Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: The 75th Annual Brontogames

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:49 am

Next time, Gadget! Next time!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:26 am

Honestly, I think it's 103% cool and awesome that you guys are all chomping away at a new Knytt chapter, and if a random wolf game or whatever gets sidelined in the process, lol, not exactly a huge loss there.

As for the game itself, I think Klazzrel turning into a juggernaut loaded with loot probably killed a ton of enthusiasm from players who weren't in our war party. Which is kind of a shame in a way, because we actually meant to offer alliance to, well, probably anyone who asked now that Niku was dead. Laser attacking Newbie was actually due to ~comedic team miscommunication~

I don't know how that was going to end, but I'm sure it would have been silly.

LaserBeing

Postby LaserBeing » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:58 am

Mongrel wrote:Laser attacking Newbie was actually due to ~comedic team miscommunication~

uh, yeah

that's totally what it was :roll:

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:08 am

So you were going to anyway? Pretty sure the rest of us didn't want to?

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:08 am

For the record, my Action Flowchart was:
If I have fatigue, sleep.
If I have thirst or hunger, hunt for appropriate thing, prioritizing greater need, then water if they're tied.
If I have empty inventory slots, hunt for food.
If I have no fatigue, thirst, or hunger, with a full inventory (probably of foods): Track for random brontos, to offer alliance of "I have food, don't kill me".

If encountered: offer alliance

Classic

Postby Classic » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:35 pm

He's ugly as sin though. I thought that the Republican party was at least supposed to be somewhat pretty?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:52 pm

Classic wrote:He's ugly as sin though. I thought that the Republican party was at least supposed to be somewhat pretty?

I don't know if you meant to make that reply in another thread, but somehow it fits here anyway, lol.

Classic

Postby Classic » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:58 pm

Clearly I am going completely bonkers.

Postby Newbie » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:04 pm

Mongrel wrote:So you were going to anyway? Pretty sure the rest of us didn't want to?

LB may have had the right idea, actually. My plan was to mostly avoid people, run whenever possible, and fight anytime I was incapable of running. He just got unlucky rolls, or he'd have dealt with me in the most effective way.
tiny text

Classic

Postby Classic » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:09 pm

I figured it would set a bad precedent if we chased people down to offer alliances, so I counseled against it. Didn't think Laser would risk incurring my retributive wrath by attacking.

gahitsu

Postby gahitsu » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:46 am

How would you change this to make it easier to run? I really want to pitch this to Talking Time.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:30 pm

I mean, the best way to make it easier to run would be through a LotGD-style web interface (which, btw, has been implemented in some manner, and whose source code can be copied). I dunno how easy it would be to tweak the ruleset to follow ours, but doesn't seem like it should be that difficult (says the guy not doing the changes, har).
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Frocto

Postby Frocto » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:57 pm

In anything with a "round robin" element, people will usually miss turns. It's important to have some allowance for that happening, usually either by allowing other players to take their actions without that person, or by writing them out temporarily (which is what Werewolf does by only requiring majority vote).

Maybe something like every _________ (24 hours/48 hours/GM announcement), people get an action token which can be used for things like hitting other players, hunting for food, etc. Striking someone is resolved without their input. Apply a "fatigue" outcome to every token expenditure, which is hunger/thirst/tiredness, whatever.

If a player misses a lot of turns, they build up a lot of tokens, which is good for them. Alternatively they die, because if someone was able to go through multiple 24 hour periods hitting them without them noticing them oops.

I also like the idea that if a player goes longer than 48 hours without posting, they just burn to death???

Kazz
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Kazz » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:14 am

I think the primary problem with the game was that encounters with other Brontos required multiple communications between each party, and in the case of Klazzrel we also wanted to discuss every step of each encounter.

So if Alice runs into Bob, Friday has to poke Alice and Bob to ask them each of they want to fight, run, or offer alliance.

If they fight, then they each have an option to continue fighting or run (meaning another round of PMs). If one of them runs, then the other has the option to chase or not chase (another round of PMs). So if Bob runs and Alice chases, and then Alice catches Bob, there's another round of PMs when they each are asked again to fight, run, or offer alliance, and the cycle begins anew. This means the entire encounter process can take a long time if people aren't checking their PMs at least twice a day. That's the bit that most needs to be streamlined.

Also, Grath's Action Flowchart is a brilliant example of essentially baseline survivalist gameplay:

Grath wrote:For the record, my Action Flowchart was:
If I have fatigue, sleep.
If I have thirst or hunger, hunt for appropriate thing, prioritizing greater need, then water if they're tied.
If I have empty inventory slots, hunt for food.
If I have no fatigue, thirst, or hunger, with a full inventory (probably of foods): Track for random brontos, to offer alliance of "I have food, don't kill me".

If encountered: offer alliance

There's no reason to deviate from this, and I'm sure that Grath's combat philosophy is something along the lines of "run if I can, kill if I must." If everybody plays this way, everybody becomes allies and we all win. That's why I was extremely aggressive pursuing allies, knowing that whoever was left behind at the Cornucopia with their pick of the goodies would be the most important person to contact. I wanted to find everybody with Grath's or my philosophy and kill everyone else. With explosives from my helpful donors. Thanks Wheels! It was wheels, right
the best kazz around

Kazz
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Kazz » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:18 am

Frocto wrote:Maybe something like every _________ (24 hours/48 hours/GM announcement), people get an action token which can be used for things like hitting other players, hunting for food, etc. Striking someone is resolved without their input. Apply a "fatigue" outcome to every token expenditure, which is hunger/thirst/tiredness, whatever.

for $1.99 you can get 5 tokens 1 hour only special promo
the best kazz around

Frocto

Postby Frocto » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:19 am

Kazz wrote:There's no reason to deviate from this, and I'm sure that Grath's combat philosophy is something along the lines of "run if I can, kill if I must."

This is actually pretty observant. I think it might be more efficient to have the GM say, "Well, what's your goal during this encounter?" and then if they answer something like, "Kill X no matter what" or "Hunt for food and sleep until I'm refreshed up," it's pretty simple to deduce their actions based on that.

Kazz
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Kazz » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:20 am

The whole thing is damn close to a roleplaying game, so I'd almost just tell the players in an encounter to hash out their actions with one another and the GM will provide dice if anybody has decided to commit murder
the best kazz around

Grath

Postby Grath » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:40 am

Kazz wrote:The whole thing is piss all over close to a roleplaying game, so I'd almost just tell the players in an encounter to hash out their actions with one another and the GM will provide dice if anybody has decided to commit murder

I think if it was a live game it would go a lot better, possibly. Especially with some kind of framework for the GM to have easier time of the randomization and stuff.

I wonder if this could even be done as a like, IRC game where you have a bot running the game.

Niku

Postby Niku » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:46 pm

r^2 and i were the only ones who knew how to play

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:47 pm

And the first (only) ones to die!