Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Webcomics and

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:20 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:39 pm

Announcement is forthcoming, but it looks like Power Nap is dead. And on the biggest cliffhanger of the series yet.

;__;

EDIT: Okay, it's looking like maybe this was a hoax now. Maybe? I hope?

There'd been no updates in over a month and no word from the creators, this was after they had gotten back on track with regular updates for several months now.

Then suddenly there were apologetic posts in the comment feed this morning from Maritza (or someone typing Maritza's username) saying that the comic was going to be ended and that also the funds from the second book campaign were gone and an announcement would be forthcoming shortly. this was followed by several commenters describing a twitter conversation with Maritza that confirmed this. Only now those posts have been deleted and Bachan is saying everything is fine and they've just been packing and sending the physical books out.

The main issue is that when there have been delays or hiatuses, both Bachan and Maritza have a godawful stupid habit of not saying anything, so fertile ground for a hoax. I don't know how hard it is for someone to just say "there will be a delay of X time.". Nobody who reads webcomics isn't used to creators having to drop or slow down comics sometimes.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:50 am

are they going full john campbell

Healy

Postby Healy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:00 am

Never go full John Campbell, Zara.

Okay but seriously that reference kinda makes me uncomfortable. That was a whole 'nother level of mental breakdown.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:05 pm

No, the creators are just shitty communicators, so they left a huge space where trolls could come in and pretend to be them to rile everyone up.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:49 pm

Oh and incidentally, this was good for a laugh or three

Dilbert cartoons with text replaced with actual Scott Adams quotes. It's magical.

http://mradilbert.tumblr.com/

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:23 am

Well, it's a little early to be saying "Achewood is back, again!" but two Fridays in a row seems like a promising start.

Healy

Postby Healy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:31 pm

It's not a patch on last week's "Fuck You Friday", but it is pretty good.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:22 pm

Anyone else reading

- Alpha Flag
- The Thief Of Tales

Thief has a particularly intelligent update schedule. One page per weekday once a chapter is complete, then a gap of weeks while the next chapter is being composed. This is good. This is how everyone should do it.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:30 am

so MSPA is finally ending

the animation is... ok

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:12 pm

Mongrel wrote:Anyone else reading
- Alpha Flag
- The Thief Of Tales
I am now, and they look promising.
Wolf God wrote:Hello, I'm going to eat you now RAAAAwow wait is that a story book
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:48 am

Aaand Homestuck is finally over.

I'm not sure how I feel about this ending: The animation is fantastically pretty, but the story itself is being coy about the last few mysteries remaining (as in, how the hell does Lord English get killed? Did he get depowered by the Green Sun being black-holed? Cause that makes no sense, his bullshit technicolor eyes came from another source entirely.)

It's not in Homestuck's nature to be coy. This is a comic that charted the entire life story of a plush rabbit.

So, a review of the whole comic: I really enjoyed the first four acts. Act 5 was different but I was still interested. Then Act 6 came around and it was just an interminable slog, where the characters were both less colorful than the trolls and with less agency than the other kids, and the endless delays, the pile-up of deus ex machinas and the story's attempts to be "experimental" left the whole thing in tatters.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:53 pm

zaratustra wrote:Aaand Homestuck is finally over.

I'm not sure how I feel about this ending: The animation is fantastically pretty, but the story itself is being coy about the last few mysteries remaining (as in, how the hell does Lord English get killed? Did he get depowered by the Green Sun being black-holed? Cause that makes no sense, his bullshit technicolor eyes came from another source entirely.)

It's not in Homestuck's nature to be coy. This is a comic that charted the entire life story of a plush rabbit.

So, a review of the whole comic: I really enjoyed the first four acts. Act 5 was different but I was still interested. Then Act 6 came around and it was just an interminable slog, where the characters were both less colorful than the trolls and with less agency than the other kids, and the endless delays, the pile-up of deus ex machinas and the story's attempts to be "experimental" left the whole thing in tatters.

This is the best explanation of Act 7 I've seen. Makes a lot of sense, especially on repeat viewing. But fear not.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:44 pm

nope. nope nope nope. fuck that. this comic is over, everyone hated the ending, THAT'S IT.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:34 pm

I actually liked that ending. I guess some stuff is left open, but not really. I mean, we know Timehulk gets schooled and everyone lives happily ever after. That's a little pat, but this isn't the climax of the story. It's really more of a coda. And a twist-free, straightforward playing out of stuff is kind of to be expected when the overarching plot has been six years of people fucking up repeatedly and then finding increasingly weird ways to get another shot at it until everything finally all comes together perfectly. I think maybe all the delays really fucked with perception of the pacing and set up weird expectations. It holds together a lot better as an archive.

I guess we don't find out exactly what happened to ridiculous cat bird troll sprite dave and a bunch of already dead people, but that's up there with the stars-hearts-horseshoe relationship between Clover and the crab troll on my shit I will never fucking care about list. I guess I'd like to know what happened with Sollux (either one of them because I'm pretty sure there's still at least one and a half alive ones kicking around for some reason,) but it's really not that important.

But yeah, the last act is the weakest. I think that's the sort of thing that happens with exploratory writing. You almost never get a really brilliant ending, but there are an absolute shitload of fun middles. Anyfuck, I don't really understand the titanic, towering piles of salt over this. It's like Lot married Galactus. Pretty much the entire Internet is all "extra extra world's greatest opera SUCKS." Just basically fuck fandoms I mean holy shit get some fucking perspective.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:45 pm

It seems to be divided by website. Reddit is livid. Tumblr is already planning a statue of Andrew Hussie on a horse. Twitter is like

But really, Homestuck and getting extremely worked up are things that are very close to each other.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:58 pm

Yeah. Like a lot of things I think I'd enjoy it a lot more without the fandom. Also, they're apparently complete wormshit assholes at conventions. Stories about teenagers jumping in a hotel pool while covered in gray body paint and other similar shenanigans fucking abound. Hell, I got mobbed by a bunch of roleplayers in a random park for making the mistake of wearing an 8bit record shirt and sunglasses. It took a few minutes to figure out why a bunch of kids turned into a swarm of coked up ferrets on my accidental approach. I like the same thing as you but holy shit tone it down. My life is already enough of a surreal cartoon without that sort of thing making me wonder if somebody spiked my whiskey with blotter acid. Made worse by the fact that my reaction to a bunch of teenagers wearing horns pouncing on me is apparently functionally identical to someone actually roleplaying Dave. It was just an absolute clusterfuck of terror and misunderstanding.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:29 am

Oh good Agatha just entered an ancient piece of architecture filled with deathtraps. This ought to be new and exciting.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:06 pm

Wow, Brent, you're still reading Girl Genius?

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:30 pm

I have been, too. Like a lot of these things, I think it's mostly just inertia at this point. HS wrapped up, McNinja is ending, Shiga's Camelfucking Adventure is about done... The week has just about halved my morning reading rotation, but Girl Genius just keeps on trucking.