What's on Netflix?

Healy

What's on Netflix?

Postby Healy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:25 pm

I figured we could use a few more threads around here. Let's kick things off with a Netflix streaming recommendations thread!

So far on Netflix I've watched the first two episodes of Batman: Beyond, and man is it ever great. It's got me on a bit of a superhero kick, so I checked out a couple Batman: Brave and the Bold episodes as well. Any other good superhero flicks/shows I should watch? It doesn't have to be Big Two; in fact I'd actually prefer to watch something from off the beaten track. Also, dang is that show 90's as sin. It's gotten me in the mood for other sweet 90's junk. Any of that on Netflix? Last request: What are some neat/cool cartoons that I could be watching?

So that's:
  1. Superheroes
  2. 90's junk
  3. Neat and cool cartoons
I feel like that covers everything I wanna watch pretty well.

(Feel free to ask for recommendations on other streaming services, whatever they may be)

Thad

Re: What's on Netflix?

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:53 pm

They've got a pretty healthy supply of MST3K. I caught Gamera the other day, which is a classic episode but probably more memorable for the film than the riffs or any of the host segments that don't involve Kevin Murphy singing. (We could probably start a separate MST3K/Rifftrax thread again for more recommendations; I'm sure everybody's got their favorites.)

As far as cartoons, I just noticed they have The Rabbi's Cat the other day; I haven't seen it yet but I'm looking forward to it. (It's an adaptation of a French comic, which I also haven't read. But I read Klezmer, by the same cartoonist, Joann Sfar, and thoroughly enjoyed it.) And it looks like they've got Venture Bros, and if you haven't watched Venture Bros, man, you should watch Venture Bros. And they've also got Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated, which is pretty much what you get when you take the entire 40-year history of Scooby-Doo and only keep the good parts.

As for the '90's, X-Files is one of the defining shows of the decade, and it ranged from fucking amazing to fucking terrible. I'm guessing, given that you're part of this crowd, that you've caught it before, but I've definitely enjoyed going back and watching season 1.

Lastly, for '90's cartoons: they've got Sonic the Hedgehog and Beast Wars, which are probably my favorite 1990's cartoons not to have Bruce Timm's name in the credits.

(Sonic the Hedgehog is the good one. Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog is the sillier one. Which still might be fun.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:25 am

I watched it pretty heavily right during the period where it started to take off, up through the point where MST3K got moved to Sunday nights and I had to pick one. Didn't catch much of the earlier or late stuff, but from what I've seen, the late episodes weren't as bad as people said at the time and the early episodes were kind of all over the place but really did hold a lot of promise and have an immense impact on a lot of shows that followed.

The highlights of season one are probably the ones with Tooms, although the early conspiracy stuff and the introduction of characters like Skinner, the Cigarette Smoking Man, Deep Throat, and the Lone Gunmen are all pretty great too. The conspiracy arc really felt like it was going to pay off back then; over time it became clear they were just making it up as they went along and never really had any kind of grand plan. The end result of which is that I tend to like the offbeat one-off episodes a lot more than the lore-building ones.

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:39 pm

Granted, it's not exactly what you're looking for but it's still going: I think Justice League and Justice League Unlimited are still on Netflix? Under the Red Hood should still be there as well, and that's really good.

ocksi

Postby ocksi » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:36 pm

The Hellboy animated movies are pretty good. It looks like only the second, weaker one is available at the moment, but it's not a bad hour if you like Ron Perlman playing Hellboy.

Healy

Postby Healy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:33 am

Thad wrote:
Healy wrote:Huh, I never really got into the X-Files. In my defense, I was way too young for it and a pretty big wuss to boot. I watched the pilot today, and it was pretty good. One question, though: Are there any episodes in the first season I should skip?

I dunno about "should" but season 1's episodic as fuck and there are plenty you CAN skip. It's been about a year, but after thumbing through Monster of the Week I'd say episodes 4-9, 11, 12, 14-16, 18-20, 22, and 23 are pretty inconsequential, and that's as far as I got into season 1.

I kinda like most of them in one way or another, though. Even the bad ones tend to be pretty fun, this early in the series. (That doesn't always hold later on down the line.)

Thanks, I was just making sure there weren't any blatantly bad episodes in the first season. I think I'll go through the series at one episode a day, and maybe take a break for a bit after I finish season one.

ALSO: I watched the first two episodes of Ultimate Spider-Man today. I liked the first one, but the second bugged me for reasons I can't fully articulate. Uh, I guess the banter with the super team bugged me? Anyway, will future episodes be more like the first or second episode?

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:31 am

Without remembering them specifically, I'm inclined to say Second.

Most people don't seem to like USM. It's definitely kiddier than earlier incarnations (notably its predecessor, The Spectacular Spider-Man, which is hands-down the best TV show Marvel has ever done). It seems to be Marvel's attempt to do Batman: The Brave and the Bold -- a lighthearted teamup show -- but it's not as good.

I still like it. It's chock-full of references to some of the more fun, sillier, and more obscure bits of Marvel history; there's a whole episode devoted to Frog Thor and obscure characters like Doop have put in cameos. But it's not deep or mature.

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:11 pm

FLUKEMAN FOREVER

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:18 pm

Terminal Invasion was a nice fun thingalike movie. Plus, Bruce Campbell.

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:21 pm

Thad wrote:Beast Wars

That reminds me, is War Planets available on Netflix? If it is you should watch it.
For the White Witch!

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:10 pm

Second season of House of Cards is up on Netflix and it's just as good as the first.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:37 am

Star Wars: The Clone Wars is fun to watch, but every time they try to make General Grievance Bebop to the droids' Rocksteady I think of what could have been.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:14 pm

God, you cannot imagine what it was like to see this on TV, and gain a tiny sliver of hope for Ep. III, just so Lucas could once again fucking crush it.

Tartakovsky Grievous is the only Grievous in my heart.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:21 pm

Oh, that music...

Now I need to watch Jack Versus the Ultra-Robots again.

Healy

Postby Healy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:59 pm

So hey, I got some streaming recommendations for you guys! First off, on alternate universe Netflix, Amazon Prime, they got the whole of Batman, and Superman, the Collective Animated Serieses for free streaming with an Amazon Prime account! If you got an account there, why aren't you watching these, they're very good.

Next up, on actual Netflix, if you're stuck babysitting some kids for a while and need to kill an hour and change, there are certainly worse options than Unstable Fables: Three Pigs and a Baby. Decent take on the Fractured Fairy Tales concept, fairly inoffensive, hangs together really well despite not making much sense in the particulars, and it's a nice story about adoption too. Plus there are relatively few jokes which just riff off of some pop culture thing, which is always nice.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:21 pm

Hey, Season 4 of Archer. Fancy meetin' you here.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:27 am

Remember the other day when I was listing off some of the many superhero TV shows that are better than SHIELD?

I submit Chuck.

Oh sure, it's not billed as a superhero show. But it's about a regular, nerdy guy who gains a superpower through happenstance and then has to juggle unexpected action and intrigue with a boring home life and an everyday job at a workplace full of colorful characters. Sounds an awful lot like Spider-Man to me.

Hell, it's even got a character named Captain Awesome and an actor who's played Superman (Adam Baldwin, TV's Jayne Cobb). It's got at least as many superheroes as SHIELD, and more likeable characters (by which I mean "some").

I submit that Chuck is not only a superhero TV show, it's as good an example of the Marvel formula as you'll see on TV.

sei

Postby sei » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:46 am

House of Cards is fantastic.

Louie (as in CK) is on Netflix too.

ocksi

Postby ocksi » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:54 pm

House of Cards is made well, but it's awful.

I hate shows that make a villain the protagonist and then remove all good guys.