Let's all go to the movies~

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Let's all go to the movies~

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:27 pm

I am honestly surprised at the lack of Guardians 2.

Right now I'd say it's my #1, though to be fair, I've only seen about half the MCU movies, maybe less.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:35 pm

Like I said, tastes really vary when it comes to the MCU. At least when you ask people about their favorites and least favorites.
ImageImageImage

Rico

Postby Rico » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:31 am

I liked Guardians 2, but too many of the jokes felt like overly wink-and-elbow Guardians 1 callbacks to me. Thor 3 definitely felt like it was trying too hard to be funny a few times, but not as much as G2, plus as comic-y as it was, the G2 final battle being so punchy instead of more creative combat was a wasted opportunity.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:42 am

I don't rate GotG 2 because of the jokes or any sheer sense of fun (though those are important), and it's not perfect - as you said more could have been done with the boss battle, but it has an emotional core to it that is I think stronger than anything else I've seen in the MCU and some of the most fully realized and human characters in any of the MCU movies.

Niku

Postby Niku » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:52 am

friday's top five is pretttttty fucking close if not identical to mine. i might swap the first cap for gotg; i loved gotg, both of them, but i'm in the minority of folks who don't think they're quite as good as their reputation it feels like, and also gay for joe johnston (seriously half the reason i love cap1 so much is how good it feels to get another good-boy-superhero war tale from the rocketeer director).

yondu is the indisputable mvp of gotg2 and if michael rooker wasn't doing WORK i would not love that movie half as much as i did, because honestly a lot of the mid-section peter / gamora / planetside stuff fell pretty flat to me and the pixels-esque bit in the climax is one of the few times i REALLY goddamn groaned over something in a film in recent memory, during an action setpiece that as rico points out wasn't even as good as it could have been in the first place

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:05 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:22 pm

Surprising no one who's heard of what happened to Suicide Squad, the post-directorial too-many-cooks mishmash that is Justice League apparently has a few good parts among quite a lot of bad and is pretty obviously another flop for DC. As a friend quipped, "The movies will continue until morale improves".

However, this popped up this morning:

And you know, even if she's just joking, I'd watch the hell out of that 'cause I think she could really pull it off!

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:21 am

I still haven't seen Batman v Superman yet (I said "I'll wait for the Rifftrax" and I meant it; it's due out on the 1st). Figure I'll catch Justice League after that.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:55 pm

Every Frame a Painting announced that they’re through. It’s not a surprise, since they haven’t done a video in some time. But their goodbye essay is pretty interesting.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:56 pm

I gotta know how bad Justice League is

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:54 pm

Uncanny Valley Of The Dolls

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:06 pm

Man, it hasn't even been 5 years since the last time we tried retelling that story.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:33 pm

Wow, it's finally happening. Been hearing about this for like 15 years.

Destynova

Postby Destynova » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:41 am

Too bad Christopher Lloyd is too old to play Desty Nova.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:49 am

I can't fucking BELIEVE they licensed an original song from Sons of Anarchy for the trailer. Holy shit that's hilarious.

That said, goof-ass anime eyes aside, everything about this is aesthetic as fuck and I'm deeply into it. I loved that manga.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:20 pm

Okay, so you may never have heard of this, but among the many, many schlocky scifi book series of the 70's and 80's there was one called Traction Wars, where in a post-apocalyptic future, giant mobile cities roam the earth... eating one another.

Well, they're making a major studio movie about it, produced by Peter Jackson, coming out next year:

I only knew the series even existed because a friend of mine is a huge fan and of all the nerds I've met in my life, he's the only one I know who's EVER seemed to have heard of it. I asked him "How much did you personally pay to Peter Jackson to make this happen?"

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:26 pm

Tommy Wiseau, livin' the dream!

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:35 am

I finally got around to watching Batman Veeee Superman (as I said I would, I waited for the Rifftrax; it is pretty good!).

This movie is...as bad as everybody said. It is perplexing. It takes a long time and a lot of work to make a movie, and I do not understand how nobody stopped at any of the various points from first draft to release and noticed that this movie sucks.

What's good about it: I like absolutely everybody in the cast. And Zack Snyder makes visually interesting films, despite his fetish for washed-out colors.

And that's pretty much it. The script is bad. David Goyer clearly does not get Superman at all. Given that he wrote three Batman movies that averaged out to be pretty good, I have to assume he does get Batman, but that is not at all evident in this movie.

The plot makes no sense. The characters' motivations make no sense. Nothing seems to happen for any reason except "This is how it happened in Dark Knight Returns" and "This is how it happened in The Death of Superman." I hope Jerry Ordway got a good paycheck for this movie. I mean, Frank Miller deserves an even bigger paycheck, but Jerry Ordway needs it more than Frank Miller does.

My biggest complaint about the Wonder Woman movie was that the framing device where Batman sends Wonder Woman a photo of herself from WWI is totally unnecessary "Where's Batman?" stuff. That was when I hadn't seen Batman v Superman. Now that I have seen Batman v Superman and know that Batman already sent Wonder Woman that photo in a previous movie, it is even more baffling and unnecessary.

My second-biggest complaint about the Wonder Woman movie was that its third act is cribbed directly from Captain America: The First Avenger. That was when I hadn't seen Batman v Superman. Now that I have seen Batman v Superman, I know that the third act is cribbed directly from Captain America: The First Avenger and also from Batman v Superman.

Batman v Superman is as bad as everybody says. It fails on very nearly every level (though, again, it's got a good cast and some interesting visuals, so it's not a complete loss, just an almost-complete loss). It is so bad that its badness has apparently rippled through to devastate Justice League's gross, even though Justice League is, by all accounts, a pretty-okay movie. (I haven't seen it yet. I hear Flash and Aquaman are pretty good.)

This movie represents everything that is wrong with the superhero genre in general and DC in particular. I remarked, on seeing Man of Steel, that it was a Superman movie by people who don't like Superman, for people who don't like Superman. Batman v Superman is all that without the coherence, focus, or clarity.

There are elements of the DCEU that are salvageable. Wonder Woman was pretty good, despite its Third Act Problems. Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn definitely deserves another chance in a better movie than Suicide Squad. But Jesus, I am baffled at how the whole mess was allowed to get this far.

I would rather watch Batman and Robin or Green Lantern. I mean that sincerely. At least those movies had some laughs.

The best thing about Batman veee Superman is that it reminded me that Scooby-Doo & Batman: The Brave and the Bold is coming out next week. I bet that's gonna be awesome.

Also the Rifftrax is pretty good. It has 13 different riffers!

And my nephew likes Batman v Superman. My wife says she doesn't understand how he sat through the whole thing. I told her that he doesn't understand it is bad or boring, because it has Batman and Superman in it, and that I know just what that's like because when I was his age my favorite movie was Masters of the Universe, which I did not understand was bad or boring because it had He-Man and Skeletor in it. And I still love Masters of the Universe, mostly unironically. So Batman v Superman has that going for it, too: these characters are so universally beloved that kids love watching anything they're in, and don't even notice when it sucks.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:19 am

I saw The Last Jedi last night and the main takeaway was that I felt the pacing was ruined by its full metal alchemist / trigun habit of making dumb jokes the bread to sandwich any scene that might have otherwise been remotely dramatic.

But then we left the theater and my mom said she didn't expect to like it but enjoyed all the jokes.

Bal

Postby Bal » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:51 pm

I am a huge fan of the original Blade Runner. I would watch ten hours of just establishing shots from that movie, and I was DEEPLY wary of the idea of a sequel, but they did a damn good job. It's sufficiently Blade Runner to be worth calling that, and sufficiently it's own thing to justify itself as a sequel. There are some things I could quibble about here and there, but basically it's awesome.