The Star Trek Thread

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: The Star Trek Thread

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:14 pm

Yeah, okay, that design is kind of silly, as were the sound effects. Minor concern, but no big deal.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:31 pm

Wow. Yeah, that really does look an awful damn lot like someone was digging around in McQuarrie's old concept art. That said, I actually like it a lot better. At least it looks a lot less like an imperial star destroyer with a tea saucer bolted on top. In fact, this might be the first design I've seen where the stardrive section wouldn't look completely derpy with the saucer detached. I always thought the Galaxy seemed pretty silly like that.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:46 pm

Weird how it's so close to the classic Klingon design (which, let's face it, is the coolest Star Trek ship). Wonder if it was some hybrid design or something.

Was reading an interview with Bryan Fuller where he said some really encouraging stuff about the concept:

What has [Nicholas Myer] brought to bear on the new series, with that distinctive dramatic sensibility that he has?

Well, a clarity and a cleanliness to the storytelling. An ability to ground science-fiction in a relatable way, and also making sure that we're telling character stories.

People got excited about the word "crews," plural, in the teaser trailer.

Yeah.

Does that have a specific meaning? Or was that sort of a word that was used?

No, I think we will be seeing lots of crews in the story. One of the things that is exciting for me is that we are telling a "Star Trek" story in a modern way. We're telling a 13-chapter story in this first season. It's nice to be able to dig deep into things that would have been breezed passed if we were doing episodic and had to contain a story to an episode.

He also said that the series does not happen after Undiscovered Country but before Next Generation, like some people were saying. So either this is set during the original series, or during the Next Gen timeline, or after, or all across the timeline.

My money's on "all across the timeline."

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:14 pm

Saw new Trek movie.

This is two movies now where they make nods to Enterprise, the first being "Admiral Archer's Beagle" in the first and now "The Xindi war" in the third.

Why are you adding these? Nobody liked Enterprise. I mean, I sort of did because I just pretended the first thing Archer on screen in the pilot did was look disoriented and then say "Oh boy."

Anyway, it was a pretty baller summer action flick. It's missable but not a waste of your time. I think my favorite part was when Scotty is spouting off technobabble and hot alien girl who I had a dream about that night cuts him off and says LET ME DO IT and Scotty is like "no lassie I can -- BAZZZZZTTT" and electrocutes himself and then she just yanks a tube into another tube

THIS ISN'T SCIENCE FICTION ANYMORE MR SCOTT THIS IS NOW "PUNCH IT CHEWIE", WE DON'T TALK ABOUT PHASE CONDUCTERS
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:25 am

Articles about Star Trek: Discovery at TV Guide and CBS. Notably, the lead will be a woman but not a captain.

Also:

TV Guide wrote:- The new series is set 10 years before Captain Kirk's five-year mission chronicled by Star Trek: The Original Series, but Fuller stated that it is not set during the Romulan War. He also confirmed the central event in the series will not be the Kobayashi Maru, a fictional no-win scenario (and name of a starship) used to test captains at Starfleet Academy.

- The new series will be set in the Prime universe as opposed to the J.J. Abrams films, which separated into the Kelvin universe in 2009.

Bal

Postby Bal » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:45 am

Wouldn't it be impossible for it to be in the Kelvin universe if it takes place that early? The big differences begin due to the events of that film.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:08 am

Well, the destruction of the Kelvin may not be as important as the destruction of Vulcan, but it's still the point of divergence (Khan becoming a white guy notwithstanding), and that happens at the moment Kirk is born.

Bal

Postby Bal » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:05 am

Wait, so how did Spock prime get to Kelvinverse? Or is that not Spock prime? ...? This isn't Lost, JJ, cut it out.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:47 am

At the point the prime universe stops getting canon media is about the point where they just start doing stupid time travel shit all willy nilly; I think Spock gives some bullshit "Oh we detected a time problem so I came in my fucking time pod" excuse for why he shows up.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:03 pm

I haven't seen it since it was in the theater, but IIRC Spock followed Nero through a wormhole or whatever it was that sent him back in time.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:19 pm

I think after Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home it was established that it was common knowledge in the Trek universe that if they flew around the sun a couple times they could straight-up travel through time whenever they felt like it.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:10 pm

2009 Trek is pretty clear about the whole thing - Spock and Nero accidentally traveling back in time due to black hole fuckery, and Nero blowing up the Kelvin, are what create the Kelvinverse timeline. Spock's stuck there.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:22 am

With Nemesis, I have now seen all of the "bad" Trek movies. It too was not nearly as bad as I'd been led to expect.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:57 am

Captain Picard - beloved diplomat and Renaissance man - dual-wields phase rifles in the dark hallways of an orc vampire battleship, murdering everything in sight.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:02 am

So, I wanted to get something related to an original series ep about AI for my cube at Amazon Robotics. The Ultimate Computer is definitely the most fitting, conceptually, but there's not much out there in the way of posters or figures:

Thinking I might go for this sweet Nomad poster instead:

Anyone got any other ideas?

(On a related note, re-watched Changeling and Ultimate Computer recently and man, those two are probably the strongest of the original series)

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:51 am

ImageImageImage

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:32 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:11 am

This could go a lot of ways, but so far, despite its troubled development and boneheaded distribution strategy, Discovery has potential.

I don't know that we needed the main character to be Spock's previously-unmentioned adopted human sister. And I feel like we've gone back to the "war with the Klingons" well more than enough already. But it's got a pretty solid cast, and a suitably on-the-nose hook, with the central conflict coming down to a thinly-veiled debate on whether or not Star Trek's optimism has a place in this polarized, dangerous moment in history.

I liked the first two episodes well enough that I intend to watch the third, and probably the rest of the season after that.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:38 am

I don't quite have a handle on Michael yet? Like, at first she wants to do a scorched-earth strike based on nothing but Ghost Dad, but then she wants to take prisoners? So what, she's a loose cannon but she DOESN'T get results?

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:28 am

I forget, did she learn any new information between those two things? I think the idea is that she wanted to take out the whole ship until she found out about T'Kuvma's religious angle and then she didn't want to make him a martyr, but I don't remember whether there was actually anything to explain why she wouldn't know that before the attack but would after.