Doctor Who

Thad

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Thad » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:04 am

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:37 am

Now the next 50 Big Finish audios are on sale for $1.49 each.

I haven't heard a single one of these so I can't give any personal recommendations, but I've heard good things about

The Wormery (Six/Iris Wildthyme)
Scherzo (Eight/Charley)
The Harvest (Seven/Ace/Hex)
The Roof of the World (Five/Peri)
Faith Stealer (Eight/Charley/C'rizz)
The Council of Nicaea (Five/Peri)
Live 34 (Seven/Ace/Hex)
The Kingmaker (Five/Peri)
The Settling (Seven/Ace/Hex)
Son of the Dragon (Five/Peri)

If/when they put the next fifty on sale, I'll have some things to say about A Death in the Family, which is probably up there with Chimes of Midnight as one of the best I've ever heard.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:58 am

A very press-releasey press release announces some kind of cross-media thing called Time Lord Victorious.

Time Lord Victorious will be set within the Dark Times at the start of the universe, when even the Eternals were young. It features the Eighth, Ninth and Tenth Doctors, travelling across Space and Time as they defend the universe from a terrible race.

As well as three Doctors, companion Rose Tyler and monsters including the Daleks and the Ood will feature, plus more to be revealed over the coming months as products are announced.

Partners involved in the project include Penguin Random House, BBC Books, Doctor Who Magazine, Titan Comics, Escape Hunt, Big Finish and Immersive Everywhere.

Makes sense -- TV production ain't happening, so might as well do something with books, comics, and radio.

As to whether it'll be any good? Well, I've read a lot of damn comic book crossover events in my time, and my general opinion of them ain't great. You can tell a good story as part of an event, but I usually find it's best to focus on a small corner of the action and tell a complete story in that corner that works even out of context. (Squirrel Girl and Ratatoskr liberating Canada from frost giants; the Scavengers coming to Earth during the big GI Joe/Transformers Revolution storyline.) Maybe we'll get some good stories out of this, and maybe we won't.

Nine's prominence in the story is interesting; of course we can reasonably assume Eccleston won't be involved (if the dude won't even show up for a charity video...). Of course writers can still use him in comics, prose fiction, and audiobooks without Eccleston's participation, but the Big Finish/BBC Radio part is a question mark. Maybe a Companion Chronicles entry narrated by Billie Piper. Jacob Dudman has already done "Doctor Chronicles" and "Short Trips" featuring Nine, Ten, Eleven, and Twelve, so I could see him doing more, but notably those are all audiobook format; they've never actually had him play any incarnation of the Doctor in a full-cast radio play.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon May 04, 2020 5:10 pm

Big Finish freebie: Jenny - The Doctor's Daughter: Stolen Goods

Also, they streamed this a few hours ago and it's still up. Not sure for how long.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:08 am

KyleYoung

Postby KyleYoung » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:21 am

The opening has elements of Douglas Adams :)