The Star Trek Thread

Büge

Re: The Star Trek Thread

Postby Büge » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:27 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:38 pm

The Future of ‘Star Trek’: From ‘Starfleet Academy’ to New Movies and Michelle Yeoh, How the 58-Year-Old Franchise Is Planning for the Next Generation of Fans

I like hearing that Starfleet Academy is going to be set post-Discovery. Always nice to see Trek looking forward instead of backward (though looking backward isn't all bad; Strange New Worlds knows how it's done) and there's a lot of potential in that era that they haven't explored yet.

Plus, y'know, maybe some characters from Discovery could stop by sometime. They're talking about being wary about too much continuity, which is sensible, but that doesn't mean you can't find some plot that uses Saru or whoever in a way that doesn't rely too much on backstory.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:58 am

The baby's favorite characters are Worf and Data.

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:15 pm

okay but who is the baby's favorite captain

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:36 pm

The baby has only seen Picard so far but seems to like him.

The baby seems happy looking at faces in general but I think Worf and Data are the most interesting because they're not typical human faces.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:12 pm

The baby enjoys watching TNG but cannot see the episode "Aquiel"
ImageImageImage

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:36 pm

Watching the latest set of Discovery eps, for the fifth and final season.

This show is so strange to me in how it is coherent and broadly entertaining but I feel absolutely positively nothing watching it.

The good:

• Loved the scenes with Saru and Michael together, walking through the woods and chatting. Disco has needed to give its characters space like this for a while, it was real refreshing getting two people just chatting at leisure.

• The smugger couple is fun, I'm enjoying them so far. All the shots of their ship doing something, like the countermeasures or the in-atmo laser barrage, was cool as hell. The effects for that ship look great.

• Enjoyed Frank quite a bit, really cool seeing another Soong-type android, with the implications that synths continued to grow and become a unique species, with all the variety that comes with.

• The two ships blocking the sandstorm was a cool use of the shields in-atmosphere, love seeing a creative use of the tech.

• Jet Reno gets another laugh-out-loud line from me during the interviews.

• Still really love the "absolute candor" aspect of NuTrek, and Michael with not-Shaw in the debriefing room was great. One of my favorite Michael scenes in a while.

The Bad:

• The "Red Directive" paints an incredibly bleak picture of where the Federation has ended up. So you are telling me that in the Federation, in the Federation of the future, you will be expected to just do a mission "for the security of the Federation" where you are not told what your are doing or why, and are thus not equipped to make any kind of moral determination? And you get a license to kill and are indeed told not to worry about causalities, because the ends justify the means? You cannot have this black ops shit if you want us to believe the Federation is a just organization. Even the Omega Directive required the captain to know what the aspect of critical importance was, so they could make moral determinations.

Shaw 2 says that he's been on 7 different Red Directives during his career. These things apparently happen all the time, which is deranged.

• To the above, it seems super duper likely that Kovich is Section 31, and that Section 31 not only exists in the future, but exerts power at the highest level of the Federation. Even the President of the Federation is powerless to the whims of the space CIA, answerable to nobody.

• Really hope I'm wrong about this but if I am, who is Kovich answerable to? Why do they have a guy like this? Why is it so hard for NuTrek to imagine a government or navy that isn't the 21st-century United States?

• Frank was a great new character, was interested in learning more about him. But, because he's a morally grey character due to him being involved in buying/selling smuggled goods, he is instantly executed so that cosmic justice can be delivered. Continues the NuTrek tradition, alongside Sneed and Shaw of killing off any promising new unique character you introduce if they are not unambiguously a good-coded heroic character.

• Continues to drive me insane how reckless our heroes are. Starfleet blasts in to a desert planet, and because it is not a Federation planet, they immediately get into a shooting chase (on speeder bikes) with two smugglers they want. This rapidly escalates as the smugglers beeline for the mountain, at which point the Federation does an orbital strike on an explosives cache in the mountain knowing that there is a 30% chance this kills every man, woman, and child in the city. The bad guys then follow Starfleet's example and try to blow up the mountain, causing the avalanche, and Starfleet scrambles to protect the city from the disaster they caused.

• I know this is just action movie logic but man does it not gel with Star Trek as an idea. You have to imagine Starfleet as this like Bad Boys cartoon cowboy justice org that causes death and disaster wherever their latest military adventure takes them.

• I truly legit thought for a cold-blooded moment that Michael was about to elect her boyfriend as the XO of the ship. Holy hell was I relieved that it was Shaw 2 instead. I have this dire feeling that when Shaw 2 eats it later this season it's gonna be Booker that gets field-promoted from smuggler to XO of a Starfleet vessel within two years.

• The way they are collecting zelda keys that slot into a 3D-printed insignia makes me want to die. My prediction for this season is that they will get directions to a Progenitor Genesis device they used to originally seed the galaxy, and some guy will either intentionally or unintentionally try to activate it, destroying all life and/or remaking the galaxy in their image.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:51 am

Yeah, not much to add to that except that I was like "Holy shit, the season arc is that episode where Picard blew up the ancient lab so the Romulans wouldn't find it?" and then I looked it up and nope, it wasn't even the one-off, never-acknowledged-again episode about a mysterious ancient race that I was thinking of. (I've got a ways to go before season 6! I'm just finishing up season 2.)

Also Lower Decks in canceled and the production team found out about it when Paramount+ released a promo hyping season 5 as "the final season", so that's fun.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:59 am

Yeah, sucks about LD. I've always hoped it would get more into a storyline, and it felt it was going in that direction, but yeah with this being the last season they'll be too focused on wrapping things up to take any risks.

Ah well, good show.