The Brontogames (IT and Rules)

Moderators: Friday, LaserBeing

Friday

The Brontogames (IT and Rules)

Postby Friday » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:06 am

BLAME MONGREL

A forum game for 12-24 players.

Be the last Bronto standing. Allied victories are not permissible. I think the first game would be better with lower amounts of players (12-16) to decrease my workload and playtest for a larger game, but I'll run the full 24 if I get em. (which I doubt.)

The Basics:

You get one action per day, and one action per night. Night actions have special modifiers that inhibit you, so it's best to sleep during these hours. However, it's also best to hunt others and take them by surprise. All actions will be sent to me via PM or #finalfight.

Any action has a base chance to succeed or go wrong, then is modified by your traits and what gear you have (or don't have). This is a game of chance and skill. Do everything right and die. Do everything wrong and win. (Just kidding. Only Envy has that power.)

A Bronto can withstand up to 4 injuries. A 5th injury will kill that Bronto. There are also things that will kill you regardless of how many injuries you have. Injuries can be healed by medkits, but are otherwise permanent. Some injuries are serious, which will add additional injuries per full day/night cycle that passes. Serious injuries can also be healed by medkits. Each injury reduces all checks you make by 4%.

Injuries can be accumulated by exposure, thirst, hunger, or combat. They are indentical regardless of cause, though you can only get a serious injury through combat or special events.

A Bronto who gets a kill gains one popularity, which increases the maximum amount of times he or she can receive an item from a Sponsor. A kill also increases all combat checks by 2% permanently. (Level up.)

All forum members who are not playing the game may be a Sponsor up to twice. The second item may not be given until 7 full days have passed.

Traits:

(Baseline stats: Combat: 35%, Carry up to 4 units, 3 popularity.)

Every Bronto has three chosen traits, picked before the game begins. They are:

Tough: You may accumulate up to five injuries without dying.
Tracker: You gain +10% to your tracking and hunting.
Trapper: You gain +20% to your hunting.
Weathered: You are 20% less likely to take an injury from exposure.
5th Level Khef: You are 10% less likely to take an injury from thirst or hunger.
Fighter: Gain 3% to all combat checks.
Boxer: Gain 7% to combat checks while unarmed.
Swordsman: Gain 7% to combat checks while wielding a sword.
Lancer: Gain 7% to combat checks while wielding a spear.
Marksman: Gain 7% to combat checks while wielding a bow or throwing knives.
One-Eyed-Black-Cyclops: Gain 25% to combat checks while using explosives, and you cannot blow yourself up.
Light Sleeper: You are 25% less likely to be taken by surprise while asleep.
Boy Scout: You do not need flint to start a fire.
I make cakes: You are 20% less likely to be found while tracked specifically, and half as likely as all others to be found by random tracking.
Berryology: You can tell the difference between poisonous berries and edible ones. 10% to your hunting.
Hardy: You can carry an additional 2 units.
Stealthy: You are 20% less likely to alert another Bronto when attempting to sneak past them.
Runner: You are 15% less likely to be caught when running, and 15% more likely to catch another Bronto running away.
Popular: You begin with 5 popularity instead of 3.
Good Nose: You gain +20% to finding water.

Gameplay:

The game begins with all Brontos participating in the Cornucopia event.

Any Bronto may:

1. Escape at any time. This immediately ends your participation and puts you in The Open.

2. Search the outer circle. This gives you a 50% chance to find any one-two non-weapon gear.

3. Search the inner circle. This gives you a 50% chance to find any one weapon.

Brontos who search the outer ring will have the option to attack any other Bronto in the outer ring after the search phase ends.

Brontos who search the inner ring will have the option to attack any other Bronto in the inner or outer ring after the search phase ends.

The Cornucopia event continues until all players but one are either dead or have fled to The Open. The one who stays until all other have fled or dies gains initial control of The Cornucopia. He or she will gain whatever equipment they want to max capacity, and then destroy the rest.

There are no alliances possible until the Cornucopia event ends.

Once the event ends, the main game begins and all players take their first action.

Actions:

During the day or night, you may:

1. Hunt for food. This has a base 35% chance to succeed, with a result of (50%) berries, (30%) rabbit, and (20%) deer. Berries may be poisonous (20% chance) which will give you an injury if you eat them, and do not reduce your hunger. Berries reduce two hunger, rabbits three, and deer four. You may carry excess food.

2. Hunt for water. This has a base 35% chance to succeed, with a result of (50%) puddle, (30%) brooke, and (20%) stream. Puddles reduce two thirst, brookes three, and streams four.

3. Track. You may track specific Brontos or just track at random. Tracking a specific Bronto has a base 40% chance to succeed. Tracking random has a base 60% chance to succeed and will get you a random Bronto.

4. Sleep. You must sleep once per day/night cycle or take a point of Fatigue. Each point of Fatigue is worse, the first reduces all checks by 5%, the next 10%, and the third 15%, for a total of 30% reduction. You cannot have more than three points of fatigue. Sleeping removes all fatigue. While you are asleep, anyone who finds you gains a 50% chance to surprise you, automatically inflicting an injury (70%) a serious injury (20%) or killing you (10%) should they choose. If you sleep at night, you have a 40% chance to take an injury from exposure if you do not light a fire. Lighting a fire required flint and increases your chance to be specifically tracked by 20%, and you are twice as likely to be the result of a random track.

5. Move to location. The locations are: The Cornucopia, The Lake, The Open. You may attempt to sneak when you move to the Cornucopia or The Lake. This gives you a 50% chance to avoid any Brontos in the area, though this check is rolled per Bronto that was present at the start of the turn. If you are caught while sneaking, any Bronto that catches you gets a free attack before you can respond if they so choose.

Night actions are similar, but all chances of success are reduced by 10%, except sneaking, which is increased by 20%.

Locations:

The Cornucopia: The Bronto to win the event will control this area initially. You will not gain hunger while at this location, and you will reduce your hunger by 1 for each full day/night you stay here. Any other Bronto entering this area will enter Confrontation with you. Rations can be found here.

The Lake: You will not gain thirst while at this location, and you will reduce your thirst by 1 for each full day/night you stay here. Any other Bronto entering this area will enter Confrontation with you. Full canteens can be found here.

The Open: Hidden, but with no supplies.

Hunger, Thirst

For each full day/night cycle that passes, all Brontos will gain 1 point of hunger and thirst. At 3 points, you have a 10% chance at the start of the turn to take an injury. This increases by 10% per point above 3.

Confrontation

After everyone PMs me their actions, I will resolve any Confrontations in thread.

A Bronto may:

1. Offer alliance
2. Run away
3. Attack

Any Bronto offering alliance that is attacked does not get to attack back in the first round of combat.

If you run away, the other Bronto may choose to pursue. They have a base 50% chance to catch you and either Offer alliance or attack. If you are caught and attacked after running away, you do not get to attack back, and cannot run away again the next round.

If both Brontos offer alliance, an alliance is formed between them. They may now work together. Any Bronto in an alliance may betray,as an action, automatically inflicting an injury (60%), a serious injury (25%) or instant death (15%) to any/all others in the alliance. Any alliance that is the sole group left will automatically break up and teleport all Brontos in it into The Open.

Combat:

Combat rolls take place at the same time, except with regards to weapon range.

If a combat check succeeds, they inflict an injury (60%), a serious injury (25%) or instantly kill (15%).

Bows shoot first in combat, followed by throwing knives, then spears, then swords. After the first round, this advantage is lost, though a Bronto retains the extra % chance to combat checks granted by the weapon.

Bows grant 5% to combat checks, and 10% to hunting food.
Throwing knives grant 8% to combat checks, and 5% to hunting food.
Spears grant 10% to combat checks.
Swords grant 15% to combat checks.

All weapons take up one unit in your inventory.

Once a round has passed, each player may privately choose whether to run away or continue to fight. This cycle continues until one side is dead or has run away.

When alliances fight, it's one on one, except in the case where one side outnumbers the other. In that case, two or more may gang up on any target.

Any dead Bronto drops all his weapons/gear and the winner takes whatever he/she/they want and destroy the rest/what they can't carry.

Events:

Certain events will happen at random:

Rain: All Brontos who do not light a fire during this time will take one injury from exposure, unless you have the weathered trait, which reduces this chance to 50%. Refills all canteens. Prevents Thirst from accumulating that cycle. Rain will be announced the cycle before it happens, and only lasts either 1 day or 1 night.

Hounds: All Brontos must fight or escape a hound. Hounds have 40% combat check, but can only take 2 injuries instead of 3 without dying. A serious injury inflicted on a hound instead kills it. This event happens with no warning. If hounds attack an alliance, there will be a random amount of them, ranging from 1 to the number of people in your alliance at that location. A killed hound counts as a deer to the one that killed it.

Feast: The Cornucopia will be refilled with gear. This event will be announced one full day/night cycle before it takes place, and will only take place once, and never before day 7.

Fire: All Brontos in The Open must either move to another location or risk an injury (50%).

Other mysterious events may occur!

Items:

Aside from weapons, other items exist:

(The game rules state that you may not carry more than 1 Backpack, 1 Jacket, 1 Flint, and two of any other item.)

Backpack: Increases max carry capacity from 4 to 6.
Canteen: Prevents thirst from accumulating 2 times. Can be refilled at any water source.
Flint: You may start fires.
Rations: Prevents hunger from accumulating 2 times.
Jacket: Reduces chance of taking damage from exposure by half.
Explosives: Can only be used once during combat. For that round, you have a 70% combat check. Gone on use. 10% chance to blow yourself up, instead, taking normal damage (70% injury, 20% serious, 10% slain)
Medkit: Removes any injury. Gone on use.

Sponsors:

Anyone not playing the game may PM me with the desire to send a specific non-weapon item or a random weapon to any Bronto. You may only do this twice, and the second time must be the 7th day or later.

more rules to come

I'm tired now

If you're interested in playing/have questions sign up here
ImageImageImage

nosimpleway

Re: The Brontogames (IT and Rules)

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:05 am

Ooh, luck-based missions with generally low overall chances of success. This is the perfect time to be R2! Count me in.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:48 am

In.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:45 am

In

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:03 pm

I volunteer

Classic

Postby Classic » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:59 pm

Is this the one where we are told to "ride chrome"?

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:55 pm

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:05 pm

<Esperath> re: brontogames
<Esperath> how are multiple combats resolved
<Esperath> namely, if a person attacks someone else, but is also attacked
<Esperath> which goes first
<Esperath> is it resolved round by round
<Friday> during the cornocopia event or main game?
<Esperath> both
<Friday> during event you just get one free attack
<Friday> they don't attack back
<Esperath> I see
<Friday> during confrontation it's resolved round by round
<Esperath> so you just hit with whatever combat check you have
<Friday> if there are mutliple people at same location who all moved there at same time, a special confrontation occurs
<Friday> during event yeah
<Friday> basically the only repurcussion to attacking during event is it'll piss off the person you attacked
<Esperath> okay, for main game though, let's do the scenario I mentioned
<Esperath> three-way combat that's independently initiated
<Friday> ok
<Esperath> A attacks B attacks C
<Esperath> B is now in double combat
<Friday> then each person chooses a normal option, picking their target
<Esperath> for example, can B propose alliance C, while running from A?
<Friday> no running ends but otherwise yes
<Esperath> also, let's say they all fight each other at once
<Esperath> do all injuries get sustained simultaneously?
<Friday> yeah
<Esperath> so injuries don't affect double combat until next round
<Friday> the penalties don't take effect till next
<Esperath> at which point you might have two injuries
<Friday> yeah
<Esperath> k
<Esperath> also, can you not find equipment besides rations/canteens after cornucopia
<Esperath> only through sponsors?
<Friday> or killing other players
<Friday> but yes
<Esperath> http://i.imgur.com/wHqUzp3.png
<Friday> also feast will happen after day 7
<Friday> with increasing chance to occur
<Friday> which refills cornucopia
<Esperath> if you kill a hound can you eat it
<Friday> hahah i was just gonna add that
<Esperath> also, winner of cornucopia, I assume, can immediately heal to full by using unlimited medkits?
<Friday> yes
<Friday> i just added rain refills canteens and prevents thirst that cycle
<Esperath> backpack doesn't count as item toward item limit purposes also?
<Friday> correct
<Esperath> hm, you nerfed combat bonuses
<Friday> yep
<Friday> but now kills increases combat checks perm by 3#
<Friday> 3%
<Esperath> I see
<Friday> 2%
<Friday> rather
<Esperath> you've tweaked a lot of the values, haha
<Friday> yep
<Esperath> if you're in the outer circle turn 1, you can search inner circle turn 2, right?
<Friday> yep
<Esperath> sponsor can't happen until after cornucopia?
<Friday> correct
<Esperath> also, betray doesn't specifically mention removing the member from the alliance
<Esperath> is this a covert betrayal?
<Esperath> or just assumed that they're out of alliance
<Friday> yeah it removes them from alliance
<Friday> they teleport to The Open after
<Esperath> I sort of want to be a sponsor, just so I can give Romosome explosives
<Friday> hahahahaha
<Friday> i don't know if he'll play
<Esperath> make him
<Esperath> he is required as victor of brontogames one
<Friday> hahaha
<Esperath> it would be hilarious if like
<Esperath> night 1
<Esperath> romo has 15 explosives
<Friday> hahahahaha
<Esperath> WHY CAN'T I HOLD ALL OF THESE GRENADES
<Friday> well max popularity prevents that
<Friday> he could take popular trait and get 5
<Friday> night 1
<Esperath> romosome is autopopular
<Friday> Doge trait
<Friday> max pop 10
<Friday> automatically eats poisonous berries
<Friday> cannot use ranged weapons
<Friday> +10% explosives
<Esperath> can wield knife in teeth
<Esperath> rar
<Friday> posting this to thread
ImageImageImage

LaserBeing

Postby LaserBeing » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:06 pm

hi its me

hi

i'll play

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:07 pm

Also, if you come across a sleeping Bronto, you can instead steal an item from them if you pass a sneak check. This ends your interaction with them (you can't steal and then attack.)

If you fail the sneak check, they wake up and Confrontation occurs. A Light Sleeper has a 25% higher chance to wake up/fail your sneak chance.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:20 pm

Rain is the most common event, occurring at a flat rate of 15%, checked every day/night except during rain or the day/night immediately after.

Hounds is rare and will not occur before day 5.

The Feast, as mentioned above, gains in chance to occur until it occurs.

Fire is rare, but not as rare as Hounds.

Other events are rare and include things like "Everyone gets a random item from a mysterious sponsor" (this doesn't count against max pop)
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:06 pm

I've got 7 players. Need 5 more.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:35 pm

oh yeah this part is important:

There is a giant Holoboard in the Sky:

All information about all players is public to all players. This means everyone knows what items you have, how many injuries you have, how hungry and thirsty you are, how fatigued you are, etc.

The holoboard is updated with everyone's status at the end of each day and night.

This doesn't mean that people can snipe you while you sleep, because actions take place at the same time. If you decide to sleep, by the time people know about it, you'll be awake again. You can only find someone asleep by:

1. Waiting for them to get fatigued and assuming they'll try to sleep it off, and tracking them:
2. Getting lucky
ImageImageImage

Kazz
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Kazz » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:57 pm

Kazz: Decreases chance of game going well by 20%.
the best kazz around

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:51 pm

More like increases chance by 100% that the game will be 20% more awesome
ImageImageImage

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:54 pm

I haven't read a single word of this thread yet, but I'm in.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:56 pm

the gist of it is R^2 dies because he can't succeed on a single roll
ImageImageImage

Romosome

Postby Romosome » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:03 am

hi yes hello i heard we are playing a thing

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:05 am

Two more.
ImageImageImage

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:53 am

Friday wrote:the gist of it is R^2 dies because he can't succeed on a single roll

The chance to not step off of the sensor before the signal at the very beginning, and get blown up before anything actually happens, is 99%... and guess what