X-Men

KingRoyal

Re: X-Men

Postby KingRoyal » Thu May 02, 2024 11:43 am

Two more episodes to go, and they're clearly having fun mixing and matching various storylines together, but boy do they have a lot that lead up to Onslaught next season
signature

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 02, 2024 1:45 pm

Büge wrote:

I guess AirBnb is getting desperate now that regulations are coming down

Look AirBnB, if I'm paying for your shitty pseudo hotel, then my room damn well better have at least three dimensions.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed May 08, 2024 5:33 pm

I guess I'm a little surprised they're doing Fatal Attractions again, but not that surprised.

You know, it's kind of impressive how seamlessly the old "slot Rogue in for Colossus" move works.

Nice job with everybody getting an alternate costume.

Good meta jokes: "Morph was barely on the team for 30 minutes before we threw them to the wolves!" and "What were you expecting, black leather?"

Wolverine's claws didn't used to be 3 feet long, right?

Seems like there's something I'm forgetting, but there's a start, anyway.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Thu May 09, 2024 9:06 am

I think Cyclops needs to work on his strategizing a little bit. When dividing up the team to fight Magneto and Mr. Sinister, maybe consider where to send the guy whose bones are made of metal and the only person who can actually harm Mr. Sinister
signature

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu May 09, 2024 11:55 am

Thad wrote:You know, it's kind of impressive how seamlessly the old "slot Rogue in for Colossus" move works.

omg

I just realized that after 5 seasons of retelling stories from the '70s and '80s with Gambit in place of Nightcrawler, now they're retelling a story from the '90s with Nightcrawler in place of Gambit.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Thu May 09, 2024 12:10 pm

I'm revising my prediction from we're definitely getting Onslaught next season, which is a no-prize gimme, to include Stryfe next season, and that this storyline will likely end in an adaptation of the outback period mixed with New Mutants/Generation X. Mostly because X-Cutioner's Song and Generation X are probably the last remaining 90s stories that haven't been used.
signature

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu May 09, 2024 12:47 pm

Yeah, I was thinking much the same.

TOS was originally going to end by setting up Generation X, back when season 4 was planned as the final season.

KingRoyal wrote:Mostly because X-Cutioner's Song and Generation X are probably the last remaining 90s stories that haven't been used.

The last two brobdingnagian Event stories, maybe. There are still plenty of '90s plots they haven't tapped yet. I'd lay decent odds on Joseph and The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix (the first one where they're raising Cable in the future, not the second one with Mr. Sinister which TOS already did).

I'd love to see them get into Psylocke and Revanche, not despite that story being a goddamn mess and not fitting the cartoon continuity at all but because of those things.

And that's just the core X-teams, not even getting into the spinoffs. Say, what's this about a sword-wielding Nightcrawler on a team based at Muir Island? And is that Deadpool's costume I spy in that glass case?

Destynova

Postby Destynova » Fri May 10, 2024 7:34 pm

I would like to see a good Demon Bear arc.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri May 10, 2024 7:44 pm

KingRoyal wrote:The Judgement of Magneto for Defector*

This is the setup for Resurrection of Magneto, an ongoing miniseries by Al Ewing and Luciano Vecchio.

wait, what the fuck is an "ongoing miniseries"

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Fri May 10, 2024 9:41 pm

It is currently being published?
signature

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat May 11, 2024 4:19 pm

X97 is on such a roll right now. Tolerance is Extinction pts 1 & 2 have been absolute bangers.

The pace of this thing continues to be absolutely wild, blasting through 20 comics an ep, every ep.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue May 14, 2024 10:55 am

KingRoyal wrote:It is currently being published?

I guess that makes sense in isolation but I'd probably use a phrase like "currently running" instead of a word that, in this context, is typically used to mean the opposite of a miniseries.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue May 14, 2024 11:47 am

KingRoyal wrote:I think Cyclops needs to work on his strategizing a little bit. When dividing up the team to fight Magneto and Mr. Sinister, maybe consider where to send the guy whose bones are made of metal and the only person who can actually harm Mr. Sinister

IIRC Wolverine losing his adamantium was the result of the writers straight-up taking a derisive remark and running with it. They were doing a brainstorming session and they were like "We need to have Wolverine fight Magneto" and somebody was like "That's stupid, Magneto would just rip his skeleton out" and Lobdell and Nicieza were like "FUCK YES we are definitely doing that, you had us at 'That's stupid.'"

Also: I just realized that Cyclops, Wolverine, and Storm going back to their old costumes isn't just a comics callback, it's also a nod to Pryde of the X-Men. And what do you know, that pilot involved Professor X, Wolverine, Cyclops, Nightcrawler, and a lady with fireworks powers fighting Magneto on Asteroid M.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed May 15, 2024 6:01 pm

So how'd we do?

Onslaught? Well, things went a little differently this time, but I'd still be very surprised if it didn't happen.

Joseph? Well, we don't have the setup for it at this point but it could still happen later.

Outback Era? I would have sworn that was where we were headed when Asteroid M was crashing, but nope. That, too, could still happen later.

Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix? Yep, and Askani'Son too from the looks of it. Man, I didn't even remember Askani'Son existed until I saw the agent Egypt stuff.

Actually, a multi-era Apocalypse story is a solid idea. I mean they kinda did it in the season 4 finale but this isn't quite the same thing.

Gambit as Apocalypse's Angel of Death? I should have totally seen that coming but I'd kinda forgotten that was a thing that happened; I haven't paid close attention to the comics in about 25 years.

Which kinda rules out Wolverine as Death.

I wonder if there'll ever be any payoff for that "Off-World" flag on Wanda's picture.

So Iron Man and Morph-as-Mr. Fantastic were both wearing their costumes from their '90s cartoons. You know there has to have been some discussion at this point about doing more shows in a '90s Marvel Animated Universe, even if the ones that weren't X-Men or Spider-Man weren't exactly rousing successes at the time.

Of all the cameos, I was not expecting Cloak and Dagger.

Magneto laments not having a family after having a vision of his three children. I mean, I know they're not on friendly terms or anything, but still, the dude does in fact have living blood relatives.

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed May 15, 2024 10:00 pm

Thad wrote:So how'd we do?

So Iron Man and Morph-as-Mr. Fantastic were both wearing their costumes from their '90s cartoons. You know there has to have been some discussion at this point about doing more shows in a '90s Marvel Animated Universe, even if the ones that weren't X-Men or Spider-Man weren't exactly rousing successes at the time.

I never saw the end of the Spider-Man 90s cartoon, but apparently it ended with Mary Jane missing, so I saw a fair amount of people happy to see in this episode that apparently she was found -- except Spider-Man didn't end until '98.

The level of pedantic detail in this fucking gem.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu May 16, 2024 12:30 am

Niku wrote:except Spider-Man didn't end until '98.

The level of pedantic detail in this fucking gem.

If T'Chaka is still Black Panther, then that puts us somewhere before "Prey of the Black Panther", which aired in November 1995.