Hottest Disney Song Ro68

Moderators: Friday, LaserBeing

Hottest Disney Song

Poll ended at Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:38 pm

8. Circle of Life (Lion King)
27%
9. A Whole New World (Aladdin)
18%
28. Kidnap the Sandy Claws (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
18%
30. Sally's Song (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
5%
38. Everybody Wants to be A Cat (The Aristocats)
32%

Total votes: 22
Friday

Re: Hottest Disney Song Ro68

Postby Friday » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:36 pm

34. When You Wish Upon A Star (Pinocchio) 5
27. Jack's Obsession (The Nightmare Before Christmas) 1
1. Be Prepared (Lion King) 10
36. The Unbirthday Song (Alice in Wonderland) 2
31. Friends on the Other Side (The Princess and the Frog) 4

Star barely edges out Friends.

Next up and last in the round:

8. Circle of Life (Lion King)
9. A Whole New World (Aladdin)
28. Kidnap the Sandy Claws (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
30. Sally's Song (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
38. Everybody Wants to be A Cat (The Aristocats)
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:49 pm

Also, I'm running a tiebreaker vote for When You Wish and Friends due to reasons.

Here.
ImageImageImage

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:43 am

Niku wrote:And it's amazing to me just how many people are like ".. wait, shit, what?" when you point out that he takes over Be Prepared for the final verse because by that point you're so wrapped up in Scar's terrifying, fascist hellscape of a song that you're not paying close enough attention to realize it (Cummings is also the voice of the hyena Ed).

On the other hand, you had someone like me, who was so attuned to vocal performances in animation that I was able to pick out the moment it switches over from Irons to Cummings when I first saw it in theatres (Jim Cummings also did the singing voice for Rasputin in the animated film Anastasia, which annoyed me as a fan of Christopher Lloyd).

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:06 am

Every body
Every body
Every body wants to beeee a cat

Fuck yeah, lay that on me. Ridiculously racist caricatures notwithstanding, it's one of the few times in this contest where I go back and replay the song over (and over).

Tossed my other vote to Sandy Claws due to the sheer glee that shines through. Thought about Circle of Life (which is quite strong), but here we finally hit a song which I downvote for it being overplayed to me.

The other two are just kind of blah. I mean, they're not awful, but they got no soul.

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:21 am

Büge wrote:On the other hand, you had someone like me, who was so attuned to vocal performances in animation that I was able to pick out the moment it switches over from Irons to Cummings when I first saw it in theatres (Jim Cummings also did the singing voice for Rasputin in the animated film Anastasia, which annoyed me as a fan of Christopher Lloyd).

Yeah, it was several years later that I noticed because by that point I was hard in the paint for Jim Cummings as one of my favorite voice actors. Granted, I'm just as hard in the paint for Christopher Lloyd in just about everything, so when I got around to seeing Anastasia years after its release I was pretty torn on which way was better.

I'm honestly in line with Mongrel this round; Circle of Life is powerful, moving, and has some jaw dropping animation. But I also feel like I'm on the verge of just being done with it. There's basically zero chance that the "live action" Lion King trailer will be anything except their Circle of Life, right? It comes close to getting a vote because I'm not sure my own fatigue with it should really knock it down a peg, but my gut feelings are the only personal tie breaker I have in these matters.

A Whole New World is awfully pretty. It was also on the radio constantly when I was a kid, in the over-the-credits form, and being a wee lad when the movie came out the romantic slow song is where I pretty much tuned out. I like it a lot more these days than I did then, but it's not my favorite Disney ballad overall.

Kidnap the Sandy Claws is childlike glee in causing mischief in song form. It's energetic and fun, and probably nudging its way toward my top three Nightmare songs (it jostles with Poor Jack to fall in line behind What's This and Oogie Boogie, I think, though this is something that probably changes for me depending on the day of the week). Sally's Song is in pretty much the opposite position; I really don't think there's a single clunker when it comes to Nightmare, but it's just a little too brief and indistinct to stand out against some of the other performances. It's very in character for Sally, but it's unfortunate that her character is mostly relegated to pining and worrying from beginning to end. Vote for Sandy.

Aristocats is in rarified company: it's one of the only Disney animated films I've never seen. I couldn't tell you a single thing about the film quality or Everybody's place in it. But it was on the same VHS singalong tape I mentioned earlier in the thread, so I've still got a lot of fondness for it. It absolutely shares the ongoing troubling casual racism of a lot of Disney from .. basically their entire existence as a company, doubling down on "We Are Siamese", and I don't think there's really any argument to be made that the song wouldn't be improved just by excising those elements. That being said, the song is catchy and vibrant and soulful, and it's just enough to nudge it above Circle of Life this round for me. Vote two.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:46 pm

A little thing I really appreciate about Everybody Wants To Be a Cat is the way it acknowledges true Jazz improvisation sessions by going through all these different mini-movements and Jazz sub-styles. It's the concentrated, easily-digestible Disney version of an evening at a Jazz lounge.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:07 am

8. Circle of Life (Lion King) 6
9. A Whole New World (Aladdin) 4
28. Kidnap the Sandy Claws (The Nightmare Before Christmas) 4
30. Sally's Song (The Nightmare Before Christmas) 1
38. Everybody Wants to be A Cat (The Aristocats) 7

Welp, that's it for the first round. Moving on to the next thread.
ImageImageImage