Hottest Disney Song Ro68

Moderators: Friday, LaserBeing

Hottest Disney Song

Poll ended at Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:38 pm

8. Circle of Life (Lion King)
27%
9. A Whole New World (Aladdin)
18%
28. Kidnap the Sandy Claws (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
18%
30. Sally's Song (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
5%
38. Everybody Wants to be A Cat (The Aristocats)
32%

Total votes: 22
Friday

Hottest Disney Song Ro68

Postby Friday » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:18 pm

1. Be Prepared (Lion King)
2. Hellfire (Hunchback of Notre Dame)
3. Gaston (Beauty and the Beast)
4. Be Our Guest (Beauty and the Beast)
5. Under the Sea (The Little Mermaid)
6. Poor Unfortunate Souls (The Little Mermaid)
7. Hakuna Matata (Lion King)
8. Circle of Life (Lion King)
9. A Whole New World (Aladdin)
10. Friend Like Me (Aladdin)
11. Wanna Be Like You (Jungle Book)
12. Colors of the Wind (Pocahontas)
13. Heigh Ho (Snow White)
14. Prince Ali (Aladdin)
15. I'll Make A Man Out Of You (Mulan)
16. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (Mary Poppins)
17. When I See An Elephant Fly (Dumbo)
18. One Jump Ahead (Aladdin)
19. Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride (Lilo and Stitch)
20. He's a Tramp (Lady and the Tramp)
21. You're Welcome (Moana)
22. Part of Your World (The Little Mermaid)
23. Kiss the Girl (The Little Mermaid)
24. Belle (Beauty and the Beast)
25. Jack's Lament (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
26. What's This? (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
27. Jack's Obsession (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
28. Kidnap the Sandy Claws (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
29. Oogie Boogie's Song (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
30. Sally's Song (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
31. Friends on the Other Side (The Princess and the Frog)
32. On The Open Road (A Goofy Movie)
33. Shiny (Moana)
34. When You Wish Upon A Star (Pinocchio)
35. Caucus Race (Alice in Wonderland)
36. The Unbirthday Song (Alice in Wonderland)
37. Bare Necessities (The Jungle Book)
38. Everybody Wants to be A Cat (The Aristocats)
39. Whistle Stop (Robin Hood)
40. Not in Nottingham (Robin Hood)
41. The Phony King of England (Robin Hood)
42. Baby Mine (Dumbo) ;__;
43. Pink Elephants on Parade (Dumbo)
44. Cruella De Ville (101 Dalmatians)
45. Bibbity Bobbity Boo (Cinderella)
46. To Die For (Lion King)
47. Let It Go (Frozen)
48. Les Poissons (The Little Mermaid)
49. The Elegant Captain Hook (Peter Pan)
50. Kanine Krunchies (101 Dalmatians)
51. Oo-De-Lally (Robin Hood)
52. Winnie the Pooh (The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh)
53. The World's Greatest Criminal Mind (The Great Mouse Detective)
54. After Today (A Goofy Movie)
55. Zero to Hero (Hercules)
56. Mother Knows Best (Tangled)
57. Sugar Rush (Wreck-it Ralph)
58. Love is an Open Door (Frozen)
59. Snuff Out The Light (The Emperor's New Groove)
60. Why Should I Worry (Oliver and Company)
61. This is Halloween (Nightmare Before Christmas)
62. The Bells of Notre Dame (Hunchback of Notre Dame)
63. I won't Say I'm In Love (Hercules)
64. How Far I'll Go (Moana)
65. A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes (Cinderella)
66. Once Upon A Dream (Sleeping Beauty)
67. Almost There (Princess and the Frog)
68. When Will My Life Begin (Tangled)
69. Stand Out (A Goofy Movie)

10 batches of 6, 1 batch of 8 at the end. Any ties will be decided by me, at least at this early stage.

First up:

16. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (Mary Poppins)
52. Winnie the Pooh (The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh)
41. The Phony King of England (Robin Hood)
43. Pink Elephants on Parade (Dumbo)
29. Oogie Boogie's Song (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
19. Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride (Lilo and Stitch)

Vote for up to 3.
ImageImageImage

Niku

Re: Hottest Disney Song Ro68

Postby Niku » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:49 pm

Julie Andrews is as much a goddamn treasure as Dick Van Dyke's accent is a tragedy. I'm sorry, Supes. If it's any consolation, you're lyrically incredible.

Disney makes nostalgia slaves of us all, but I don't know if there's anything I'm more immediately fucking three years old regarding than Winnie the Pooh. It was the tape I watched all the time at my grandmother's, and the song my parents would always sing to me, and I damn near cried at that goddamn Christoper Robin trailer. Vote 1.

I like Robin Hood well enough, but I missed it as a kid and mostly appreciate it these days for what they managed to make during the darker periods of Disney. I didn't even remember this song until it got brought up in the write-in thread, so that's really all I need to say.

I SAW THAT FUCKIN GODDAMN BALLOON IN THE TRAILER, TIM ASSHOLE BURTON. Vote 2.

"Well well well, what have we here?" "You're jokin'. You're jokin'!" One of the only songs that gets prettttty constant rotation in my day to day conversations. Vote 3.

Man, remember how fucking good the original Lilo and Stitch trailers were? And how fresh and fun the movie felt when it first came out, and how charming and good and hearfelt and sad it still is now? This is mostly my guilt trip for not voting it forward, but the music wasn't what made Lilo and Stitch such a great film.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:14 pm

I accidentally combined all the Goofy Movie songs into one song but I'm just gonna roll with it
ImageImageImage

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:03 pm

I am really happy to see such a high response to Pink Elephants. It's one the best of those of those rare Disney songs which is sinister not for it's association with any villain or villainous themes or even danger, but due to the inherent theme and composition of the music itself. The still-nightmarish video of Dumbo's drunken tripping out is also one of the great classic visual sequences of Disney films and the animation still impresses me even though it's nearly 80 years old. On top of all that, the lyrics are just killer.

I voted for Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious in spite of Dick. Luckily the large number of cover versions offer an alternate (and better) version of those notorious lyrics.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:20 pm

By the way, I really feel like I have to actually weigh and analyze even low-level choices like this in ways previous Hottest polls have not challenged me to do until maybe the last rounds.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:44 pm

I wasn't joking when I said this was the big leagues. I imagine the pain is going to be rather intense starting even as early as Ro34.
ImageImageImage

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:34 pm

I don't know how to feel about Pink Elephants on Parade.

As a song, it's not great.

As song+animation, it's quite possibly one of my favourite sequences in a Disney film.

If I'm voting on this for pure musical quality, I'd have to skip it. But since these are as much about feelings as anything else I'll give it the nod.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:49 pm

MarsDragon wrote:As a song, it's not great.

Eh I don't know. I can see where you're coming from, but I also feel like it's a simple song that does exactly what it needs to without overcomplicating things, you know? It fits the form of a traditional of a parade march.

In any case, the cadence of "...but technicolour pachyderms are really too much for me." gets me every time.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:38 pm

Friday wrote:I accidentally combined all the Goofy Movie songs into one song but I'm just gonna roll with it

Only if you make it so I can vote for it 3 times.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:17 pm

16. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (Mary Poppins) 5
52. Winnie the Pooh (The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh) 4
41. The Phony King of England (Robin Hood) 4
43. Pink Elephants on Parade (Dumbo) 7
29. Oogie Boogie's Song (The Nightmare Before Christmas) 9
19. Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride (Lilo and Stitch) 1

A close one, with Winnie and Phony King right behind, but Mary just barely squeaks out a victory.

Oogie and Pink clear favorites for the round, shaping up to be strong contenders in ro34.

Next up:

44. Cruella De Ville (101 Dalmatians)
35. Caucus Race (Alice in Wonderland)
64. How Far I'll Go (Moana)
49. The Elegant Captain Hook (Peter Pan)
56. Mother Knows Best (Tangled)
13. Heigh Ho (Snow White)
ImageImageImage

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:54 pm

Cruella De Ville is catchy, lyrically clever, and has a great placement in the movie itself with the domesticity of Roger relentlessly teasing Anita for her terrible boss while amusing the hell out of himself and also prompting Pongo to jump around and bark in time to his humans being silly. A++, vote 1.

Caucus Race is fun but frivolous, and just don't really hang against the competition.

How Far I'll Go hasn't really had the time to sink in, wrapping its tendrils around the tender heartbrains that are insidiously corrupted forever by Disney nostalgia -- which makes it all the much better for just how catchy and inspiring it is. Moana's book is almost all goddamn killer, no filler. Lin Manuel Miranda is going to be a feather in Disney's cap for a long damn time, I feel. I know we're only judging the English language, original movie versions of these songs too, but FUCK the Maori soundtrack for Moana is SO GOOD. Take a listen if you haven't. Easy vote 2.

The Elegant Captain Hook was one of my write-ins, but it's up against some stuff competition already and I never really harbored much of an illusion of it getting any further than round two. Captain Hook is one of my favorite characters in .. anything ever? The triple whammy in film of Disney's Peter Pan, Hook, and the 2003 Peter Pan all take different looks at him in ways I really enjoy, and the original book is kind of a massive inspiration to me in terms of writing and fairy tales. I love The Elegant Captain Hook for similar reasons to Cruella De Ville in the way it feels "lived in" to the story itself as a proper little sea shanty, and it's not as cloying or racist as a lot of the other Peter Pan songs. I wish I could vote for it here but ..

Mother Knows Best is easily one of my favorite songs from Disney's 3D period. The way Donna Murphy just fucking nails the "skip the drama, stick with mama" leading into the joyous little laugh that precedes the increasing tempo as she ramps up her emotional torture gets me every single time. It's a common refrain that the villains always get the best songs, but Mother Gothel's is a kind of villainy that hasn't gotten much play in the rest of their movies. Poor Unfortunate Souls is about the closest comparison I can think of immediately. Vote 3.

oh and yeah i guess it's classic or something but get the fuck out of here you grating goddamn dwarf earworm.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:22 pm

The clip above has been edited to just play out the lyric portion of Cruella DeVille, but I especially love the bit in between where Roger is gleefully trollolololing by blasting instrumentals through the floor.

EDIT: Found a version on YouTube which has the sequence, thought the video quality is beyond atrocious:

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:01 am

44. Cruella De Ville (101 Dalmatians) 9
35. Caucus Race (Alice in Wonderland) 1
64. How Far I'll Go (Moana) 5
49. The Elegant Captain Hook (Peter Pan) 2
56. Mother Knows Best (Tangled) 6
13. Heigh Ho (Snow White) 2

Gonna end this one early with three clear packleaders.

Next up:

(Fixed a redundant entry, Goofy Movie Songs split up)

32. On The Open Road (A Goofy Movie)
15. I'll Make A Man Out Of You (Mulan)
3. Gaston (Beauty and the Beast)
55. Zero to Hero (Hercules)
12. Colors of the Wind (Pocahontas)
63. I Won't Say I'm In Love (Hercules)

WARNING

WARNING

A GIANT ESPERATH IS APPROACHING
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:42 pm

Not that the song needs any help, but I would like to once again offer the copy of the Gaston song I edited (A dangerous pasttime...) to cut out the interlude and play as one full song: File

Anyway, the third choice was really tough because I genuinely think Judy Kuhn turned in a great vocal performance in Colours of the Wind and the lyrics are actually better than most of Disney's romantic odes, but ultimately the interplay of the complex call-and-response structure of The Open Road won out.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:48 pm

Hey kids. I heard you like memes?

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:10 pm

This is actually the most difficult trio to choose for me so far.

I think On The Open Road gets overlooked a lot for After Today and Stand Out. But I think Open Road is pretty much three minutes of distilling the entire tone of the movie down; if someone hadn't seen it and wanted to know why it's got a surprisingly good reputation, it's fair to consider just seeing if they're into this song or not. Also Mickey and Donald getting their time, however brief, in a theatrical feature from the 90s is pretty nice alongside the callbacks that close it out. If the three Goofy Movie songs hadn't been split it up it would have been a dangerous fucking powerhouse in this tournament.

Also, continuing from talking about Moana before, it's pretty well known trivia that Jackie Chan played Shang in the Chinese release of Mulan; it's a great version. This one hurts. It's got a unique sound, it's incredibly driving, it fits the story and movie well, and the chorus in the background over the climax when the music drops out is absolutely perfect Peak Montage. But these are some really heavy hitters. I get the feeling this'll do just fine without me.

Gaston is Gaston. It might need more than that moving forward, but for now, that's enough. Vote 1.

This is also where I become a giant mark for a lesser Disney movie; I fucking love Hercules. It's sloppy as hell in a lot of ways, but it's one I can super easily just throw on in the background and enjoy at basically any moment in time. Zero to Hero just has so much goddamn energy, I love the way it works in some of Herc's labors throughout the montage, and it singlehandedly makes the case for the anachronistic sound and humor of the movie. Plus, it's got the pun about what the Grecian's urn, and the Japanese cover has YES HONTOU. Vote 2.

Colors of the Wind, Mongrel kinda nailed. It's beautifully sung, and really well written. The animation of the entire sequence is really gorgeous. Pocahontas is definitely in the lowest tier of Disney flicks for my personal enjoyment, but that's to take absolutely nothing away from its music. I love this song, Mine!, and Savages an awful lot. But also

What did I just say? I fucking love Hercules. Susan Egan turns in a really unique and nuanced vocal portrayal for Megara throughout the entire film, and the movie's insistence on shoe-horning in gospel flare to an irreverent greek tale really pays off when it comes time for the love song. I don't think I Won't Say I'm In Love is the best romantic Disney song by a long shot, but it is one of my personal favorites, and a lot of that just comes down to the vocal performance. Vote 3.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:47 am

Today I learned that the sketchy, living animation style Disney used throughout the 60's - my favourite of all Disney animation styles - was a result of a xerox process where the pencilwork was transferred directly onto the cels, cutting out the inking process and cutting production costs enormously. 101 Dalmatians, the first to use the process, was made for half of the cost it would have incurred under the older system.

The process actually saved Disney animation, because after the commercial flop of Sleeping Beauty, Disney was seriously considering shutting down film production or possibly animation entirely, as production costs had become so prohibitive that it was very difficult for Disney movies to turn a profit.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:22 am

If you want to lose a ton of your time and learn about more fascinating tidbits like that, I really recommend Mari Ness' Disney Read Watch over on Tor.com. It's like three years of articles that begins by alternating between the source material and the Disney movie based on it, and when adaptations run out, just going on to do dives into the rest of the films.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:37 pm

32. On The Open Road (A Goofy Movie) 6
15. I'll Make A Man Out Of You (Mulan) 15
3. Gaston (Beauty and the Beast) 13
55. Zero to Hero (Hercules) 3
12. Colors of the Wind (Pocahontas) 5
63. I Won't Say I'm In Love (Hercules) 2

Colors goes down by a hair.

Next up:

54. After Today (A Goofy Movie)
24. Belle (Beauty and the Beast)
4. Be Our Guest (Beauty and the Beast)
18. One Jump Ahead (Aladdin)
53. The World's Greatest Criminal Mind (The Great Mouse Detective)
7. Hakuna Matata (Lion King)
ImageImageImage

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:45 pm

Obligatory link to the live action After Today video. It's a great kick-off for the movie with a lot of energy, and I've got very little bad to say about it, but it's not top three in this group.

Also obligatory link to the Todrick Hall 'Belle' parody, Beauty and the Beat. I'm a simple man of simple pleasures, and Belle talking about getting her hair did is one of them. It's probably worth more of your time than the live action official Disney version in any case, and I'm one of the people who even likes that movie. (There won't be a great reason to link it otherwise, but Spell Block Tango is worth a look too). Belle is a goddamn tour de force and I think it has the legs to make a run for the winner of the entire contest if it has the right circumstances. Vote 1.

Be Our Guest is also fantastic. It's fun, too-catchy, and has become the de facto theme for Disney's entire hospitality business. But as flashy as it is, it doesn't stick the way the rest of Beauty and the Beast's soundtrack does; it's an earworm, but it's not one that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy in the same way Belle or the titular song do and isn't as rousing as Gaston or The Mob Song.

Speaking of rousing, One Jump Ahead might not actually be the best song in Aladdin, but it sure as hell does bring the energy that the rest of the movie more or less keeps up with. It's easy to overlook against Prince Ali or Friend Like Me, but I think I'd take it over them. It has a lot in common with Belle using the entire marketplace and the protagonist to set the stage and stakes, but each song also gives you a good idea of what's to come in just a few minutes. "Gotta eat to live gotta steal to eat, otherwise we'd get along" is one of my favorite lyric deliveries. Vote 2.

Vincent Price murders a mouse mid-song. Vote 3.

Hakuna Matata is a song I loved as a kid, and eventually it is time to put away childish things. Blame overexposure, but I just find it fairly grating these days.