Noise We Enjoys

beatbandito

Re: Noise We Enjoys

Postby beatbandito » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:33 pm

Choo Choo, here comes the new page!

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:19 am

I honestly can't tell if I like the song or just really like the video for this one.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:33 am

Apparently Lady's Gaga's new schtick is, bizarrely enough, bland normality.

Damn, that dame can sing.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:15 pm

I don't know why you would suspect otherwise.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:00 pm

It was a compliment, Buge. Hence a period instead of an exclamation mark. >:)

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:40 pm

Went to a Weird Al concert this weekend. It was as fantastic as you'd expect, and there were a lot of nice touches. He did 'Fat', 'Smells Like Nirvana', 'Perform This Way', 'Dare to be Stupid', and 'The Saga Begins'/'Yoda' in costume - complete with back-up people dressed up as Vader and six Stormtroopers, plus an animatronic R2D2. Reportedly he tries to recruit local 501st Legion people to be stormtroopers for the Star Wars songs, dunno if these were 501st but their choreography was really simple and one of 'em had some trouble keeping in sync. Also, the concert opened with 'Tacky' with him standing in the back of the truck for their instruments and sing/dancing his way into the theater, broadcast via camera on the screen behind him. It was also funny when he had the music videos for the polka medley, seeing just how much he had to speed them up to match the polka pace.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:59 pm

Always a class act.

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:28 pm

Mothra wrote:Always a class act.

For Wanna B Ur Lovr he got dressed up in a red/black tiger stripe suit and went up and down the aisles messing with audience members.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:40 am

Oh yeah, I've seen him a bunch of times; he puts on a hell of a show.

(Last time I saw him I wound up with tickets in the front row. Got some spit on me during the gargling bit of Smells Like Nirvana.)

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:09 pm

This type of music has been horribly abused as background dressing for saccharine commercials over the past few years, so how about a little credit for the original which is a nice pleasant little song.

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:45 pm

How about a jazzy cover song?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:51 pm

Pretty fun

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:14 pm

Hello and good afternoon! I would like to speak blather like a senseless idiot about a topic I imagine I know something about (but probably don't). Today I want to ask a question: Whatever happened to the protest song?

The protest song is really an amazing thing. A really proper one is like an anguished howl, one that comes from the lowest parts of the gut, one of the deepest possible expressions of music's emotional component. Most people think of protest songs in the vein of 60's anti-war music, and to be fair, that did produce some of the greatest protest sings of all time. In fact when you say "protest song" how many people's first thought is one of these two

perhaps set to a mental montage of US marines dropping off a Bell Huey into a clearing in a vietnamese jungle or the edge of a rice paddy. That's amazing when you think how clear that image is even now, decades after the war, to generations who in many cases weren't even alive at the time.

But the protest song stretches much further back. While some of songs from prior to recorded music don't survive (documented records of protest songs go back to at least the time of the French Revolution, few of any of these have been recorded), there are still a fair number of older songs and artists that do.

Reggae also gained a protest component during the late 60's and 70s' and provided protest songs another vehicle.

Still later, it could be argued punk took up the mantle to the point where arguably political expressions of protest became an intrinsic part of the genre.

Though, in my own opinion, while the rawness and rage are there, much of punk's political expression is is something that seems nihilistic (a common accusation in the 80's), but which is in fact almost a resigned hopelessness. We cant fix anything, we're screwed anyway, let's go break some skulls and get a little bit of our own back. They have limited goals and I'm not sure how much the music was expected to appeal to members outside the group (i.e. punks in this case).

As you can see the genre needn't necessarily be defined as anti-war or anti-violence. Economic protest or calls for equal rights could be just as visceral as anti-war protests, as could calls for social justice of all sorts (I admit to being particularly fond of Norman Whitfield's work with the Temptations).

In its most recent incarnation, Hip Hop took up where both punk and soul left off,

But even that's decades old now. So what happened? Where is the protest song now? Granted, I'm out of touch with more recent hip-hop, but it seems like the comparatively high levels of polish in even amateur modern music seems to run counter to the more direct and unpolished sounds that helps give most protest music its punch.

I want you guys to prove me wrong, to show me I'm senile and ignorant and out of touch, that good artists with real emotional range and reach are still writing protest songs. Does anyone know of any new artists with any real circulation and talent doing work like this? You'd think everything was all sunshine all the time, with everyone living in mansions and spewing nothing but candyfloss and roses outta their assholes with the apparent lack of protest music.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:39 pm

I think this might count pretty well (at least as far as the "emotional song about political issue")

(Obligatory plugging the Postmodern Jukebox cover 'cause PMJ is awesome and Morgan James kinda killed it on this song.)

I do think that pop music isn't gonna be where you find the modern protest songs, generally, since it's the overproduced candyfloss bullshit type of stuff. Protest song gets dangerously close to rocking the boat and not selling as well as possible if someone disagrees with it.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:41 pm

I'm not sure where that falls. Part of the protest song aesthetic incorporates a call to action by others, a call for justice, but Take Me To Church details a very personal angle of larger struggle. Which is not to say that doesn't count. Some of the songs listed above are absolutely on that pattern. The main problem I think is that it also simultaneously a romance/breakup song, which again doesn't mean it can't be a protest song, but does give it very different qualities from a conventional protest song.

It's possible you could argue that this song calls not so much for justice as understanding and answers. I'm not sure I would make that argument myself, but then I'm not sure how I feel about trying to categorize it as a protest song since there are valid arguments both for and against. Luckily music and art are not monoliths or picket-fenced gardens. There's room for blurred lines like this to exist without that being some kind of "problem".

No, I don't think pop is where you're going to find protest songs - it rarely has been - but pop is not the only genre of music!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:08 pm

These guys are, um... interesting.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:44 pm

The Folk Song of Protest seems to still be a very active tradition. This one's a few years old, but

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:02 pm

this is the hottest dance video in years, and for a song no one ever plays

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:02 am

Oh I get it. He's the "Beat Bandit"; for reals, not just as a rando' internet handle.

https://survive.bandcamp.com/track/hourglass

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:27 pm