Hottest Disney Song Ro68

Moderators: Friday, LaserBeing

Hottest Disney Song

Poll ended at Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:38 pm

8. Circle of Life (Lion King)
27%
9. A Whole New World (Aladdin)
18%
28. Kidnap the Sandy Claws (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
18%
30. Sally's Song (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
5%
38. Everybody Wants to be A Cat (The Aristocats)
32%

Total votes: 22
Büge

Re: Hottest Disney Song Ro68

Postby Büge » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:02 pm

Niku wrote:Speaking of rousing, One Jump Ahead might not actually be the best song in Aladdin, but it sure as hell does bring the energy that the rest of the movie more or less keeps up with. It's easy to overlook against Prince Ali or Friend Like Me, but I think I'd take it over them. It has a lot in common with Belle using the entire marketplace and the protagonist to set the stage and stakes, but each song also gives you a good idea of what's to come in just a few minutes. "Gotta eat to live gotta steal to eat, otherwise we'd get along" is one of my favorite lyric deliveries.

There's also this, of course.

Lady

Postby Lady » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:04 pm

I tried to not vote for Hakuna Matata, but I couldn't bring myself to follow through.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:35 am

World's Greatest Criminal mind was the only easy one here. This was one of the earlier movies I ever saw in the theatre (might have been the first cartoon film) and that song was pretty much the only full scene I had a clear memory of. Song is just too great. Vincent Price + murder's on the menu (that pin-drop moment...), just as Niku said.

Fun fact! The Great Mouse Detective was scored by Henry Mancini!

I can 100% get the "grating" aspect to Hakuna Matata, and up against stronger competition, I don't think it makes it. But it hasn't been overplayed for me and has some pretty great moments, as well as having arguably the best melody of the six songs here, so I gave it a reprieve this time around.

I kind of agree that Be Our Guest lacks a soul, plus the subject matter of pre-revolutionary French servants, well, grovelling (even if they have several perfectly valid reason to do so in this particular case)... there's just something a bit off about it.

So then it comes down to After Today, Belle, and One Jump Ahead. All of them have similar themes and structures and serve the same function, which Niku already described in detail. All of them have some interplay with a large number of vocals which is fun and works well ("I'll sit on my butt" is a two-cent gag, but it was still a point in After Today's favour).

Ultimately I gave my last vote to Belle, because the the other two are just not as strong as songs. One Jump Ahead feels particularly weak in this regard - IMO, the singing is barely more than spoken-word and is poor in the few instances it tries to rise above that, and the actual music has little presence and cuts out frequently. It's almost not a song at all, more a montage with some rhyming and a little light musical spice here and there. After Today also has a weak melody, I think, but at least has great vocals... from everyone but Max; for some reason his singing voice just annoys me in that sequence.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:48 am

Also, now I'm really sorry that Let Me be Good to You wasn't nominated.

friday plx

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:12 pm

54. After Today (A Goofy Movie) 2
24. Belle (Beauty and the Beast) 7
4. Be Our Guest (Beauty and the Beast) 6
18. One Jump Ahead (Aladdin) 9
53. The World's Greatest Criminal Mind (The Great Mouse Detective) 6
7. Hakuna Matata (Lion King) 5

I'll tiebreak for murder over hospitality any day of the week. I'm just like Algeria!

Next up:

20. He's a Tramp (Lady and the Tramp)
5. Under the Sea (The Little Mermaid)
10. Friend Like Me (Aladdin)
21. You're Welcome (Moana)
42. Baby Mine (Dumbo) ;__;
6. Poor Unfortunate Souls (The Little Mermaid)
ImageImageImage

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:49 pm

I really love the jazzy simplicity of He's a Tramp, but both it and the movie it's from aren't quiiite enough for this tournament. I've got nothing against Lady and the Tramp! It's fine. It's fine.

Under the Sea almost loses points because, again, I'm replaying Kingdom Hearts 2. But fuck if it isn't the platonic ideal of the "energetic sidekicks sing an earworm" style of Disney music. Endlessly parodied, but fuck if it isn't for good reason. Also, fish puns. Vote 1.

BAKLAVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. I love Aladdin. I love Robin Williams. I love The Genie. I love this song. Sorry, Friend Like Me. :(

You're Welcome has fucking fantastic animation, a great sound, and The Rock even manages to elevate it in places despite not being a particularly strong singer. I love how all of her fantastical "music video" gifts are revealed for what they are at the very end, and it's as earwormy as the other two high-energy sidekick ditties in this particular round, but it hasn't had the time to settle in like the other two, and I've made my pick for that style here.

Which takes us to Baby Mine, which could be the only thing anyone ever remembered from Dumbo, and would still be A+ Tier. Goddamn. Would cry again. Probably will cry again. Vote 2.

And .. I could probably say a lot about Poor Unfortunate Souls, but I'm going to save it for its inevitable next round. Vote 3.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:13 pm

He's a Tramp - Fuckin' Peggy Lee. Damn Right. Best singing voice in this group is worth a lot, and the acapella dog backup nudges it into contention. Probably won't make it much further, but I'm giving it a nod this round. #1

Under The Sea - All-around a very solid song, well-constructed and performed. But that's just not enough in this group.

Friend Like Me - Great patter and lyrical play. Actually deserves a vote, but I'm going to gamble on it not needing my help.

You're Welcome - Overall the strongest song in this group, I think. Takes the rapid-fire patter song style of Friend Like Me, puts against a stronger, brighter backing tune and cranks up the wordplay to modern standards. Also, it may be heresy, but I think The Rock actually has the stronger pure singing voice, even though Robin's Genie obviously has way more range in terms of silly voices and gimmicks. #2

Baby Mine - I suggested this one for a reason. Seemingly simple and dated, it's still a gut-wrenching lullaby, with way more emotional heft than any other song in this group (or most Disney songs in general). #3

Poor Unfortunate Souls - Again, suffers from the same problem as Under The Sea. Well-done, strong overall song without any real faults, but without anything to really make it stand out from the crowd of traditional Disney villain songs, it falls short of the stiff competition this round.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:23 pm

It's funny looking at Niku's and my criteria. Of course I know that vocals are a huge focus of mine in songs, but the different outcomes its producing in voting here are neat.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:47 pm

Current vote tally, wtflol.

(1,4,4,4,4,4)

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:11 pm

I knew you'd be a bro and be the only vote for Tramp, Mongrel.

God damn it I love that song
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:32 pm

I'm not sure if I would have bet on it making the cut, but damn that voice deserves more than just my vote. :(

This is maybe the toughest round yet though, so I guess I can kind of understand.

Anyway, as long as Baby Mine moves on, I'll refrain from questioning the board's collective sanity.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:38 pm

People just don't appreciate that slow buttery feminine voice anymore. I knew it was a dream that it'd make the top 8, but I'd hoped it'd have an easier first round match up.

But like you said, competition is just too tough this round.
ImageImageImage

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:57 am

Now you got me wishing I'd nominated "Perfect Isn't Easy".

Mongrel wrote:Current vote tally, wtflol.

(1,4,4,4,4,4)

(2,6,6,6,6,6) as of this post.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:17 am

Büge wrote:Now you got me wishing I'd nominated "Perfect Isn't Easy".

If we can find one more song, and add this, plus my suggestion of Let Me be Good to You, Friday will have an even six for the last pod.

Anyone? One good song we missed out on?

LaserBeing

Postby LaserBeing » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:33 am

Mongrel wrote:If we can find one more song, and add this, plus my suggestion of Let Me be Good to You, Friday will have an even six for the last pod.

I guess I should at least suggest one from a movie my dad worked on

plus I mean, Tim Curry chewing the scenery in passable French has gotta count for something

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:27 pm

Mongrel wrote:Anyone? One good song we missed out on?

Did anyone nominate this?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:33 pm

The only thing from the Emperor's New Groove that was nominated was Snuff Out The Light.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:34 pm

or this:

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:13 pm

Cheez-Whiz kid has exactly the same face as Kuzco's singer.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:08 pm

20. He's a Tramp (Lady and the Tramp) 2
5. Under the Sea (The Little Mermaid) 8
10. Friend Like Me (Aladdin) 8
21. You're Welcome (Moana) 8
42. Baby Mine (Dumbo) ;__; 7
6. Poor Unfortunate Souls (The Little Mermaid) 9

Tie broken purely based on that I like Under the Sea less than the other two.

Next up:

47. Let It Go (Frozen)
40. Not in Nottingham (Robin Hood)
33. Shiny (Moana)
68. When Will My Life Begin (Tangled)
50. Kanine Krunchies (101 Dalmatians)
60. Why Should I Worry (Oliver and Company)
ImageImageImage