Let's all go to the movies~

Niku

Re: Let's all go to the movies~

Postby Niku » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Mongrel wrote:Wait... weren't there already two mediocre Hellboy movies?

nope only good ones

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:30 pm

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was making people think the Hellboy movies were at least "solid to pretty good"

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:26 pm

Finally saw Venom and kind of loved it???

Tom Hardy's version of Eddie Brock is batshit and weird as hell and it's great. He really does make that movie way better than it could've been.

Also uh there is now a Venom theme song for the end credits that Eminem did and it's like the greatest thing??

Literally anything Sony might've done to try to reel in any of the weirdness of this movie was to the determent of us all. They need to let the sequel be like an R-rated clownshow and not control any part of it, because that's when this movie's at its best

At one point he just like eats a lobster whole as Eddie, then eats a few guys brains as Venom. It's good stuff.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:03 pm

Holy crap that song is tight.

mharr

Postby mharr » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:32 pm

Seriously tho why does every human symbiosis look kinda like Spider Man?

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:41 pm

Eminem is such a good son. He used Dr. Dre's name to gain recognition early on, but now he still uses it a decade past anyone who listens to him knowing who that is.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:54 pm

beatbandito wrote:Eminem is such a good son. He used Dr. Dre's name to gain recognition early on, but now he still uses it a decade past anyone who listens to him knowing who that is.

I loved the way the bus driver grinned when he delivered that shout-out.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:34 am

beatbandito wrote:Eminem is such a good son. He used Dr. Dre's name to gain recognition early on, but now he still uses it a decade past anyone who listens to him knowing who that is.

He's the headphones guy, right?

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:44 am

mharr wrote:Seriously tho why does every human symbiosis look kinda like Spider Man?

Because the Venom symbiote was originally found by Spider-Man in the world made of pieces from other alien worlds during the original Secret Wars. For quite a while it just let itself be worn as a black version of Spider-Man's outfit, but eventually Peter realized it was affecting him mentally and he drove it away by butting heads with a church bell or something. The alien then bound itself to a loser that hated Peter Parker called Eddie Brock, but kept the spider motif.

Carnage looks like Venom because Carnage is Venom's offspring.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:16 am

Thad wrote:

He's the headphones guy, right?

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:07 am

zaratustra wrote:
mharr wrote:Seriously tho why does every human symbiosis look kinda like Spider Man?

Because the Venom symbiote was originally found by Spider-Man in the world made of pieces from other alien worlds during the original Secret Wars. For quite a while it just let itself be worn as a black version of Spider-Man's outfit, but eventually Peter realized it was affecting him mentally and he drove it away by butting heads with a church bell or something. The alien then bound itself to a loser that hated Peter Parker called Eddie Brock, but kept the spider motif.

Yes, but why do they all look like Spider-Man *in the Venom movie*, where none of that stuff happens?

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:51 am

They don't. They look like Symbiotes do when bonded to humans. Because there isn't a Spider-Man for them to weirdly resemble.

Might as well ask that new Man in Black looks so much like Valkyrie in a suit.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:14 am

I'm just going to assume that all Sony movies take place in unrelated subdimensions of the spider-verse, Hotel Transylvania included.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:25 am

TA wrote:They don't. They look like Symbiotes do when bonded to humans. Because there isn't a Spider-Man for them to weirdly resemble.

Might as well ask that new Man in Black looks so much like Valkyrie in a suit.

If Tessa Thompson shows up in Men in Black and is dressed in a Valkyrie costume, then I am DEFINITELY going to ask why she looks like Valkyrie in a movie that doesn't have Valkyrie in it.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:11 am

...the more I think about it, though, the more I love the idea that the Venom symbiote is just an actor, and you could cast him in, like, the next Jurassic Park movie or Law and Order spinoff or whatever.

"He doesn't look like Spider-Man, he looks like WILLY LOMAN! Spider-Man doesn't exist in Death of a Salesman!" *Willy eats Biff*

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:01 am

If I didn't already know that Venom is supposed to be Edgelord Spider-Man then I probably wouldn't think "Oh, Edgelord Spider-Man" from what I've seen of the Venom movie. It's just an oily CG monster with weird semen eyes.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:03 pm

I have just returned from an M Night Shyamalanathon featuring Unbreakable, Split, and Glass. It was an exercise in diminishing returns.

I like Unbreakable more every time I see it. It is a great damn movie. I can come up with a few quibbles -- Shyamalan's cameo seems pointless, and the comic book art that's supposed to be from the '60s and '70s is clearly from the '90s -- but I've come to really appreciate the film's slow burn and even its relatively anticlimactic third act. And I notice new details every time, too -- like how purple is mostly a villain color in comics (Joker, Luthor, Magneto, Green Goblin, Kang, Batroc -- occasionally you'll get a hero like Batgirl wearing purple, or an antihero like the Hulk, but the overwhelming majority of costumes with purple in them are villains'). Or how right before the reveal, there's a book right next to Elijah's head that says something like "Ulterior Motives". (There's also a copy of The Illuminatus! Trilogy. Between that and Kevin's 23 personalities, I think it's safe to say Night's a fan.)

I'd never seen Split before. I can't say I liked it, but I respected the craft. McAvoy put in a fantastic performance, and the cinematography was good too. As for the script...well, for starters, it's not a genre I particularly care for in the first place, but on top of that it fell into a lot of tropes I don't really like: mental illness as a supernatural power; child abuse as an origin story; sexualized violence involving underaged characters (the actresses who play the three kidnapped girls are all in their twenties, but the girls are supposed to be high schoolers).

Glass...had its moments. McAvoy continues to be fantastic; so is Jackson, once he finally starts doing stuff, which happens far too late in the movie. Bruce Willis is Bruce Willis.

I like that they opted to go a low-budget route; it feels a bit like Deadpool 2 in that it's a movie that could have gotten a bigger budget behind it but the team made a conscious choice to stick with the cheaper aesthetics of its predecessor. It teases a big action setpiece -- but then, like Deadpool 2, its climax occurs in a parking lot.

On the downside...there's just nothing new here. Unbreakable was an extremely savvy deconstruction of superhero tropes. This one doesn't have anything original to say about them, but it thinks it does. (There's a bit at the end where a character says "The comic books are wrong. It's not like [x]. It's actually [y]." where "y" is in fact a thing that happens in comic books all the damn time, as well as being the plot of several recent high-profile superhero movies.) If you've read any comic that takes place in Arkham Asylum, you pretty much know the plot of this movie. The third-act twists are obvious; if you've seen Split, you've probably already figured one of them out.

All in all...eh. It's not terrible. It's not great. On the whole I'd say you're better off just watching Unbreakable again.

Niku

Postby Niku » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:52 am

Speed Racer is still the best Hollywood anime adaptation.

But I care a fuck ton more about Gunnm, and Battle Angel comes goddamn close to being as good. The series is frankly never better than its first two volumes (and the more I read of Last Order, the more I appreciated the “fake” ending to the series honestly) and their mash-up of every single sci-fi trope Kishiro was inspired by, and while there’s a lot of good stuff as the series goes on those first story arcs are where it’s at.

And the movie adapts them near goddamn perfectly. Adapts, importantly. It is not slavishly beholden to the manga or the OAV; it rolls its own way with certain plot beats in ways that streamline and inform the version of the story they’re telling. And more than that, it’s Rodriguez understanding an artist’s art all over again in the vein of Sin City. Instead of capturing the specific look of Gunnm here though (and yeah I still don’t love the giant cgi eyes but I got used to them quick) he captures the specific kinetic movement that Kishiro draws.

Gunnm is the first comic I remember slowing down and poring over panels for — genuinely following the action of how one attack lead to the next, instead of a jumble of unrelatedly cool drawings of Stuff Happening. I felt that in the action sequences here. The bar fight is probably my favorite part of the movie for exactly that reason. They change plot points here and there, and bring in wholesale some of the weaker elements of the source material (though Alita crushing insanely hard on Hugo makes a lot more sense when it happens on basically her first day of existence), but this movie captures the soul of the work in a way I never expected and wouldn’t have dared to hope for.

And possibly most importantly: the robot dogs are in it.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:13 am

Actual most importantly:

How much rocket hammer?

Is Hugo still snatching spines, or was it whitewashed?

Niku

Postby Niku » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:52 am

beatbandito wrote:Actual most importantly:

How much rocket hammer?

Is Hugo still snatching spines, or was it whitewashed?

all the rocket hammer. the rocket hammer is VERY good.

it was toned down slightly; now they're "body jackers" and just strip cyborgs of all their parts and limbs while leaving their brain/spine/core intact.