Gravity Falls

Healy

Re: Gravity Falls

Postby Healy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:03 pm

Oh my fucking god (Warning: Serious Weirdmageddon spoilers)

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:02 am

Hirsch confirms the show is ending, says it's his call and not Disney's (and while he doesn't say so outright, he implies that Disney actually pushed for him to continue it, and forbade him from announcing that this was the final season until now).

Which, y'know, feels right, to be honest; I'd love to have another season but I was wondering what kind of cheat they'd use to continue past the ending of summer. And it would be a cheat.

So, y'know, looking forward to seeing how it ends, and whatever he gets up to next. I think it's already pretty clear that it's going out on a high note.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:44 am

I'm ... honestly surprised this was ever in question?

Healy

Postby Healy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:06 pm

I can't stop watching this Gravity Falls marathon! It's addicting! Also, the finale has got me in such a tussle that I started this dumb game jam for it at Glorious Trainwrecks. (You'll need an account there to make game submissions.) Come join in, if you want.

Healy

Postby Healy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:16 am

So, uh, guys, why aren't we talking about the finale yet? I rewatched it today and I think it might be my favorite Gravity Fall episode ever. High points:
  • That hug at the beginning in the Mystery Shack! D'aww.
  • Bill's entire first scene with Ford. I just love that he makes his big entrance with a song, and his origin is terrifying.
  • A lot of people seemed upset with Stan disapproving of Ford's rescue, but I could understand how he felt. Stan's never been the kind of guy who battles supernatural creatures unless he absolutely has to, like the twins are threatened. Plus, Ford's been kind of a dick to Stan ever since he got back. Besides, it's not like Stan does much worse than complaining until he and Ford ruin the World's Most Confusing Game of Hopscotch.
  • Oh man, how cool was that giant robot fight? So cool. Larry King's bit at the beginning was good, too.
  • "This experience will forever scar Tad Stange."
  • The reveal of the true purpose of the wheel was pretty great. I especially liked how it ultimately got ruined by both of the Stans' refusal to just let go, which is pretty funny because, well, you know.
  • Bill is absolutely horrifying in the second half, and it's so great. "I've got a couple of kids to turn into corpses!"
  • I still can't get over the Stan twins' big switcheroo. My brother called the twist before I did on our first watch, and I'm still kicking myself for not figuring it out sooner.
  • While we're here, can we talk about Stan's big sacrifice? It was amazing! That part where he punched Bill in the face was so cathartic. And all the foreshadowing leading up to it! I don't know how read up you guys were on the big theories leading into the finale, but people noticed how nearly every depiction of Stan (the wax dummy, the paper bag puppet, the balloon from Love God, maybe more) ended up burning in some fashion. Never in their wildest dreams, though, would any of them have imagined that it would pay off like this. (Even the people who pointed out that they were all from when Stan was posing as Stanford were onto something!)
  • That scene in the forest, when Stan wakes up... oh man, that got me bad. There's a bit of Bambi in its DNA, I think. And then, when they take him back to the Mystery Shack, and Mabel gets out her scrapbook... uh, hang on, there's something in my eye. I can understand the complaints that Stan's amnesia was all undone too soon, of course, but there was a limited amount of time, and they still needed to wrap quite a few things up, so I think it was just a trade-off. Personally I could have done with more of his memories being regained by being annoyed.
  • The "Nevermind all that" act! The most Springfield Gravity Falls has been, in my opinion.
  • "It's called 'Deathball'."
  • Blubs/Durland being so canon they literally set off a cannon! Woo hoo!
  • Stan and Ford are finally going on that trip, and Soos is gonna run the Mystery Shack! Meanwhile, McGucket is blanchin' in his mansion! Yay!
  • Stan and Ford threatening the bus driver if he didn't let Waddles on, and Stan saying goodbye to the kids, and also the entire end credits. Did you see the whole Pines family (and Soos) watching movies?
  • Also, I liked that last cipher. Very Lewis Carrol. (Should I bother spoilering this?)

So yeah, it was pretty great! Also, I made this super dumb, super spoilery thing. Maybe you'll get a kick out of it.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:38 pm

It was wonderful. I don't have much else to say about it but you did a good job nailing many of the reasons why it was wonderful.

Whatever Hirsch gets up to next, sign me the fuck up.

Healy

Postby Healy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:31 pm

Yeah, I'm eager to know what's next on Hirsch's plate, although I can't imagine it'd be too similar to Gravity Falls.

In other news, the AV Club has a new interview up with Alex on the series finale. Worth noting how hard working on the series was for him (we almost didn't get a season 2!), and that he wishes he could've spent more time on Stan regaining his memories.

Healy

Postby Healy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:00 pm

Still waiting for Disney to release those boxsets? Well, they haven't caved yet, but Grunkle Stan has offered his own solution:

(For some reason I'm only getting the audio when I play this here, so in case anyone else has the same problem let me assure you that the DVD art is a treasure.)

In other twitter news, some fake Parks twitter has been tweeting previews of Journal 3:

"Blessed muse", Ford? Seriously?

Healy

Postby Healy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:37 pm

Alex Hirsch to be signing copies of the Journal at SDCC.
(Someone save this man.)

(Also, not that I'm a frequent poster in these parts, but if you notice a drop off in my activity here and elsewhere, this is the reason why.)

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:51 pm

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:56 pm

I knew he had one of these

Anyway, they posted a song made just for me today and it's very good.