X-Men

Thad

Re: X-Men

Postby Thad » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:57 pm

Yeah, I'm gonna be honest, I went with that image instead of one that was cropped to just Morph specifically because of that.

Oh, '90s.

...wow, Rogue's nipples are way more pronounced than the usual Barbie boobie look, too.

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:14 am

I am mad now that I absolutely cannot find a quote or interview that I swore I read once from Don Bluth about how it's healthy to have a little sexualization, as a treat, regarding Daphne in Dragon's Lair

also I am waiting with absolute bated breath for someone, anyone to make a new x-men animated series based on the 2000s skottie young run where everyone is built like a broomstick and wearing massive chunky gloves and boots for absolutely no good reason except that it all makes them look like mega man.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:36 am

which one gets to be Rearrange-Your-Guts Man

Romosome

Postby Romosome » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:54 pm

Niku wrote:
Thad wrote:...I am currently in a conversation where a bunch of us old-timers are trying to explain Onslaught to a Gen Z'er who is just hearing about it for the first time.

he doubles other ongoing abilities at his location it's not that hard

oh snap

(I laughed)

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:42 am

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:46 am

Gambit is like 6'1" and Wolverine is like 5'3" that does not seem the most efficient way to travel
signature

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:02 am

I like how they treat "To me, my X-Men" as a big climactic moment even though that's a phrase nobody ever used on the cartoon.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:10 am

That seems perfectly in keeping with general X-Men 9297 vibes
signature

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:15 am

Aside from the part where it's a reference to a comic from, what, 2005?

Not that I have a problem with that. "Add later stuff but in the old style" works for me. The Batman '66 comic did '60s-style versions of Croc and Harley.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:17 am

Thad wrote: The Batman '66 comic did '60s-style versions of Croc and Harley.

And the animated series did '66 Two-Face, though apparently Harlan Ellison had written a Two-Face episode for the original show that never got made

Also wondering which Summers child Jean Grey is pregnant with. I know Cable was already in the show, but can't remember if he was already born, if the Summers know his relationship, or if the show intends to do the Scott and Jean are mentally blasted into the far future to raise their son thing
signature

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:10 pm

KingRoyal wrote:And the animated series did '66 Two-Face, though apparently Harlan Ellison had written a Two-Face episode for the original show that never got made

Just a treatment, not a full script, but yeah, there was a comic and a movie based on it. Not quite the same thing since Two-Face was already an existing character in 1966, but yeah another example of something else from the comics getting added to TV continuity.

KingRoyal wrote:Also wondering which Summers child Jean Grey is pregnant with. I know Cable was already in the show, but can't remember if he was already born, if the Summers know his relationship, or if the show intends to do the Scott and Jean are mentally blasted into the far future to raise their son thing

My recollection is that Cyclops didn't know Cable was his son or that Havok was his brother. I don't think the show ever spells it out, either, though the subtext is there for those who know.

Cable is the obvious guess since he's already been on the show, he's confirmed appearing in this followup, and Rachel Summers has never had so much as a mention, but what the hell, it's X-Men, maybe Rachel will just show up without preamble. Whether they'll fuck around with Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix, I could see them doing it as one episode (they already did with the Further Adventures in the final season).

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:15 pm

it feels so weird hearing a non-David Hemblen voice coming out of Magneto

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:50 pm

Yeah, obviously they were going to have to recast some roles, but it's interesting they chose not to go with soundalikes. I guess not altogether surprising given that last-season Gambit didn't sound anything like earlier-seasons Gambit.

I like that Magneto's entire role in the trailer is to show up with a will that makes everybody mad. He has never been more relatable.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:16 pm

Extremely in character for Xavier to have had his will bound into a novel with a custom cover

The only thing that could be more Charles Xavier is if he had Lilandra and Moira show up at his funeral but intentionally left them out of the will
signature

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:20 pm

Last we saw him he was being taken off to outer space by Lilandra and could never return to Earth. He didn't actually die, so I'm not quite sure how we get here from that ending.

I'm still betting he comes back as Onslaught. Because what could possibly be more '90s than that?

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:25 pm

Thad wrote:Last we saw him he was being taken off to outer space by Lilandra and could never return to Earth. He didn't actually die, so I'm not quite sure how we get here from that ending.

Don't think I ever actually finished watching the original series oh so long ago, so I'm not up on how it ended. Is that scene where they're gathered around his death bed not accurate? Either way, he would still probably leave Lilandra out of his will, because that's how Professor X rolls

I'm still betting he comes back as Onslaught. Because what could possibly be more '90s than that?

The comics adapted Casandra Nova so they better adapt Onslaught
signature

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:55 pm

KingRoyal wrote:Don't think I ever actually finished watching the original series oh so long ago, so I'm not up on how it ended. Is that scene where they're gathered around his death bed not accurate?

That scene's from the finale and it is his big goodbye to everybody, but he doesn't actually die. Or he dies and then gets better, because Lilandra shows up and does some glowy kiss thing and he wakes back up, then she takes him to outer space, with some babble about how she can keep him alive but he can never return. That shot at the end where they're all looking at the sky is them watching the ship leave.

I guess you could read the last line as implying that his body died but she saved his mind; I think having his eyes open back up pretty clearly indicates that's not what's happening, but it also reeks of "we had to do this part to appease BS&P."

Destynova

Postby Destynova » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:02 pm

They could have it be Changeling who died.

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:41 am

i had the exact same thing happen in like fourth or fifth grade when i wrote a story for class where the x-men were on a quest for vengeance after xavier got killed and either my mom or my teacher i forget which was like "does this really need to have someone die in it???"

hire elementary school me to write for x-men animated is what i'm saying

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:46 am

Watching the X-Men cartoon got me into reading X-Men comics which in the 90s were just full of people dying

or having all the adamantium ripped off their skeletons while still alive, things of that nature
signature