TV Series On The Television

beatbandito

Re: TV Series On The Television

Postby beatbandito » Sun May 28, 2023 8:34 pm

From is such a dumb fucking show, and we're in an era where no TV mystery was written with an answer in mind. And yet I keep watching.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon May 29, 2023 1:19 am

From is completely hypnotic. Every character is bad. Nothing is ever answered. The very premise sucks.

I love watching it! I don't get it!

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:02 am

I'm a Virgo on Prime is Boots Riley doin' it again. If you vibed at all with Sorry to Bother You you should check it out. If you haven't seen StBY, you should still check it out. It was very much a "let's check out the first episode" and then three hours later we'd binged the whole thing kind of afternoon.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:38 pm

I'm a Virgo is very good, yes. Hard to get more specific than Niku without getting in to it, but it is a good story that anyone can appreciate. Truly the anime of our time.

Destynova

Postby Destynova » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:32 pm

Saw this on TVTrope's page for Breaking Bad.

On February 14, 2023, it was announced that there would be a South Korean remake of the show. The production company JP E&M will be producing the series which will be aired on an OTT streaming platform for four seasons. The first season is planned to be aired in early 2024, and it will be directed by Lee Chang-yeol.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:48 pm

Hey, remember the time Xena did a clip show halfway through its first season?

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:42 am

Why the fuck did none of you fucks tell me how fucking amazing Ted Lasso is?
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:36 am

Because the rest of the internet wouldn’t shut the fuck up about it probably.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:43 pm

Yeah, but I rely on you people to filter the rest of the internet's bullshit and tell me what things are actually true!

(Granted, Season 2 is... suddenly leaning all-conflict all-the-time for no reason, so I can see being put off by that. I would probably be dropping it around here if my roommate hadn't told me Season 3 is amazing)
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:27 pm

I really liked American Born Chinese. I haven't read the comic so I don't know what's changed in the TV version.

On the one hand, it's pretty cool that it's an Everything Everywhere All At Once reunion; on the other, it's too bad that's because Hollywood draws from such a small pool of Chinese-American actors.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:17 pm

Good Omens season 2 isn't as good as season 1 but it's still pretty good, particularly the Book of Job episode guest-starring Peter Davison as Job.

It's smaller than season 1; there's no looming apocalypse this time. Gaiman's described it as setup for season 3, which hasn't been greenlit yet but if it happens that will use the plot he and Pratchett worked out for the sequel. Season 2 is largely a character piece with a light mystery and (the highlight) some flashbacks to earlier eras, and in the last 15 minutes or so it sets up a new status quo that gets the pieces into place for season 3. In a way that will be extremely frustrating if season 3 doesn't end up happening.

(And as this season was written for TV, it's ditched season 1's narration. There is almost no Frances McDormand this season. I love her but kinda felt like she was miscast; Good Omens' narration is fundamentally British and I just don't think it's as funny with an American accent. It'd be like making a Hitchhiker's Guide adaptation and casting her as the Voice of the Book.)

In other Good Omens adaptations: the radio adaptation is streaming for free again, and there's a Kickstarter afoot for a comic adaptation by Colleen Doran. I somehow still haven't gotten around to reading any of Doran's other Gaiman adaptations, but she's flippin' great and they just won an Eisner for her adaptation of Chivalry.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:29 pm

I've been watching Pee-Wee's Playhouse since Reubens's passing, and it's pretty much the very definition of a show I loved as a kid but I appreciate as an adult. (And I'm not just talking about Miss Yvonne's cleavage! But I'm not not talking about Miss Yvonne's cleavage.)

Like, that's a long list, from Rocky and Bullwinkle to Batman: The Animated Series. But Pee-Wee's Playhouse stands alone in the sheer level of artistry on display across multiple media. The set design, the puppets, the VFX -- and I can't even talk about how good the stop-motion animation is without breaking that down into the multiple different media the different stop-motion segments use. I can't really think of any other show that does that many things that well except Sesame Street, which is only, y'know, the greatest children's show of all time.

Destynova

Postby Destynova » Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:22 pm

Earlier I posted that I was watching THE 100 and was told that was a mistake. I stuck with it until Season 5 and dropped it(watching clips and reading recaps) because the number of characters I was interested in had dwindled to just Raven,Monty and Harper while the annoying/stupid characters,(Clarke,Bellemy,Octavia,Murphy and Emori) where burning everything to the ground. Yesh, I wonder if the books are actually better.

I learned how to bail earlier after going through WEEDS. First three seasons are good with a perfect cut off point at the end of the third season but the rot hits hard in the last 2 seasons.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:16 pm

What kept you going?

I'm running into this with Hell on Wheels. This show has been awesome for three season and I feel like it's now just turned into something I fully do not give a FUCK about

Destynova

Postby Destynova » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:36 am

With WEEDS? Seasons 4-5 were good to ok(4 was better) I did like the new location and while Nancy was pissing me off more, I liked the kids and the antics of Nancy's brother in-law along with Doug.(Cause Doug is always there)

Once they left again, the show kept bringing up places and plotlines only to swiftly dump them before they could get good and Nancy started screwing up more and being more focused with selling weed even if to screwed over the others like bullying them for money and trashing their goals.

I kept watching for the other characters since they were still ok

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:30 am

Mothra wrote:What kept you going?

I'm running into this with Hell on Wheels. This show has been awesome for three season and I feel like it's now just turned into something I fully do not give a FUCK about

You can safely stop watching after Common gets in a fist fight with a bear.

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:59 am

it brings me no small amount of utter bewilderment to inform you that:

Netflix One Piece is really fucking good

Destynova

Postby Destynova » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:43 pm

Also with THE 100 is that once seasons 4-5 started it stopped being about the 100(which became about the 50 at that point) and the tech level shot off into space with The City of Light instead of hardish science fiction if you squint some(Mt.Weather was pushing it, but I rolled with it) from what I read the last two seasons go bonkers.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:27 am

Caught a couple episodes of Sesame Street the other day and boy I hope this sparse-ass format is a COVID protocol thing, not a budget cuts at HBO thing.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:03 pm

A couple people told me to give What We Do in the Shadows season 5 a shot. I'm 4 episodes in and it's a lot better than season 4. It's all a little familiar at this point, but that's probably for the best; season 4 demonstrated that this is not a show that benefits from changes to its formula.