nosimpleway

Re: Let's all go to the movies~

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:50 pm

movie 2/10

beholder eyestalks 0/10

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:48 pm

A female barbarian named Holga is the part Michelle Rodriguez was born to play.

Well, maybe not. But it certainly is basically the culmination of her career.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:00 pm

Also I really liked high level NPC Paladin Xenk Yandar showing up because the party was too shitty to get anything done so the DM sent a level 20 dude to get the party back on track to do the main quest and then had him say "no i can't help you with the rest because this is your quest" and just leave

very true to the actual DnD experience

double bonus points that the fucking helm ended up being entirely fucking useless
ImageImageImage

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:36 pm

The only way it could be truer to D&D is for one of the main cast to die horribly but the next town over the party meets a new character to join up, played by the same actor.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:05 am

nosimpleway wrote:The only way it could be truer to D&D is for one of the main cast to die horribly but the next town over the party meets a new character to join up, played by the same actor.

You're thinking of Beerfest.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:30 am

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:54 am

Niku wrote:There has been a marked rise in beautiful stylization in CGI animated movies making things look more and more unique and interesting that can almost directly be pointed back to just how hard Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse went.

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse so thoroughly stunts on absolutely everything that has come before and since that it's barely even fair. I have never seen an animated movie like this. The movie itself could be complete shit and I would still whole-heartedly recommend seeing it on the best screen you can, but thankfully, it is as heart-felt and wonderful as the first one. If you aren't hooting and hollering by the time the first villain encounter happens in the first few minutes of the movie I want to know what cold, dead creature has gripped your heart.

And fellas, cameo spoiler: when Josh Keaton spoke, my heart grew three sizes this day. They remembered my boy.

Saw Spider-Verse 2 at the drive-in last night. Cannot agree with Niku hard enough.

If it didn't end on a To Be Continued, this would be to Spider-Verse 1 what Spider-Verse 1 was to every comic book movie that came before. My only complaint with is that it's not four hours long.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:52 am

Marvel's Eternals is an interesting movie for the following reasons:
1) it is impossible to tell any of the white male actors apart.
2) english, and UK accents, are both older than humanity itself.
3) the heroes learn that they've been lied to, they have more in common with their life-long enemy than they realize, and that enemy goes from mindless beast to sentient and helping the heroes in their final fight. They respond by killing it and agreeing that genocide still has to happen.

Spoilers I guess, but it's a bad movie and the twist is pretty obvious from the first action scene.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:25 pm

I think my favorite part was where one of the characters dramatically states that another one "gave up on mankind long ago", cue footage of the atomic bomb (which kinda seems like something beings who are thousands of years old would not describe as "long ago"), and then they go to recruit him and he's like "Nah, I'm over that, mankind and I are cool now, here's my human husband."

I feel like Eternals maybe could have worked, or at least made some kind of sense, if it had been a series instead of a movie. But even then it would have committed the cardinal sin of being the first movie ever "based on the comic by Jack Kirby" (solo credit, not Lee/Kirby, Simon/Kirby, etc.) and making no effort whatsoever to resemble the work of Jack Kirby in any way, shape, or form.

Somehow, the best Jack Kirby movie is still Masters of the Universe.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:52 am

(yes I know it's not really an adaptation of Jack Kirby's Eternals, it's more of an adaptation of the Gaiman/RoJu miniseries from 2006, but it sucks as an adaptation of that, too)

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:14 pm

Oppenheimer (2023) fucking delivers
signature

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:51 am

KingRoyal wrote:fucking delivers

really? pre-release press lead me to believe it was the other way around

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:51 am

That press over emphasized how much of the running time was given to nudity

And just so all the perverts and sickos on here can make a proper, informed decision, you don't get to see Cillian's Murphy or Florence's Pughbes
signature

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:28 pm

I'd heard so many things about Buffalo '66 (1998) by Vincent Gallo that I was excited going in, and it's one of those films that definitely lives up to his status. It's about a man named Billy Brown (Gallo) who gets released from prison and kidnaps a lonely tap dancer named Layla (Christina Ricci) and convinces(?) her to act as his wife to impress her parents (Angelica Huston and Ben Gazzara).

The film covers Billy's day after he gets out of prison, kidnaps Layla, meets with his family and where he goes from there, but really it's about lonely, damaged people in the late 90s in a run down town. There are some breathtaking moments, such as a beat about 50 minutes in when Christina Ricci does a tap dance in a bowling, that really makes these people feel human and real in a kind of heightened reality that feels more real than real

Also, I've been doing a rewatch of Futarama lately and I'll be damned if Fry's mother isn't based upon Angelica Huston in this film.

signature

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:45 pm

Niku wrote:godzilla vs kong is as good as it is stupid

and it's reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal stupid

so I just saw this for the first time 30 minutes ago, and spent the last 30 minutes trolling through this thread backwards because I knew 100% that Niku would have posted something about it here, and I would 100% agree with whatever he had posted

anyway thanks Niku

so what was your favorite part and why was it when Kong stuffs his axe in Godzilla's mouth right when he's about to use Atomic Breath ala the 1963 fight scene where Kong does the same thing with a tree
ImageImageImage

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:13 am

Watched Sword of the Stranger and it fucking kicked ass, very recommended.

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:56 am

Friday wrote:so what was your favorite part

almost but they then they had to include the close-up of godzilla laughing like a motherfucker at shooting munkee

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:47 am

The Day the Earth Stood Still is a movie about how reckless authority figures with guns (or more advanced weaponry) make terrible decisions in the heat of the moment.

It ends with a monologue about how cops are great and we should trust them.

I...kinda feel like they added that last part to the script to placate the censors so they wouldn't notice all the other stuff in the movie that's, like, the exact opposite of that message. It's kinda like watching an old Star Trek and there's some allegorical conflict and they bothsides the hell out of it but it's pretty obvious which side you're supposed to sympathize with.