TV Series On The Television

Thad

Re: TV Series On The Television

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:27 am

And they really missed an opportunity to use a backwards "F" in the logo.

Niku

Postby Niku » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:25 pm

Beavis & Butthead and Clone High are both getting reboots. Mission Hill continuation / spin-off is being shopped around. If you have a beloved animated series you want more of, start bothering the creators now before the studios can start turning on cameras to film live people again and stop digging through their back catalogues for content.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:58 pm

Niku wrote:Beavis & Butthead and Clone High are both getting reboots.

Holy shit. I'd heard about B&B but not Clone High. Fantastic.

I won't say I never thought I'd see the day -- given Lord and Miller's cachet, I figured it was bound to happen eventually -- but still a pleasant surprise that it's finally happening.

If you have a beloved animated series you want more of, start bothering the creators now before the studios can start turning on cameras to film live people again and stop digging through their back catalogues for content.

Kevin Smith's already pushing Clerks. DuckTales, Thundercats, He-Man, She-Ra, Voltron, Young Justice, Muppet Babies, Boondocks, and Animaniacs are already covered. That leaves, let's see...The Critic, Futurama, maybe something in the DCAU?

(The sad thing about The Critic is how much of the cast is no longer with us. It's always a little bittersweet watching the credits and seeing names like Phil Hartman, Doris Grau, Charles Napier, and Christine Cavanaugh scroll by.)

Ooh! Gargoyles. Bring back Gargoyles!

And hell, if He-Man can have two different series in development at the same time, why not bring back the 2011 Thundercats and run it concurrently with Thundercats Roar? Why not, in addition to whatever new series of Transformers is coming, do another one set in the G1 continuity and tell us what happens after the end of Beast Machines?

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:02 am

Continuing in the "cartoons I'd bring back" vein: I'd love to see Megas XLR make a comeback, but I read an article recently that suggested that's never going to happen because Cartoon Network wrote the show off as a loss and will have to pay back taxes if it ever becomes profitable (which is why it's never been released on disc or streaming).

If I could magic Spectacular Spider-Man back into existence, I'd do that too, of course, though given that Weisman's already working on Young Justice and I already threw out "bring back Gargoyles" in my previous post, it wouldn't exactly be realistic for him to do all three at once. (Then again, "big ambitious multi-series plans" is kind of Weisman's thing. Gargoyles was supposed to be followed by multiple spinoffs, and Spectacular Spider-Man was supposed to do a high school semester per season until Peter's graduation and then continue as a series of direct-to-DVD movies. I still kinda suspect that Young Justice season 2's five-year time jump is the result of Weisman thinking "Dammit, I never get to finish my five-year plan; let's just skip to the end since my shows always get canceled after two seasons anyway.")

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:37 am

My choice in all honesty; you tried it twice with live action (and I liked the pilot of the latest one! Even if I didn’t end up following up on it), it’s time to animate The Tick again. I would absolutely say “finally conclude Reboot” also BECAUSE THERE WAS NEVER A REVIVAL OF THE SHOW, but the lack of Tony Jay’s availability from the busy realm of ghosts is a real dealbreaker on that possibility.

Incidentally Disney+ not only fixed the fact that the DuckTales reboot has its episodes wildly out of order, but put them into creator-preferred order rather than aired-order. The scrambling is largely what kept me from diving in as soon as D+ launched, so now I’ve started going in on it and that show is a delight.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:28 am

I've been thinking about the question for two days now, and I think JLU is the only animated series I would actually want to see come back in some way that hasn't already.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:22 pm

Niku wrote:I would absolutely say “finally conclude Reboot”

What do you think still needs fleshing out after the big third season finale?

Also, "I crossed my gun with pirate swords and sailed the seas of cyberspace" is still one of the greatest lines in any song ever.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:38 pm

There was a fourth season (actually, Futurama style follow-up movies that were broken up into a season) that ended on a cliffhanger. The third season ending where it did would've been a pretty fine finale, and instead the very last thing you get is Tony Jay cackling maniacally in victory -- which, you know, is still a pretty fine way to go out.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:55 pm

Wow, I had actually completely forgotten about the Daemon arc, though I did in fact watch it now that you mention (as the movie). I never realized they chopped it up into episodes to try and keep the franchise going as an episodic show.

Never saw My Two Bobs. It being originally aired in November 2001 (which kiiiiind of had other stuff going on at the time), and also after I'd been at university a couple years is probably why.

Tony Jay was the best, regardless. For much of our childhood, I referred to my brother as "The Boy", specifically invoking Megabyte (which was a shitty and mean older brother thing to do, but, y'know).

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:55 pm

Well, Dan DiDio is recently unemployed...

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:56 am

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:18 am

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:59 pm

It also occurs to me that they really need to recast Gandhi.

By all means bring back Michael McDonald and give him something to do. Just...not that.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:23 am

Thought of another one: I'd like to see the Timm/Volpe Green Lantern series get a second season.

Also: The Brave and the Bold got a perfect sendoff, so I don't need to see it back as a regular series, but it's already had one direct-to-video movie followup (crossing over with Scooby-Doo) and I wouldn't mind more of those.

Adding: Speaking of TB&TB, I remember there was talk at one point of giving Tom Kenny his own Plastic Man series. Whatever happened with that? I wanna see that.

And speaking of Tom Kenny, remember that Popeye animation test he was in? I was going to say "Let's see that Genndy Tartakovsky Popeye movie finally get made," but as I was looking for that video I came across this news from May: Genndy Tartakovsky’s ‘Popeye’ Movie Afloat with King Features. So it looks like they're already on it.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:00 pm

Thad wrote:Why not, in addition to whatever new series of Transformers is coming, do another one set in the G1 continuity and tell us what happens after the end of Beast Machines?

Welp

munky not trukk

Speculating wildy based on emojis of an ape and a T rex, I'd say this isn't exactly what I had in mind, since I wanted to see a continuation past the end of Beast Machines (which ended with both Optimus and Megatron dying). But still, pretty close, and new Beast Wars is nothing to sneeze at.