Hottest SNES Game (Ro64)

Moderators: Friday, LaserBeing

Niku

Re: Hottest SNES Game (Ro64)

Postby Niku » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:38 am

Final Fight is a terrible port of a great game. Killer Instinct is an at the time impressive but terrible port of a terrible game. Mortal Kombat 2 is probably the best game in a terrible series. Out of this World is a genuine masterpiece that holds up to this day in terms of atmosphere and visuals, even if the trial and error gameplay has aged terribly, and easily the better of its contemporary attempts at adventure / puzzle platformers. Mortal Kombat 2 squeaks in to give something else a pass next round, Out of this World.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:40 am

Out of this World gets a vote because it is an absolute beauty and triumph of video gaming. Killer Instinct gets an equal vote because it came in a black SNES cart when I got it as a kid and had a talking skeleton.

Classic

Postby Classic » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:35 pm

Street Fighter was adequate to great. For me, Street Fighter 2's SNES version is a definitive version.

François

Postby François » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:28 pm

Niku wrote:Final Fight is a terrible port of a great game.

I was a Genesis kid, so I only played the SNES Final Fight long after I had played Streets of Rage 1 through 3. And my first impression, as well as all my impressions thereafter, were "what is this crap".

i think haggar would probably still beat max though, i'm not that much of a heretic

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:12 pm

Out of this World at 9, and a three way tie for 2nd with KI, MK2, and #ff at 6.

Random dice roll...

Advancing: Out of this World, Killer Instinct
Eliminated: Mortal Kombat 2, Final Fight

Next up:

28. SoulBlazer
45. Super Mario Kart
12. Chrono Trigger
20. Donkey Kong Country 2
ImageImageImage

Grath

Postby Grath » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:33 pm

Who put two votes and didn't put Chrono Trigger as one of them? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

François

Postby François » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:36 pm

That would be me. Chrono Trigger has some of the greatest music but the combat system bores me to tears. Also I didn't play it until I had a computer that could emulate it, so I didn't exactly see it at the height of its splendor and I have zero nostalgia for it. And I don't care for the art style, which is strange because I like Dragon Quest a lot.

I also liked Chrono Cross slightly better, if that'll help cement me as a TOTAL WEIRDO.

Classic

Postby Classic » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:15 pm

I think Chrono Trigger might have been better i they had a few more bytes to make the invisible/mandatory ambush battles visible and avoidable.
But Dual (and 3.) Techs feel really good. If I had to make a dumb, dumb analogy, they're the party banters of a good BioWare game. They infuse a surprising amount of personality in the characters, and suddenly make the way characters interact with one another part of your calculus of choosing your party.

Rico

Postby Rico » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:14 pm

Hardest vote yet. DKC2 is a great game but Mario Kart wins for being iconic.

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:44 pm

Four heavy fucking hitters. Super Mario Kart is still one of the absolute best in a series with seven sequels, not just on the basis of creating the series, but in still being legitimately fun to play with a feel that has never been replicated. Soul Blazer is classic Enix weirdness grafted to a fun dungeon crawling Zelda-alike with fantastic story vignettes. Donkey Kong Country 2 is the least terrible of a fucking awful series, at least until Returns came around, and has amazing music to bolster its lackluster gameplay. Chrono Trigger is one of the absolute highlights of the 16-bit era.

Logistically Chrono Trigger and Mario Kart take this for me, but as much as I love Chrono Trigger, Soul Blazer actually has more nostalgia for me while being an objectively worse game. Soul Blazer and Mario Kart.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:05 pm

I like Chrono Cross more than Chrono Trigger but respect it for inspiring the story that was originally going to be way better in CC and amazing music.

Mario Kart is of course one of the most classic games ever but MK64 is my personal classic since I never owned an actual SNES.

So Chrono Trigger and Soul Blazer take this round for me.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:11 pm

Can someone please describe the appeal of Chrono Cross to me?

As I see it,

Pros:
Fucking gorgeous
Amazing soundtrack
EDIT: Harle

Cons:
Forgettable cast
Shitty battle system
Meh story
Dumb-as-fuck TWEESTS
EDIT: oh god the accent filters
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:58 pm

A lot of the cast was actually pretty great. The story is a bit generic, but not when it's the example to which you compare other stories and not the other way around.

The battle system was not shitty. It was interesting, and certainly broken, but it gave a lot of interesting things to do in what would have otherwise been a very basic turn based combat system. It still has the party combos, but a lot more customization on top of it.

The story is basically Lain in that it blows your mind against the wall until you realize it's not deep, just confusing and makes very little sense. But too late, your brain has been blown and that's what you remember.

Moments that were very good at getting across the emotional weight they carried. Though notably almost none of them would actually get those emotions, but that was the fault of the lead-ups to those moments more than the moments themselves.

And tie it all together with a pretty pink bow of HOLY FUCK THIS INTRO

Kayma

Postby Kayma » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:42 pm

Chrono Cross' biggest problem is being the follow up to Chrono Trigger.

.... and having 100+ characters that you don't care about.

Voted Trigger and Kart. DKC2 was a smart game with some incredible tunes, but Kart edges it out I think. SoulBlazer I never fucked with, but Gaia and Terranigma are probably better anyway.

Kishi

Postby Kishi » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:50 pm

My first Mario Kart was 64, and I've never had any luck trying to get into the original. Soul Blazer is tempting, but DKC2 is a fantastic game with level design that should be studied by anyone who wants to make games. It has one of the best soundtracks on the system, too, which is saying a lot.

The other vote goes to Chrono Trigger, because I'm not crazy.

Classic

Postby Classic » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:56 pm

I bashed my idiot head into the original mario kart for a long, long time.
It's a game where the computer obviously doesn't play by the same rules as a human, and its obnoxious about it to varying degrees. Each NPC racer right? They have a set power that they use, instead of drawing from item tiles. For DK it's bananas, which are kind of a joke. For Koopa Troopa it's a green shell. For the Mario Bros.? They get starmen.

EDIT:
MOTHERFUCKING STARMEN.

You know how you play that game? You play it two player so you can take that bullshit out of play!

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:19 am

Kishi wrote:My first Mario Kart was 64, and I've never had any luck trying to get into the original.

Ditto for me. I voted for teh crono triger

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:35 pm

CT with 12, SoulBlazer and Mario Kart tied for 2nd at 7.

Hmmm.

I feel weird eliminating such a classic, but thems the breaks.

Advancing: Chrono Trigger, SoulBlazer
Eliminated: Super Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country 2

Next up:

39. Ogre Battle
31. R-Type III
63. Wild Guns
54. Legend of the Mystical Ninja
ImageImageImage

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:40 pm

Ogre Battle's cool. Like MarioKart, the original is outshined by the N64 counterpart, but the original's pretty decent.

Classic

Postby Classic » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:02 pm

The N64 counterpart is one of those things I never played. But it exhibits 2 deadly sins!

1- Not headed by some weird Japanese guy that I am mysteriously affectionate for.
2- They fix a canon MC for Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, which is sort of a downer.