Let's all go to the movies~

Thad

Re: Let's all go to the movies~

Postby Thad » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:41 pm

nosimpleway wrote:could

could they not get licensing for that song Aqua did

I mean I know Mattel's got different management now than when it sued them, but I feel like that might be the kind of thing people would hold a grudge over.

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:52 am

you don't waste that shit on the trailer!

Destynova

Postby Destynova » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:32 pm

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Tue May 02, 2023 3:39 pm

signature

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue May 02, 2023 4:44 pm

Was... was that a riff from the Sesame Street theme I heard in there?!

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed May 03, 2023 10:25 am

they say you can't capture lightning in a bottle, but they never said shit about dynamite

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed May 03, 2023 2:04 pm

The Super Mario Bros. Movie is a kids movie in the bad, direct-to-home-video way. There is no real creative essence or thought put in to the story. There are a series of connected scenes and events that do a good job of showing off the currently active Mario catalogue, and get a little blurry in the older series lore stuff. The soundtrack was selected from the highest budget songs the studio already owned.

The models and textures are really interesting and well designed. Bowser's whole thing for the first three acts is pretty fun, or at least interesting. There are three plumbing issues they show off and all of are taps that have leaks that are solved by downstream, pressurized, drain lines. It made me furious.

If you have to watch a movie with a kid it's not a bad choice. But I don't think there's really anything for a superfan to find in it that wasn't used on the fake website and ad trailer.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu May 04, 2023 11:38 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri May 05, 2023 12:08 am

House Ordos, it's your time to shine!

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Sun May 21, 2023 9:34 pm

Fast X (2023) upholds the standards of the Fast and the Furious franchise
signature

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:58 pm

There has been a marked rise in beautiful stylization in CGI animated movies making things look more and more unique and interesting that can almost directly be pointed back to just how hard Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse went.

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse so thoroughly stunts on absolutely everything that has come before and since that it's barely even fair. I have never seen an animated movie like this. The movie itself could be complete shit and I would still whole-heartedly recommend seeing it on the best screen you can, but thankfully, it is as heart-felt and wonderful as the first one. If you aren't hooting and hollering by the time the first villain encounter happens in the first few minutes of the movie I want to know what cold, dead creature has gripped your heart.

And fellas, cameo spoiler: when Josh Keaton spoke, my heart grew three sizes this day. They remembered my boy.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:29 pm

The movie itself could be complete shit and I would still whole-heartedly recommend seeing it on the best screen you can,

I sort of gave this rec to other people when Avatar: The Last Dances with Ferngully Space Marines came out, because I thought it was visually interesting. I don't anymore, for the record.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:30 pm

also fuck that movie for making the space marines the bad guys

I know I know in real life and even 40k the space marines are bad but come on let me have just one thing okay
ImageImageImage

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:16 am

Friday wrote:also fuck that movie for making the space marines the bad guys

I know I know in real life and even 40k the space marines are bad but come on let me have just one thing okay

At least StarCraft has your back
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:53 am

Friday wrote:
The movie itself could be complete shit and I would still whole-heartedly recommend seeing it on the best screen you can,

I sort of gave this rec to other people when Avatar: The Last Dances with Ferngully Space Marines came out, because I thought it was visually interesting. I don't anymore, for the record.

yeah i saw that one in 3-D imax and i still have a positive feeling overall about that experience even if i have never, ever felt compelled to rewatch the movie (until extremely recently because i am at least curious enough to watch the sequel on a day where i'm bored and i probably need a refresh on how cool stephen lang is)

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:04 pm

That's about how I feel about it. It was an incredible tech demo.

I didn't see the sequel, but that was more about being reluctant to go to a movie theater than not being at least a little interested in seeing what happens when Cameron combines his love of cutting-edge CG with his love of oceans. I bet it would have been pretty fucking cool in 3D IMAX.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:40 am

Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves is Guardians of the Galaxy: Fantasy Edition.

Which is great!

It's got Marvel quip all over it, so if you're so sick of that that the mere mention of it causes you to violently vomit, shit, and piss at the same time while also closing the thread and feeling anger so bright that your molecules fuse together causing a nuclear fusion reaction and an energy to be released that obliterates all structures, life, and non-organic matter in a seventeen mile radius and releases a cloud of radioactive decay that blows around for decades giving everyone it touches cancer if not outright radiation poisoning, maybe skip the movie.

Otherwise, it's a very enjoyable romp for DnD enjoyers and anyone who just likes a bunch of silly fun stuff with some serious stuff thrown in to have stakes. Seriously, Guardians of the Galaxy but Fantasy skinned.

Also, it has a blink and you miss it cameo from all the original voice actors from the 1983 Dungeons and Dragons cartoon dressed up as the characters they originally voiced, so, 10 out of 10, best movie ever made.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:20 am

Friday wrote:Also, it has a blink and you miss it cameo from all the original voice actors from the 1983 Dungeons and Dragons cartoon dressed up as the characters they originally voiced, so, 10 out of 10, best movie ever made.

Okay, that's cute. That's how you do a cameo.

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:19 pm

It wasn't the original voice actors, but it was the 80s D&D cartoon party getting a cameo.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:54 pm

oh i totally misread the wikipedia

i guess i have to downgrade this movie to a 2/10 because it did not have a beholder in it
ImageImageImage