The Star Trek Thread

Thad

Re: The Star Trek Thread

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:58 am

Friday wrote:That would be rad as fuck, and an amazing twist that nobody could possibly see coming (except you, I guess) but sadly, the canonical start point/divergence for the Mirror Universe was shown already in Enterprise.

That in and of itself doesn't preclude this from being set in the Mirror Universe, though I guess all the Federation/Vulcan stuff probably does. I never watched Enterprise, and haven't watched much of any of the other series either, come to that.

Mothra wrote:Enjoyed this last ep of Discovery quite a bit. Feel like this show's out of weeds now.

Yeah, it did seem like a big improvement. The only "this is an obviously bad decision why are people letting this happen" bit was the Captain/Admiral are Banging part, which I'm not going to spoiler tag because it's been obvious every time they've shared screentime. This is a pretty clear breakdown in discipline and chain of command between two of the most important leaders in a wartime situation; why the hell are the other Federation leaders okay with her overseeing him? Even if it weren't really obvious that their relationship is sexual (Narrator: It was.) they talk about how they're old friends all the time.

But, y'know. By the standards this show's set for "Why is anybody doing any of these things and how do they keep getting promoted?" that's a pretty minor complaint. It was a straightforward episode written around character relationships and it mostly made sense.

Time Loop Episode on Sunday. I love time loop episodes.

Bal

Postby Bal » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:06 pm

They should call it "Tomorrow's Enterprise" and it's just Picard yelling at them for 40 minutes.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:02 pm

Bal wrote:They should call it "Tomorrow's Enterprise" and it's just Picard yelling at them for 40 minutes.

lololol

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:46 pm

Godddd the internet really went out of its way to spoil this weird-ass twist for me, like a month in advance.

This one was good, but my god is it Discovery as all hell, good and bad. The hallway-to-hallway action is blah and awkward, and the ship stuff is too brief and frantic to really keep tabs on, but it’s all rendered in incredible detail. Kol is like the most cartoonishly evil villain in Star Trek since the Nemesis guy, which is really really odd in a show of grays like this. I am like completely done with this first-episode-onward arc of Michael’s, but Stamets is wonderful, the captain’s finally getting interesting, I like Ash, Tilly is consistently great, so it’s all gravy there.

Klingon stuff could not be less interesting, again, because they’re such TOS-level mustache-twirling baddies. There were all these implications in the first episode that they had this weird and fascinating culture that humans had no understanding of, with ships built with incredibly intricate detail sculpted into the hull and the interiors, but nope, they’re flesh-eating all space orcs with piles of rotting dead bodies just laying around.

Tone is all over the place, too. I loved the first half, with all the political/captaining stuff with Lorca dismissing Starfleet’s orders, to them all rearing up for their daring plan, to the battle, then BAM when they’re on the ship, they’re immediately funneled into that room with all the stacked bodies, where they sit and stay for latter half the episode while Ash goes through horrific Saw flashbacks. So now all the momentum is slowed to a stop and we’re all focusing on how fucked up Ash is, while the action outside is cutting to the Discovery warping all around the Sarcophagus, doing something they never actually got around to explaining, while Stamets is like on the electric chair. Then on to Michael challenging Kol to a fucking knife fight, which is definitely really classic Star Trek, but felt so enormously out of place in THIS show. I mean, I’d love to embrace the shlocky parts like you would for Voyager, but the surrounding show is usually really good and dramatic, so, it’s weird to have goofy moments like this.

I think one of the tradeoffs they made with putting in such a dark, violent, brooding storyline and moving at such a tense forward pace, is that you don’t get room to breathe and enjoy it. Statmets dancing with Michael in the time loop ep was probably the last time I really felt like this show was taking some time to enjoy the world its built.

It feels like Saru, Tilly, Statments, Culber and even Lorca are in one show, where they have these 9-to-5 episodic adventures foiling Mudd every week, whereas Michael, Cornwell, Kol, L’Rell, and Ash are in a completely different shakey-cam 24 hell war infinity show that never fucking slows down or takes a breather as they barrel uncontrollably and helplessly into their next disastrous decision.

Yeah, it’s weird.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:47 pm

Oh, and my theory on L'Rell (potentially a huge future-spoiler if true) is that she was in love with Vok before he agreed to go through the procedure to change him into a human. She then regularly, in her eyes, made love with him to ease the horror of being turned into this alien, and to "heal" him somehow after causing him mind-breaking pain in the surgery.

I don't think she's got a thing for humans, she's got a thing for Vok.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:49 pm

Mothra wrote:Oh, and my theory on L'Rell is that she was in love with Vok before he agreed to go through the procedure to change him into a human.

wait what?

...anyway, star of Rent says he's going to go see La Boheme. I don't know why I wasn't expecting musical theater nerd jokes in Star Trek, but I wasn't.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:36 am

That's my hair-brained theory and I'm sticking to it.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:48 pm

Slightly different theory in the gist of Mothra's:

Tyler has been brainwashed to be possessed by Voq in some form. This has less plot holes, and also allows for some nice "remember who you are" and "fight the influence" scenes.