Q: what is this
A: This is a game we play sometimes where we work together to make a beautiful digital mosaic of many-colored tiles.
Q: how does it work?
A: People who want to play sign up in this thread. Next week, I send links to each participant where that player's, uh, canvas file can be downloaded. That canvas has a bunch of dummy tiles filled in, as well as a small number of fixed tiles and eight placeholder tiles, as well as a bunch of space for additional tiles. Players have a week to modify (or replace) the placeholders, add more tiles if they wish, and otherwise prepare their segment of the mosaic for appreciation by the community. Once everyone's done, I will stitch these segments into our final master map: The Four Corners of the Brontoverse (actual title TBD). The community will then be able to explore the resulting mosaic landscape at their leisure.
Q: Wait, ONE WEEK? Isn't that kind of short?
A: It's not a hard deadline! We're all busy adults with many important things to do. (I work 64 hours a week, for example.) "One week" is just an arbitrary period to establish a scope and a timeframe, and hopefully curtail the sort of grand ambition that's derailed me in the past. That's why we're starting with placeholders. You can decorate what's already there with various shades of angry red, you can scoop out the middle and just, uh, glue the first tile directly to the last one, or you can wipe the slate clean and embellish to your heart's content. It's up to you how much you want to try to do, and if you wind up getting abducted by the werewolf gestapo, we can just use my dumb little placeholders until you can be recovered, or until we decide to glaze without you.
That being said, I understand that some of our veteran tessellators have loftier ambitions than one week can satisfy. No deadline is unnegotiable.
Q: If I want to participate, do I need to buy my own glass and ceramics...?
A: The tools we use for our mosaics are free to download! If you want to participate, you need to do TWO THREE THINGS:
- Post in this thread in the usual manner before Wednesday, July 15th, 2015. Latecomers will be accepted, but frowned upon.
- Announce your choice of number between 1 and 12 that hasn't already been picked. Fractions, decimals, variables expressed as inequalities? Sure, whatever. I won't be explaining how I use this number before our mosaic is complete.
- PICK AN ITEM FROM this list THAT HASN'T ALREADY BEEN PICKED.
Once you've completed those two THREE steps, be on the lookout for my private message late next week. Additional instructions will be included. In the meantime, if you'd like to vote to change the order of materials encountered in the mosaic, that thread is still open until Sunday, July 12th.
Q: isn't this just EK4
A: Shhh. Don't jinx it... but maybe tell your friends.
- Friday with the Umbrella and assigned the number 1
- Bongo Bill with the Blue Key (immediately following the Red Key) and assigned the number 2
- Newbie with the Eye and selecting the number 8
- LaserBeing with the Yellow Key and selecting the number 6
- Mothra with the Purple Key and selecting the number 3
- Healy with the Red Key and selecting the number 9
- Niku with the Detector and assigned the number 7
- Esperath with Climbing and assigned the number 11
- Stush helping with art and maybe a level!