(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Animes

Esperath

Re: (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Animes

Postby Esperath » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:37 pm

Friday wrote:Trigger knows that over-the-top is for pussies and the real money is going beyond over-the-top.

Edgerunners peaked episode 2 for me for exactly this reason: the overflowing level of manic intensity.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:04 pm

I've yet to be convinced I need to see more of Edgerunner than just the I Really Want to Stay at Your House music video.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:39 pm

beatbandito wrote:I've yet to be convinced I need to see more of Edgerunner than just the I Really Want to Stay at Your House music video.

Honestly, having watched Edgerunners to completion, I feel like it's missing an essential element of tragedy: the sense that any preferable outcome could ever have occurred.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:17 pm

I think that was the point: Night City (and by symbolic extension, our own hyper-capitalistic society) does not permit winners. It grinds everyone down to dust except those at the very top, who profit from the system. Adam Smasher is a stand in for the use of overwhelming force that governments (and corporations, and corpo-governments) will use if you start to get close to actually pulling off a win. They will come in and kill everything and everyone you love, and furthermore, your tragic deaths and stories will not change society one iota.

It's a very dark, cynical and pessimistic message, but I do think it's an intentional one. The tragedy isn't that David and company couldn't win, it's that we live in David's world, just without all the -aesthetic-.

The game might be another matter, it could have a more hopeful message, I haven't played it.

In real life, of course, corpo-governments and tyrants can and have been overthrown, the idea that they are invincible and change is impossible is doomer shit. Nobody is invincible.
ImageImageImage

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:31 pm

There is precisely one hopeful ending to Cyberpunk and it is still a downer. Cyberpunk is just a world where people cannot win. Which is why its characters long to burn brightly before they burn out

And Edgerunners it's good. it's not a tragedy, David gets exactly what he wanted. Also he's named David so everyone can call him D, which rhymes with V
signature

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:23 pm

and that stands for Pool

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:43 am

Friday wrote:The game might be another matter, it could have a more hopeful message, I haven't played it.

"Change society for the better? Buddy pal friend buddy fellow brother amigo homeslice breadslice choom, you can't even save yourself."

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:59 pm

Dungeon Meshi Ep 11 Live reaction:
Oh so that's why they got Studio Trigger on this
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:22 am

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:39 pm

source

watch Dungeon Meshi

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:17 pm

It's really been a joy. My nephew and I have been reading the manga together and are close to done, and the show really has been doing a great job capturing the fun of the series, while keeping it "realistic" in terms of the biology and the cooking.

The ep after the dragon where they resurrect Falin was very well-done and gruesome, but tonally fit, and their attitudes about it all felt very true to character. I loved it.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:30 pm

Wait a minute... was Dungeon Meshi the reason Ed Greenwood was spouting off about elf tiddy milk recently?

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:49 pm

you think Ed Greenwood needs a reason to bloviate about drow baps?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:57 pm

Fair. But in this case it was visibly in response to a fan question.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:51 am

Been reading mangas for the first time in a loooooonnng time.

Goddamn, why didn't anyone tell me that Spy X Family was adorable and heartwarming enough to cause grave physical distress. Holy shit I am so here for that. Doesn't hurt that Endo's plotting is impressively meticulous and his ability to turn on a dime to switch genres within the same work is kinda wild, honestly.

I'm appreciate Endo's own personality shining through here and there. Of course writer speeches in comics of any sort are usually canned disruptions to the story - and often embarrassing - but Endo seems like that rare writer-creature, someone who actually knows what's up and who can weave that into his stories reasonably well? Sure, he's still a traditional mangaka laying it on with the internal soliloquies and a healthy dollop of melodrama, but he's getting as good value out of the trope as I've seen anywhere else.

Reminds me of It's a Wonderful Life; something you remember as joyful and uplifting, supposedly to the point of being hackneyed, but a story which can only exist as a veneer built over a ruined house of darkness, suffering, and pain. Flowers on a grave, as it were. That also makes it subversive as fuck, and I do like me some subversive writing as well.

So... adorable AND subversive? Well damn.

======

Also read Skeleton Soldier Couldn't Protect the Dungeon. All You Need Is Kill crosses over with a JRPGs (well a KRPG, given the author's Korean). Mildly interesting, enough to keep an eye out for future developments? Average shonen fare with a more interesting protagonist than most.

One warning, there's a weirdly transphobic element with one character, but the scanlators change like, every ten minutes on that one, and some of them are really bad so I don't actually know if the author intends it to be transphobic or that's just a translation problem (like, it's literally that different translators are using different pronouns and while consistently correct pronouns wouldn't necessarily make it an enlightened book or anything, it would at least mean the character was probably not intended as deliberately offensive).

What I found kind of fascinating is that the studio artist who did the first of the four series arcs is that rare creature, an Asian kid who probably grew up reading and drawing in a manga style, but who's trying to move towards a more western style. We're western, so usually the story we see is the kid who grows up on western comics and turns weeb, it's always a bit neat to see it from the other direction. But the story was handed off to some fairly average artists after that, so eh.

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:31 am

Mongrel wrote:Been reading mangas for the first time in a loooooonnng time.

Goddamn, why didn't anyone tell me that Spy X Family was adorable and heartwarming enough to cause grave physical distress. Holy shit I am so here for that. Doesn't hurt that Endo's plotting is impressively meticulous and his ability to turn on a dime to switch genres within the same work is kinda wild, honestly.

I'm appreciate Endo's own personality shining through here and there. Of course writer speeches in comics of any sort are usually canned disruptions to the story - and often embarrassing - but Endo seems like that rare writer-creature, someone who actually knows what's up and who can weave that into his stories reasonably well? Sure, he's still a traditional mangaka laying it on with the internal soliloquies and a healthy dollop of melodrama, but he's getting as good value out of the trope as I've seen anywhere else.

Reminds me of It's a Wonderful Life; something you remember as joyful and uplifting, supposedly to the point of being hackneyed, but a story which can only exist as a veneer built over a ruined house of darkness, suffering, and pain. Flowers on a grave, as it were. That also makes it subversive as fuck, and I do like me some subversive writing as well.

So... adorable AND subversive? Well damn.

The worst thing about Spy x Family is when I get caught up and I really can't focus on it week-to-week so I drop it for a while and then I forget what was going on so oh noooo I have to read like twenty chapters back again to get caught up whenever it's time to binge again. It is truly a tragedy to have to enjoy this great manga all over again every time.

also if you're reading manga again there has never been a better time to start reading one piece, do it, do it, do it.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:44 pm

Reading One Piece is a trap second only to watching it.

HOWEVER, The Fable has shot up to one of my all-time favorite series and just got NA licensing last week. The best way I can describe it is Ichi The Killer, but way less absurd and with none of the gross. Autistic super assassin and his driver/facewoman are tasked with going to ground in Osaka for a year, but the yakuza family housing them (and Satou's complete lack of social development) make things difficult.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:21 pm

Niku wrote:also if you're reading manga again there has never been a better time to start reading one piece, do it, do it, do it.

You're really going to have to hard sell me on that one, because I recall reading it for a while when it first came out (maybe, 1/20th of where it is now?) and IMO it was pretty standard big-roster shonen battle fare, albeit a better class of such. Never really hooked me in.

Not to mention now that it's at 1000+ chapters that only reinforces that perception.

Speaking of tropey things, I fucking loooooooooooost it when Spy X Family did the bit making fun of girl-with-toast-in-mouth.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:25 pm

Delicious in Dungeon is a good Manga. Ryoko Kui is a master of art, storytelling, and humour. You should read it.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:56 pm

Büge wrote:

Delicious in Dungeon is a good Manga. Ryoko Kui is a master of art, storytelling, and humour. You should read it.

Yes, I've noticed it seems to be the flavour of the month. :V

(Honestly, the graphic style does look very friendly, so I've already thought about Dungeon Meshi)