1. A Link to The Past
58%
3. Mega Man X
42%

Total votes: 19
pacobird

Re: Hottest SNES Game (Ro8, Semifinals)

Postby pacobird » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:02 pm

Whatever man, I don't begrudge anyone's success and if he makes enough money off of this to not have to work, I'm happy for him

But he is pretty bad, and if you'd like a list of the reasons why I'd be happy to provide

Classic

Postby Classic » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:06 pm

I'm thinking you get into it and two years down the line, you realize that you've got a mountain-man beard and a cat and are everything you used to hate.

What I'm saying is go for it?

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:34 pm

The first thing you notice is the video itself. The multi-camera LOOK AT ALL THESE PARTS I'M SINGING thing is pretty common for youtube singers and is pretty fertile for deconstruction on its own (why do you need us to see you're using a studio mic? if you were playing a piano, we'd just have a shot of your hands; why do you need to mug for the camera like you're on American Idol? oh wait; I just answered my own question), but this one's particularly noteworthy.

First, his head-bobbing and constant twitching away from the studio mic 4 inches from his face (and the cat), which would be UNBELIEVABLY HOT (the mic) if we were not in Baudrillard Hyperreality here, means he's either lipsynching or going through massive postproduction to change his levels. Either way, he is indeed fixing the tracks like crazy after the fact, which I'll get to later, but for now the question is: why bother? Why record yourself lipsynching shit nine times if it has nothing to do with the actual recording?

The reason is to trick the audience in to thinking his arrangements are more complex than they actually are. You can really see it in the Spark Mandrill piece; he splits melody/counterpoint lines like crazy so he can look like he's trading them across voice parts, and he even splits his simple/bad beatboxing. This would, again, be REALLY noticeable on the track unless he's either mixing it like crazy or actually only recording three or four parts + beatbox line. If you are not yet convinced he sucks, then at the very least he's pretty mendacious.

To be fair, he's doing video game songs, and moreover he's not doing anything past the PSX era when sound cards and memory actually started letting composers write interesting arrangements to go with their catchy, simple melodies, but to let him off the hook for this is to dare-I-say cheapen what you actually ought to be doing if you want a cappella to be interesting. Direct transcription is not only boring, but pointless, because you're never going to achieve the kind of fidelity you want with your voice. If you la la la your way through it you sound like a children's choir (which he does) and if you try to imitate instruments you're going to sound like an idiot. The key is to take an instrumental song and turn it into an interesting vocal piece*, which he's not even a little bit interested in doing.

And it makes sense that he's not, because oh god does this guy have zero confidence in his voice and technique. The first thing you need to "master" if you're going to be a good-to-great singer is breath technique. The reason for this is once you get some control over your general lung capacity and breathing, you can control your pitch to it and create I wide range of timbre, volume, range, etc. It really comes down to breath control. McGroove, however, spends 100% of his time in his head register, squeaking out the lightest falsetto possible. This is the hallmark of someone with no idea how to sing, because no singing requires less breath than a quiet falsetto. Of course, if you do that, you'll be working with an extremely limited range and even less volume, so it's a good thing none of his arrangements extend more than an octave or (and this is the really damning thing) require him to sing louder than piano.

Should I go on?

EDIT: Again, I'm not bothered by his success and I'm always happy to see somebody not have to work for a living. But video game songs, BECAUSE they're so catchy, iconic, and deeply simplistic, could produce some really interesting and fun vocal arrangement and one-man a cappella gives you the opportunity to play around with goofy arrangements without having to worry about what other singers can or want to do. It's a wasted opportunity.

*when people ask what I think a cappella covers should aspire to, I usually recommend the Real Group

Classic

Postby Classic » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:40 pm

pacobird wrote:PINEAPPLE CATS AND BEARDS!!!!

*when people ask what I think a cappella covers should aspire to, I usually recommend the Real Group

The "it" I was suggesting you get into is the youTube a-capella biz. Not... Criticizing a mountain beard man and his cat. I feel like that's a way less marketable and interesting skill.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:41 pm

I have a full life, Classic. :)

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:55 pm

(maybe if I get a month or two off between jobs I'll look in to it. Look out for my 60's motown style cover of valestein castle from ys 3)

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:03 pm

pacobird wrote:(maybe if I get a month or two off between jobs I'll look in to it. Look out for my 60's motown style cover of valestein castle from ys 3)

but will there be cat?
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:08 pm

my videos will all be pictures of Stella, Ernie, and Miss Reeses Pieces showing their snuggly bellies

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:40 pm

I was so ready for LttP to be knocked Down a notch or two. Alas.

Classic

Postby Classic » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:51 pm

I think this just proves that it's the superior JRPG. I credit its more rewarding grinding experience.

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:42 pm

THERE HAVE TO BE THREE MORE MEGA WARRIORS SOMEWHERE

PERHAPS BEARING PENDANTS THAT WILL OPEN THE MEGA DARK WORLD

Classic

Postby Classic » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:14 pm

GBA-ONLY RPGS DO NOT COUNT!

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:40 am