Sometimes Science is More Art than Science, Morty

Thad

Re: Sometimes Science is More Art than Science, Morty

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:26 am

Thad wrote:Soundcloud has the complete Goodbye, Moon Men track.

Same link's got the full version of the two songs from this week's episode now, too.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:51 pm

Apparently there was an AV Club interview with Harmon and Roiland back in July! Worth a look.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:26 am

The Ricks Must Be Crazy was fantastic, but good god if that wasn't stressful to watch the first time through. If you don't know things turn out more or less okay, it is just waiting for the shoe to fall on one catastrophie after another.

Really hope we see more of Colbert's character. That was a cool way to leave things.

Cool seeing Morty starting to do more than just tag along this season. Him and the teenyverse tree folk was a delight.

“Wait for the ramp, Morty. They love the slow ramp. It really gets their dicks hard.”

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:50 am

It really felt like the Rick Potion #9 of this season.

Nothing plot heavy, or real character development but lots of insight into them. Rick getting cocky, Morty calling him on some of the bullshit, and managing to build on top of the fires they caused, instead of handwaving everything back.

Plus “My function is to keep Summer safe, not to keep Summer, like, totally stoked about the general vibe and stuff. That’s you. That’s how you talk.” is the new best line of the series.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:49 pm

The delivery was great but it's pretty middle-of-the-road as a line. "That's you. That's how you talk." is such a cliche at this point.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:41 pm

I was almost even going to leave that off of my quote because I view as at least inconsequential to the rest of the line. It is a large part due to the delivery, but that doesn't still make it great.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:32 pm

oh shit son

OH SHIT SON

Classic

Postby Classic » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:33 pm

I made some mistakes and read people on Babble Time talking about how this show compares to Venture Bros.
As a result, I don't believe that any of those things "took".

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Welp, that...doesn't really make me want to eat at a Carl's Jr even a little, but...it certainly is a thing that exists now.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:25 pm

Definitely the first ad I've actually intentionally re-watched since... I can't remember.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:04 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:23 am

State of Georgia v Denver Fenton Allen transcript as performed by Rick and Morty. NSFW.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:35 pm

It wasn't until someone specifically showed it to me as a reading of the transcript that I realized it wasn't part of the series. It sounds exactly like basically any scene from the show.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:13 pm

So, there's apparently a Rick and Morty concept album by Allie Goertz, and it's surprisingly great.

(Thanks Oxi)

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:38 am

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:37 am

God damn. Latest ep with the Rick and Morty citadel was excellent.

Here's hoping this keeps up.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:42 pm

Yeah. I'm giving some credit to my mood at the time being just the right mix of frustration and self-destruction, but this episode hit me in a powerful way I haven't felt yet this season.

Great, if often intentionally shlocky, look at race and humanity in society. But also just that real power existential dread that you can only get from from Ricks.

Same old story... Ricks killing Ricks.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:03 am

"There can be serious problems if a Morty gets too cocky."

If we take Rick's memory of his daughter and wife dying in the Citadel's assassination bomb as correct (even though he was faking the memory, the actual events might have been real, and his reaction to watching it again certainly seemed genuine) then Morty was never born in Rick's original universe/timeline. Even so, I think that Eyepatch Morty was Rick's first Morty, after his first hop into a universe where his wife and daughter were not killed.

Note that the Morty left behind by Rick in the OP is not actually shown being eaten by the dinosaur monsters.

I believe that Eyepatch Morty's goal is to kill every single Rick in all timelines. Going back to his first plan, it seemed his initial goal was to download our Rick's brain into his robot Rick. Of course, our Morty thwarted that plan by escaping, perhaps foreshadowing that our Rick is no longer capable of handling Eyepatch Morty, who knows him too well. It will fall to our Morty to side with Rick over Eyepatch Morty when it comes down to "is Rick a villain who needs to be exterminated for his crimes."
ImageImageImage

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:53 am

Pretty much down with that theory except:

If Rick Origin Memory is real, I think 'our' Rick is more likely the one that was working for early-stages Citadel recruiting other Ricks. Rick's relationship with the Citadel makes the most sense if he was a major part of it in the past, and based on combo Rick memories in Close-Rickcounters and photos at Birdman's house we know that Our Rick was around Morty as a baby. It's possible that's another Rick / timeline / whatever, but that would be a lot of red herrings.

And totally unfounded personal theory on President Morty:

I think he's the abandoned credits Morty, but isn't trying to kill all Ricks, he's trying to prove a point to 'our' Rick, The Rickest Rick that he has ascended Mortydom and become master of Mortys and Ricks. He's not trying to kill his Rick, he never meant to target him during the original plan. Since C-137 Beth hadn't seen her Rick since before Morty was born, and we don't even know what they jumped to after Rick Potion #9 that Morty's semi-automated system for eliminating Ricks to get Mortys probably had no idea he was picking up his original Rick, and had no intention to ever try and kill him there.

And non-episode spoiler stuff:

A character makes an off-hand but direct-to-camera, center-of-focus hy-phen-ated remark about citadels in the multiverse. What's up with that? I thought the whole point was that the citadel was a fixed point in the multiverse, not in space.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:33 pm

Oh my god. Rick C-137.

Cesium-137.

Rick used cesium to blow up the Zigerions. But more than that, cesium-137 is one of the more dangerous products of nuclear fission. According to Wikipedia it's also "quite chemically reactive, and hence difficult to handle."

It all makes sense...