(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Animes

beatbandito

Re: (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Animes

Postby beatbandito » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:57 am

Does manga go here or the comics thread? Whatever no one cares.

Which manga is this?

The dopey main character, who is tired of seeing his friends hurt for his sake, learns that he has a latent ability to control his enemies through his voice. He doesn't notice it at first, but those around him do. Those that know of the power are amazed that it would wind up in the hands of someone like that, but it all makes sense when they learn the truth about his father. Now he's as important a target to his enemies as he is to his allies, and there are people on both sides who would rather the power not be in his young hands.

Did you guess Attack on Titan? Because the answer was that, and also One Piece, like, exactly.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:17 pm

Spoiler tags don't exactly do their job when I don't know what it is I'm being spoiled on.

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:10 am

I thought it was Code Geass for a bit.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:37 am

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:04 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:18 pm

XD

EDIT: Here's the whole song

Oh hey, BTW.

So someone told me that Izetta: The Last Witch is basically like a secret Valkryia Chronicles fanfic (well, not fanfic... doesn't refer to anything in VC directly or even indirectly, it's just very much the same themes and feel ?). Confirm/Deny?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:59 pm

So, finally - FINALLY - getting around to freaking watching Gurren Lagann.

Up to ep. 6. Not bad so far, but Kamina is really the only part of the show that's really great and he's the main reason I'm still going beside the show's rep promising Amazing Things at some point. It's good, but I'm still hoping this is still more of a setup phase for bigger payoffs down the line? Half of ep 6 being a recap when we're only 6 episodes in was pretty annoying, even though I get that that's a riff on giant robot shows doing that all the time.

Also someone told me Jupiter gets thrown at someone in the first episode. Lies! Filthy lies!

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:15 pm

man, Kamina does some rad shit later on. Keep going, Mongrel.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:32 pm

Disclaimer: Yeah, I am aware of one IMPORTANT KAMINA SPOILER, but that's because it's pretty inescapable if you go anywhere anime is mentioned on the internet at all. I'm surprised it's not on that spoiler t-shirt.

My biggest hope is that the other characters start to pick up the slack at some point, because right now it feels like all the energy and fun in the series flows from Kamina.

Yoko is okay, but outside of a couple of good moments (and okay, the "we have to hunt for the lazy men!" scene kind of made me grind my teeth a bit... JAPAN!), she's still kind of a non-entity. Simon is alright, but he's just generic young boy high-powered anime protagonist and most of his character is just him bouncing off or reacting to Kamina (hey, I can be thankful he's not Shinji). The new kid, the monk, who's name escapes me has been good as the "AM I THE ONLY SANE ONE??!" straight man so far but that's only been a scene or two and MITHTER MECHANIC is amusing in his traditionally stereotypical flamingly offensive lovable gay anime supporting character way, but he's almost stopped appearing since the third episode.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:40 pm

Mongrel wrote:(hey, I can be thankful he's not Shinji).

ahahaha
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:49 am

Oh man, don't tell me does he turn into Shinji? Aw... I hope not. ;___;

Ep 7: Ah they finally started the FIRST BOSS FIGHT, cool okay. And minions mech for a MECHAFORCE too, nice. LOL nice Space Battleship reference. Wait the old guy who lured them into the hot springs trap is hanging around with them now? WTF?

Ep. 8: Oh I see what you mean. Shit. You bastards! You really blew it up!

Also, well! **That** happened sooner than I thought it would; alas, poor Mercutio. Of course the ten times line kind of telegraphs it, but still, geez this is still early goings yet. Hope there's enough in the next couple episodes to keep me going.

Oh and the subtitle letters for the attack names falling apart as the attacks got more powerful was a nice touch.

Ep. 9: Hm, interesting drill imagery in that throne room... FORESHADOWING?!?!?! Also... is the Helix King... human? I like the creepy, cold-ass monochrome aesthetic this episode has.

Ahhhhh a whole episode of Shinji crap noooooo... nooo you idiot that's a trap... for fuck's sakes the hot springs was only three episodes ago and you saw the box being dropped by a ganmen. Oh wait it's not a trap and she's... oh... huh, it's that trope instead. Also, I didn't expect an answer to my question at the beginning of this episode so soon. Though I guess those weird pupils might mean "alien" or something?

Ep. 10: Oh Kittan you're adorable. I guess since they killed Spike right out of the damn gate, Cowboy Andy will have to do. Also, Adiane makes the best damn facial expressions, hee hee~

Oh and... wait... I feel stupid for not getting this sooner, but is Roshiu secretly a One-Punch Man reference? I don't know One-Punch Man very well, so maybe I'm barking up completely the wrong tree there.

patito

Postby patito » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:55 am

One punch man probably didn't even exist in the mind of its maker when gurren was a thing

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:57 am

Huh I thought OPM was older for some reason.

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:08 am

I just had a flashback to 2006 and Kamina fanboys making me hate Gurren Lagann.

I still don't like it.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:24 am

MarsDragon wrote:I just had a flashback to 2006 and Kamina fanboys making me hate Gurren Lagann.

I still don't like it.

So far my opinion is that it's decent, and I guess better than an average anime, but not by a lot - it's not wowing me or anything. Maybe it will turn out that the hype train has ruined it for me.

But I like(d) Kamina quite a bit and the episodes without him have certainly felt weaker and more generic so far.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:12 am

Best thing to say is that the "bad" parts of Gurren Lagann are the way they are very deliberately.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:51 am

Yeah, I gather that, and recognize the references in some cases and and even when I don't know the source, I can still usually recognize references as references. But that doesn't really mean I enjoy them all that much.

Riffing on well-worn tropes is one thing, but just straight-facedly recreating them is... just repeating the same old tropes again. I don't care that "becase Gainax made it!" makes it "meta" somehow.

===

Ep. 11: Okay THAT'S a trap. Hee hee~ okay, I laughed at Kittan being too dumb to read the bad acting.

Oh hey, that cut and paste animation sequence was really cool.

I want to say that I hope the Shinji crap is done now, but I'm not feeling super-confident about that... especially given the central premise of the show's mecha being that they're confidence-powered. There won't be any "dramatic tension" if the kid doesn't shit it up some more. :/

Also, I haven't mentioned it, but I assume that the King isn't the final boss (maybe he's some scavenger who came across earth or some earth warlord and made or controlled the beastmen?) and that there's at least one more full villain layer (the ganmen makers at least), if not more?

Ep 12: But... but... Yoko's already wearing a bikini top. Okay, that's a little too un-self-aware even for this type of show. Oh I guess they sorrrt of lampshade this, but eh, not really.

Kayak paddle, lol.

That chair bump, oh my, lol.

I guess this was the WWII callback episode that I have really vague memories of people getting upset about when the series first aired? What with the Yamato at sea imagery followed by a nuke.

Re: Hype. Up to now I feel like they were topping themselves each episode, as promised, but actually not really any more than your standard power anime escalation, which was also promised. The way I heard it, each episode was supposed to be a totally absurd order-of-magnitude jump in power levels and ridiculousness... but so far it had actually felt pretty bog-standard to me. The nuke blast finally feels a bit different. It's not an order of magnitude by any means, but maybe the jumps will start to get as absurd as claimed from here on in?

Ep 13: Spider-Lagann, Spider-Lagann, does whatever a Gurren can.

Yep, that meal turned out pretty much exactly as expected.

Ep 14: Housecleaning episode. BUT as that end shot shows (not entirely unexpectedly), we've reached city-sized ganmens, so maybe this will pick up a bit with 15?

Ep 15: Something about the ten-second shot of the human reinforcement ganmen and Tepperin ganmen dickaramming each other and then exchanging wild punch flurries was profoundly amusing.

Well, that was a different way to end bossfight #2. How novel! But they didn't actually manfight a city-sized ganmen... :/

My guess in Episode 11 was pretty much confirmed.

===

So I'll probably finish up tomorrow. So far it's good enough that it's worth finishing (and I'm past halfway anyway), but... eh, I'm not in love with this or anything. One thing bugging me is that it feels like a lot of the characters are kind of wasted with so little screentime to share around - even the main characters. I mean, yeah, that happens in this kind of show all the time, but still. Simon is still a bland, generic protagonist, so lol whatever.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:03 am

Okay, let's finish this sucker off.

Mister Driller: The Anime, Episodes 16-27.

Ep 16: I've noticed the animation style changes over the episodes, but the only time I mentioned it previously was when the did the cut-and-paste scenes, which were brief, but great. The IRL drawing opening is fun too.

... wait ... a full-episode recap? Aw fuck right off.

Ep 17: Well, that was all pretty well expected. "I'll blow it into PIXELS!" is kind of cute.

Hahah, they actually bothered to explain the Old Man. WHY.

Man, Dayakka barely ever says anything, but for some reason I really like him. I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe it's because he seems like a thoroughly ordinary guy from a boringly ordinary earth who somehow fell into a comically overpowered anime.

Ep 18: Okay, sure. Exposition. Roshiu getting rid of the "Government Ministers" by making them into government customer service guys was kind of cute.

Ep 19: LOL, Handcuffs for Boota, nice touch. Poor Kamina keeps getting killed over and over again. Attenborough fucking with his chair controls was both perfectly appropriate and hilarious.

They're doing very pretty things with those Mugen.

Oh, here's where our Giant Space Battleship will come from. Convenient. Oh and we've upgraded to thermonuclear blasts.

Man, if they really wanted to get all novel, they'd actually let Simon be executed or killed and have someone else take over the show. Of course this will not happen. Maybe that's a bit too GRRM though.

Ep 20: The opening narrator's voice really is one of the very best things about this show.

Wew, for a second there I was like "Wait... are they going to do a 'Don't drop the soap"?

Cowboy Andy gets his day in the sun. Also, took Yoko long enough to show up again... she was gone so long I actually forgot she was a character in this show (I'm... not actually kidding about that). I can only hope she's take this time off to develop an actual personality! (tentatively legit hopeful...?)

Ep 21: Schoolmarm Yoko?! BAHAH! Okay, that might be the best plot twist in the whole series so far. That was quite a bit of a better payoff than I expected.

Wait... the Ganmen were designed to fight in space... but they weren't even watertight back in episode 12? Sure, whatever.

Ep 22: The stream I was watching this on fucked up and had Ep 21 twice, with the second being an overwrite of Ep 22, so I suffered through a dub episiode Wow the English voices are unreal bad... I mean, this is usually the case, but I thought distributors actually scraped up a few dollars for marquee shit like Gainax prductions. Hahaha, oh my god, they actually pronounce it "Sea-moan" even in English. Remember kids: Anime dubbing causes brain, prostate, and ovarian cancer. Simultaneously.

The long-awaited battleship combination upgrade... AND a punch that breaks space-time? AND the moon is (as could be suspected) yet another battleship? Aw yiss finally some absurd-level escalation. FINALLY.

Leite and Makken still winning "most adorable TTGL family" award.

The Anti-Spirals are... Jack Skellington.

Okay, the direct and blatant lampshading of "Any percentage that isn't 0% is functionally 100%" is actually one of the best and most self-aware lines of the whole show.

This was easily the best episode since the Kamina ones early on.

Ep. 23: Blah blah set-up episode. Oh the Anti-Spirals used to be Spirals. I guess they're making it so the Roshiu-village theme continues throughout the whole series? Probably should have seen that coming, I guess! Annnd here we are back in said village, so yep. Oh hey I was kind of wondering way back at the beginning if that book was going to mean anything... CONFIRMED. Oh. Or... not?

I appreciate all the Space Battleship/Harlock -type costume references.

Ep 24: "Carrier-based aircraft"... uh that was a bit of a weird clunker.

Time to start using up all these supporting cast deaths we've been saving up!

Interdimensional Space Ocean? Does this mean we get INTERDIMENSIONAL SPACE WHALES? We're not that lucky, right?

Ep. 25: Cowboy Andy gets to ride again... again! Plus impotence jokes.

HAHAH HOLY SHIT SUPER SAIYAN MOLE PIG

Nuuuuuuuu Cowboy Andy! Not you too!

Nice sunglasses, bro.

Ep. 26. FINALLY, after all this time we get the planet throwing I was promised all along.

Aww yeah, let's fight God. It's not even the final episode so will they find a way to top that in the final?

Yo dawg, I heard you like drills.

The devolution into completely, purposefully, incomprehensible nonsense is really great.

Oh hey! BTL! And.... wait since Simon's an idiot, does this mean he gets to play Rimmer and inadvertently bust them out?! Aw. No. I guess that would have been too good.

Hahah. Furry Boota. Oh wow. Man.

Haha these BTL dreams are great, principal Spiral king lol, oh shit VIRAL YOU HAVE THE SADDEST DREAM. ;___________________;

Ep. 27: Aw yeah, here's the universe chucking. LOL Shuriken galaxies.

YES. BIG BANG THROWING. YES.

Huh, now how are they going to defeat the end of the universe in less than ten minutes?

Oh. They're not. Oh wait post-credits scene.

*goes back to watch the opening scene of Ep 1*... hmmm well, that looks like Simon and furry-Boota... but it doesn't correspond with any actual scene from the final battle. Was that just a sort of quasi-preview of Episode 26-27? Or something else like an alternate universe? Maybe it's not supposed to be clear. Oh well.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:17 am

Overall, I'd say it started strong, up until they kill Kamina and ended strong, starting with Episode 22, where it really starts to take off. But it was quite a long ride where I was really just like "Eh, this series is okay, I guess."

The teacher sidetrack was great, but Yoko just kind of got sidelined as a non-character. I feel like they didn't know what to do with her. I'm quite happy Shinji never came back. I'm still not 100% sure about the way they handled their Mercutio, if he should have stayed in longer. It would have been more conventional for him to die closer to a final battle, so there was some real trope subversion value in doing away with him so early on, but they never really did replace him. Simon eventually became Kamina in his own right... sort of... but he also stayed kind of bland-protagonist to the end. Cowboy Andy and Viral really were the two main characters who grew to be really great after they killed Kamina.

Basically the story was hilarious and the supporting characters were pretty good, but the main characters were kind of yeah okay whatever and the villains of the second-half were basically non-entities. I mean, not only were there no antagonists even remotely as great as Adiane or Guame... there were virtually no antagonists at all! With the heroes pretty much just cosmic-punching abstract concepts into oblivion.

The sheer ridiculousness of where the story goes makes it fairly worthwhile and I appreciated a lot of the clever things they did, like the riffing on probabilities or the way the absurdity builds up on an exponential scale, like human population growth, but I'd just rate it pretty good, rather than great. Crucially, it's not something that I feel like I'll want to re-watch at some point. But it was fun to watch once. Oh! And it has a great soundtrack.

So my opinion of Gainax is still pretty much Wings of Honnaemise is still my favourite, can't decide between FLCL and KLK for second, and the rest is just... in a bowl over there somewhere.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:36 pm