Webcomics and

mharr

Re: Webcomics and

Postby mharr » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:30 am

I'm honestly not sure if this should be here or on Hot Takes or what, but... Jason Yungbluth still got that MAD era savagery.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:12 pm

Hitler was only Hitler because of a lifelong pattern of harassment by Houdini and Einstein, who were Jews. And Jake was involved.

So, yeah, Homestuck officially dead in the ground and cancelled forever. 2019 looking up so far!

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:27 pm

You can read the whole dump here

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T0f ... A/preview#

it reads like Hussie trying to ironically channel the spirit of a hobo screaming on a city corner

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:33 pm

I really liked this part.

And the part where a whole bunch of Native Americans are casually massacred in the space of two sentences and it's not even anything. Really ... really good.

Fuck Hussie and fuck this.

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:52 pm

Is there some kind of parasite you can contract from videogames that turns you into a Nazi somewhere in your late twenties? Like a dorky, less cool version of neurosyphilis?

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:54 pm

Is just fucking EVERYONE a Nazi in this day and age?

*anxiously looks in mirror, is somehow dressed in full SS uniform, screams in German*
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:54 pm

I mean ... before the thin veener of respectability he tried to slap on with Homestuck, and despite his best efforts to purge them from online, the old super-racist comics Hussie made back on drunkduck are still out there.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:22 pm

You could post them or give us some way to find them. Hussie was active on the internet a while before this whole mess.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:38 pm

Okay, sure. I don't wanna dig through the entire Team Special Olympics archive to find everything that's racist, but Hoopz!, NBA Dreams, Rollin Wit Lil' Cal, and Hey! Whatchoo Lookin' At? stand out.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:46 pm

Between the banality of those and the last several decades of his existence being pretty inoffensive in as far as problematic content, I'm going to go with my original hypothesis.

In easier terms to digest, none of those strike me as like, actual hateful racism. I don't know if I'm dead inside but they all read as just shock/edgy comedy you make when you're 14 years old and you specifically try to say things that make people angry. Much like my father.

Of course, ironic racism still endgames into racism, at which point we can look at the fact that in the 15+ years since he's made those, has he continued to make treatises on black people and welfare checks, or has he not done a thing since then, and maybe gotten better as a person, at which point you're a fuckin idiot for trying to say that people never change and we should all be held to standards and sins of the past with absolutely no room for growth, redemption, or re-education.

You fucking lunatic.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:47 pm

The original hypothesis being, as I said on Discord/IRC, "TA's a fucking idiot."

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:48 pm

Except, y'know, he has. Because he just posted a wildly anti-Semitic ARG.

I'm not saying he should be judged on the basis of something he posted ten years ago, I'm saying this isn't completely out of character and doesn't come out of nowhere.

And Hussie's existence since then has been far from "pretty inoffensive".

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:48 pm

Just gonna throw this in here as a long, well-documented trove of "no, he didn't learn his lesson since those old comics":

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:54 pm

FWIW, I think those are pretty WTF even by the standards of a 14-year-old making ridiculously racist comics, speaking as someone who once was a 14-year old who did in fact make comics using horrible racist stereotypes. There's a difference between ignorant and straight up hate, given that actual hate requires a specific mal-education in it.

I mean... there's not actually any story or really anything going on here (even by adolescent standards). Just a supposed one-liner joke which isn't even really a joke? These are pretty much just "HI, I'M A NIG- -" *laugh track*

That said, I'd also agree with Lyrai and hope that whatever kid had done these had gone on to learn better or to change their worldviews. Like, yeah, you give people a chance.

But it seems like Hussie is showing right now that he hasn't? "Hitler wouldn't have been Hitler if he hadn't been tormented by Jews" is, uh, kind of unambiguous. Even if, incredibly, it's somehow not the case that he's a full-on racist, there's a big difference between being an edgelord at 14 and being an edgelord at 40. Especially in a world where the most frequent defence offered by Nazis is that they're not Nazis, they're just edgelords.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:28 pm

Grath wrote:Just gonna throw this in here as a long, well-documented trove of "no, he didn't learn his lesson since those old comics":

Thanks for this thread. I'd seen a number of the things being cited in the thread, but it's great to see a big collated collection of how and why they're all so terrible, and why nothing's ever actually changed.

The dude's always been bad. And this is just the racism, not the ableism, misogyny, or homophobia.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:34 am

It's like, you only see nonwhite people in AH's work when they're part of a very easy punchline or part of a very bizarre punchline --

https://mrcheeze.github.io/andrewhussie ... s&page=127

I mean - and this is my personal view here - AH could be worse. He's certainly been willing to pull back on his bullshit in some cases, which is more than the average modern youtuber does.

But it's like, he withdraws from his goodwill account as soon as it has any credit on it, and it's always for the sake of weird things like maybe people call each other "fag" as an insult because Vriska pissed off Karkat really bad that one time. I mean in what state of mind would you consider that a joke unless you had dual boners for 1) revealing continuity after the fact and 2) had a circa-2002 Jerkcity-style level of understanding of slurs as humour?

anyway this is all a distraction from having revealed Dad's true backstory, which is that Jane had sex with Stan Laurel from Laurel & Hardy while Hitler's head looked

in case you thought j.k.rowling was too handful with her works

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:41 pm

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:22 pm

I'd be overjoyed if that did actually turn out to be 2019's worst. His output was uncomfortably greentext at best and it's nice to have an excuse to dump something huge and rambling from the webcomics reading list.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:05 pm

mharr wrote:I'd be overjoyed if that did actually turn out to be 2019's worst. His output was uncomfortably greentext at best and it's nice to have an excuse to dump something huge and rambling from the webcomics reading list.

In a decade or so have never actually seen a post describing or mentioning Homestuck, or even various pages/sequences of the comic I've been linked to at times, which would induce me into reading it.

I don't mean to claim I was ahead of the curve or anything, or that I anticipated his prejudices, but like, I've always wondered what the hell was so compelling about what seemed to be an almost completely incomprehensible mess, other than the fact of "Every page is animated! Wow!"

I do admit to finding Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff funny though. But that just probably means I have the sense of humour of a stunted twelve year old.

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:18 pm

I have a lot of time for the original format conceit of 90s videogame UI plus comic author as GM responding to community commentary through an interactive fiction input line, but it almost immediately flailed off into the weeds from that starting point in any case. Also Morgenstern is way better at it. http://bloodismine.com/comics/1