Doctor Who

Büge

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Büge » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:23 pm

Thad wrote:Big honkin' 500-episode Classic Who marathon running Monday-Friday on Twitch; started last Tuesday and running through July 23.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:37 am

So, uh.

I haven't used Twitch before. Is there a rewind function somewhere that I'm not seeing? Is there a way to go back and watch from earlier in the stream?

Because it sure looks like there isn't.

And the combination of "serialized show that's not friendly to jumping on in the middle" plus "no way to go back to an earlier episode" plus "the stream starts at 11 AM on fucking weekdays" leads me to ask the question, what the fuck is the point of this? Who is it for?

Although I have to say, "It is 2018 but technology is behaving in more or less the same way as it did in 1963" is pretty much the most Doctor Who thing I can think of.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:13 pm

I can't comment on jumping around in this stream specifically. It does exist as a feature on twitch but I'm sure they have ways to turn it off for these types of 'events'.

But for the time, isn't that basically prime time in the UK?

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:38 am

VODs were apparently either disabled or deleted for this channel, yes. I suppose the single scheduled showing of a lot of these episodes was part of the licensing agreement.

"It is 2018 but technology is behaving in more or less the same way as it did in 1963, because laws" is definitely peak Who.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:44 am

This is really weird. I like the idea of a twitch stream that endlessly shows Doctor Who eps, though. Kinda wish this was that, and not this.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:42 am

There is a streaming service with on-demand classic Who episodes. It's called BritBox and is co-owned by BBC and ITV.

Presumably the "nope, you can't rewind" anti-feature of the Twitch stream is due to some kind of non-compete between Amazon (which has the streaming rights to the current series) and BritBox.

There's a whole rant I could get into about how I pay for three streaming services and still can't watch all the shows I want to, and how this is part of an ongoing trend to try to make the Internet more like fucking cable TV, and how there comes a point where just pirating the goddamn thing really is the most attractive option.

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:11 am

Thad wrote:there comes a point where just pirating the goddamn thing really is the most attractive option.

On that note, technically minded Brit here - lmk if anyone needs proxy/time shift access to iplayer tv or radio.

McDohl

Postby McDohl » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:14 pm

So 52 seconds of footage leaked from (presumably) the first episode, because Whitaker is still in the tattered Capaldi outfit, so she's probably still in her regenerative loopy state. This probably won't be her ground state for characterization, but she still seems very quick tongued. Some stills also got posted somewhere of her in goggles, and HOLY SHIT SHE LOOKS AMAZING IN THEM. I don't have links handy, sadly, but, hey, New Doctor Who stuff is trickling out!

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:33 am

Humble Who/Torchwood Bundle.

There's not really a lot of Who there. There are several Short Trips, which are audiobooks rather than radio plays; there are interviews with the two Bakers; and there are a number of Torchwood plays that I'm not familiar with. There are really only three Doctor Who radio plays in the set: the first part of Dark Eyes (which is quite good, but I already have it) and a pair of Fourth Doctor stories.

However, that pair of Fourth Doctor stories goes for $45 on the Big Finish site, so snagging it for $15 is a deal in and of itself.

Bal

Postby Bal » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:43 pm

I'm not seeing this posted here, and though I suspect you've all seen it, here it is for posterity.