Holy shit, Extremis was dark as fuck.

That was excellent.

Bal

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Bal » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:26 am

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:47 pm

Half-price Eighth Doctor at Big Finish. There are quite a few I already have and haven't listened to yet, but I think I'll pick up Human Resources, Lucie Miller / To the Death, and the last two Doom Coalition serials.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:54 pm

Loved the finale, a lot. Really cool location with a great time-travel-based gimmick, awesome reintroduction of a usually blah monster, Zathrus in the lower levels, fun moments like the robot zombie Gen 1 cybermen siege of the farmers of level 805, consistently great Nardole, and Bill just being as great as she's been this entire season. I think the only iffy parts were Missy's story, which was great up until the eh conclusion.

Hell of a hook for the Christmas ep, too. Desperately sad to see Moffatt go.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:17 pm

Jodie Whitaker is the Thirteenth Doctor (and since "Jodie" is a gender-neutral name I will add that she is a lady-type person).

I haven't seen the last two episodes yet so I'm not reading a whole lot of articles lest they tell me how the season ended, but here are IMDb credits.

Oh, okay, Broadchurch. I saw the first season of that. She was the mother of the murdered child.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:58 pm

I really and honestly did not believe this would actually happen, no matter how much online clamoring there was for it. I'm super glad to have been proven wrong.

Rico

Postby Rico » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:24 pm

As one might expect, there are plenty of salty tears for those who enjoy reading that sort of thing.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:29 pm

I just knew her as White Lady from Attack The Block. She WAS great in Attack The Block though.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:54 pm

Rico wrote:As one might expect, there are plenty of salty tears for those who enjoy reading that sort of thing.

Let the rivers flow!

Pathetic.
I'm sure she's a lovely actress but the Doctor has and always was a male. It makes not a jot of sense for him to change gender.
Moffatt may have just Seventh'ed Doctor Who. Bravo.
My favourite show ruined.

Disappointed! Awesome actress Jodie Whittaker but losing respect by going PC!
SHAME - the Doctor is a male role model that many little boys need.
Another superhero lost to Political Correctness ;_; D:<

This has to be a fucking joke. The Doctor has had 12 different versions up to now and the show runners have finally shown us how pathetic they really are. They had a chance to do this right. They had a chance to live up to a universe-spanning story and continue the legacy of 50+ years but no. Now we have a 13th doctor that's some lady. They could have picked anything but we have ANOTHER one that looks HUMAN. This is a disgrace and frankly I hope the series dies.

Also, this isn't salty, it's just funny:

Rico

Postby Rico » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:39 pm

I especially like the one blaming Moffat, who, y'know, a REAL TRUE FAN might know has stepped down from the series.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:51 pm

Okay, I'm up to speed.

I'll spoiler-tag in case anybody ends up watching a version that doesn't include the "Next time..." video, but yeah the preview for World Enough and Time totally gave away its ending, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, it establishes anticipation when you know what's coming and see the pieces fall into place; on the other hand, that would have happened anyway on repeat viewings if they'd let us go into it cold.

At any rate, I thought the multi-Master story was quite well-done and enjoyed seeing them bounce off each other.

Missy's arc was good and I think they did an effective job of keeping me guessing which way she'd ultimately come down. It's worth noting that the original plan, all the way back in the Delgado era, was that the Master would sacrifice himself to save the Doctor in the end, but Delgado died before that could play out.

(I liked the other references to previous Master stories, too. "I know you've fallen" made me chuckle.)

I don't know what I expected from the ending, but it definitely wasn't that.

The Christmas episode is apparently titled The Doctors. Its omission of a number (as in The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors, The Two Doctors) is suggestive. We know there will be at least three, but there could be more. The last multi-Doctor team-up managed to sneak in Tom Baker and Paul McGann, after all.

Might we see McGann, Tennant, or Smith back? Or does the use of #1 indicate a desire to go more oldschool? Moffat's never really gotten to play with Six or Seven. Or maybe David Bradley's casting indicates a willingness to recast other deceased Doctors -- I've been saying for years that I'd love to see Sean Pertwee step into his father's cravat.

All wild speculation, of course, and I haven't been following rumors like I used to (which is probably how I managed to make it to the end and be surprised to see David Bradley back in his Hartnell costume). But I definitely think the title's omission of the traditional number means something.

Rico wrote:As one might expect, there are plenty of salty tears for those who enjoy reading that sort of thing.

I had a very disappointing conversation at breakfast this morning with a teenage cousin who I thought knew better -- agendas, Ghostbusters, etc. (He managed to avoid using phrases like "PC" or "SJW", so there's hope for him yet.) I did my best to politely but firmly point out that:

(1) women are 51% of the population, and that soon 1/13 of all actors to have played the Doctor will be a woman (1/14 if we count Hurt, 1/15 if we count Cushing) still puts us pretty far from gender parity;

(2) even if we accept that there is an "agenda" to create more female-led shows and films, we're still far short of 51%;

(3) if you don't like Lady Ghostbusters or Amy Schumer or whatever else, that's okay! Humor is subjective! But keep that in mind; other people may like different things than you do, and why shouldn't they get entertainment that they enjoy?;

(4) even if we accept as a given that Lady Ghostbusters was a bad movie, so what? There are lots of bad movies, and the level of anger that's been leveled at Lady Ghostbusters, up to and including harassment of its stars, is not a proportional response to the existence of a bad movie;

(5) women pay the same ticket price to go see a movie as men do, and this is simply a market adjustment to the realization that women want to see movies with women in them.

I could have kept going, of course. Some other family members chimed in with discussion of the pay gap, of different attitudes toward women, things like that. I think we were respectful and constructive and hopefully gave him some things to think about.

Mongrel wrote:
This has to be a fucking joke. The Doctor has had 12 different versions up to now and the show runners have finally shown us how pathetic they really are. They had a chance to do this right. They had a chance to live up to a universe-spanning story and continue the legacy of 50+ years but no. Now we have a 13th doctor that's some lady. They could have picked anything but we have ANOTHER one that looks HUMAN. This is a disgrace and frankly I hope the series dies.

I like this guy.

Bal

Postby Bal » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:17 pm

I like the claim that we're lacking male role models.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:59 am

I wonder if Moffat already knew the next Doctor was going to be a woman when he wrote the finale (or at least by the time they shot the last scene), given that it ends with Twelve ranting that he doesn't want to change, he's through with changing, and One making fun of him for it. I suspect that "change can be scary, but it's healthy and you don't need to fight it, and she'll still be the same Doctor she's always been" will be a major theme of the Christmas special.

Course, to a large extent that's been a theme of Moffat's entire run from the word "G(eronim)o." From that vision of all eleven Doctors all the way back in The Eleventh Hour, to all of them appearing again in The Name of the Doctor, to "No sir! All thirteen!" in Day of the Doctor, to the peek at the Doctor's childhood in Listen, to the picture of Susan on his desk at the beginning of this season, to, well, right up to where we are now, Moffat's focused on the continuity of the Doctor's lives, the idea that at his core he's still the same person no matter how many times he changes. It's easy to assume that was always the note he was going to go out on, regardless of who the next Doctor was going to be.

But it seems even timelier and more appropriate under these circumstances.

And One's just the guy to make the point. Because really, if you're going to complain about Doctor Who changing, well, you're complaining about every Doctor except the First. And by the way, this isn't really him either, because he's dead. I look forward to seeing an actor who is also not actually the First Doctor making fun of people who complain about the Doctor undergoing changes. I imagine he will have some choice words about how all these other Doctors look like fakers to him.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:01 pm

I am of course happy for all my female friends that they are represented by the new doctor, but I have some troubling thoughts as well. Basically, I think that a lot of the success of the series is based on the balance inherent in the main cast between masculine and feminine energies. This may sound crazy but bear with me, I think this makes a lot of sense. So we have the doctor and the tardis, right? The Doctor is representative of the divine masculine, and his sonic screwdriver is a phallic symbol. The Tardis is a representative of the divine feminine, a figurative womb, perhaps unimpressive to an ignorant observer but in fact containing infinite potential. Additionally the Doctor is a sort of Harvest King figure, who is repeatedly sacrificed, brought back to life, and welcomed back by his metaphorical mate (Tardis). By making the doctor reincarnate as a feminine entity, the balance between yoni and lingam is upset, the show is overwhelmingly tilted towards the feminine energy and I think a lot of fans will lose engagement with the show in this season, maybe even without knowing why, because of this upset balance. I think it's imperative that the producers and writers of the show make the tardis male for this incarnation of the doctor, but even if they do the phallic screwdriver/womb tardis symoblism inherent in the old seasons will be lost. In the new configuration the female doctor will control the power of the phallus, while the male tardis controls the power of the womb, a dangerous throwback to 'traditional' marriage.

Oh my word.

Bal

Postby Bal » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:21 pm

That was a fantastic finale. I actually like the symmetry of Missy's story who else would kill the Master? The Doctor never would.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:03 pm

Caught the rerun of Rifftrax Live: The Five Doctors. It was fun! They've said they may not get the rights to release it for sale, but I heard somewhere that at least the UK would get it.

Also I didn't realize at the time (though I'm sure more observant/obsessive Who fans than I have already been over this), but the last line spoken in the recent finale was from The Five Doctors: Bradley-as-the-First-Doctor says "The original, you might say!", which Hurndall-as-the-First-Doctor says in The Five Doctors. (Apparently Capaldi said it earlier in the episode, too; I missed that.)

Also, there's a trailer for the Christmas special up that nobody's posted yet; I'll link instead of embedding just in case anybody hasn't seen the finale yet. Contrary to earlier reports, the title is Twice Upon a Time.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:07 pm

(Also I watched Attack the Block the other night and just kept thinking, "Man, here are two people who are about to hit the big time, and learn that fans are awful, awful people.")

Bal

Postby Bal » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:27 am

Very good.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:48 am

You know, the Doctor is awfully hung up on the whole "but you're not the original Bill" thing for a guy who left hundreds of billions of skulls of previous versions of himself at the bottom of what must have been a very large body of water.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:47 am

Big honkin' 500-episode Classic Who marathon running Monday-Friday on Twitch; started last Tuesday and running through July 23.

Picks back up tomorrow with The Time Meddler; running all the way up through McCoy. There's a full schedule at doctorwho.tv.