is that OoT ruined everything forever, fuck anything after the SNES era

.....amazing Dark World arrangement though nm 10/10

pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

sei

Postby sei » Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:05 am

I wish skip dialog/cut scenes options were more consistent in games beyond just Zelda.

The dialog/story stuff made Skyward Sword agonizing to start.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:33 pm

The best part is that the pre-actual-gameplay cutscenes in Link Between Worlds has at least two instances of an NPC going "Hey why haven't you done that thing I said already?" when the answer is "because you haven't shut the fuck up for long enough for me to assume control of my character"

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:59 pm

The only time I have ever enjoyed a game's opening text dump was when I played MGS3.

It remains one of the most surreal experiences of my life. By the time some girl was lecturing Snake about Godzilla, I remember thinking "is this a joke game? Is this game just meant to be taken completely as a meme?"

.....amazing Dark World arrangement though nm 10/10

whoa whoa whoa this song, while amazing, does not have either cat ear flap hoo or a pisa katto ending or a line that is "do not throw souls" and is therefore hardcapped at 9/10
ImageImageImage

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:34 pm

I really, really loved A Link Between Worlds. I think it's legitimately my favorite.

I am also a huge Minish Cap Enjoyer so make of that what ye will

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Wed May 03, 2023 9:50 am

hi i’m not brentai but i am the only one who answered zelda 1. link to the past was amazing the first time i played it, but the legend of zelda is amazing every time. i’m also a big metroid 1 enjoyer and generally have more nostalgia for nes than snes.

the newest zelda i’ve finished is link between worlds but before that it was minish cap. i played a bit of breath of the wild on wii u but never got off the plateau. i also loved oracle of seasons and hated ages.

i turn 40 on monday and my favorite anime franchise is pretty cure, which started when i was 20. i don’t know why that felt relevant, maybe the part about being nine years old