TV Series On The Television

Niku

Re: TV Series On The Television

Postby Niku » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:25 pm

speaking of crazy ex-girlfriend, wait what, it's just me literally talking about it all the time to everyone in my life?? oh well I have no goddamn clue how we're only up to episode 4 this season? It feels like they took cues from The Good Place in just how goddamn breakneck the plotting has felt compared to the prior two seasons, which gives the entire thing this incredibly right feeling that the snowball has hit that momentum point where everything is absolutely unstoppable now in this downward spiral. Scary Scary Sexy Lady is probably the only song from this season so far that I haven't been totally in love with despite it being hilarious, but goddamn if stuff like Let's Generalize About Men and Strip Away My Conscience haven't been completely top-shelf.

Also I finally watched the first episode of Fargo last night and .. yeah, I think I'm gonna need to watch more. Jesus christ Martin Freeman.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:39 am

Friday wrote:Sadly, I don't think Justice-Fist Hopper gets to deck ANYONE in this season,

That's okay, he'll soon be rocking the Right Hand of Doom.

Niku wrote:Also I finally watched the first episode of Fargo last night and .. yeah, I think I'm gonna need to watch more. Jesus christ Martin Freeman.

I think Fargo is my favorite show, but I'm stalled out about halfway through season 3. It gets pretty rough (as always) and I don't like watching it before bed.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:57 am

Amazon is apparently trying to turn Lord of the Rings into a TV series.

I can think of a lot of reasons LotR would work as a TV series, and four reasons why it's a dumb idea:

1. It's already a movie trilogy;
2. The movies are good;
3. The movies are still pretty recent;
4. There are a whole lot of other books that could be adapted as TV series that don't meet criteria 1-3.

Some of #4 are already in development for TV; Dark Tower and His Dark Materials are both examples of books that got turned into poorly-received movies that are trying again on TV. If we're to stick with the "fantasy series with the word 'Dark' in the title that got made into movies that bombed" theme, might I also suggest The Dark is Rising?

Though it will surprise no one that my first pick for something I'd like to see turned into a TV series (er, again) is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:34 pm

Calling that it's just going to be a... fancy chair contest set in the extended universe of (Peter Jackson's) Middle-Earth.

I keep editing this post to be less descriptive and I don't know what's wrong with me.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:58 pm

That would certainly make more sense. But it appears that whatever it is they're doing, the Tolkien Estate has to sign off on it.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:43 am

Given the announcement that it's set between Hobbit and LotR, I'm thinking that probably means Silmarillion is still off-limits. But there's still plenty of stuff in that timeframe to play with.

Young Aragorn's years in Rohan and Gondor (under the assumed name Thorongil) seems like there's a lot of potential material there. And Aragorn and Denethor are roles that people probably won't be too upset to see recast in a prequel. (I don't think anybody wants to see somebody other than Ian McKellen play Gandalf.) Hell, you could even pull a plot twist on the audience and not tell them upfront that Thorongil is Aragorn.

I'd be interested in seeing what the Dwarves are up to as well; we never get much of the story of what happens to them after The Hobbit. I know that Durin son of Thorin becomes King Under the Mountain (and of course that Balin dies in Moria and Gloin and his son Gimli go to the Council of Elrond), and IIRC he eventually dies in the War in the North, but it seems like there's a lot more they could do with that story.

Also, the time between Gandalf leaving the One Ring in Frodo's care and returning to throw it in the fire and test its nature is seventeen years. The movie glosses over this detail but does not explicitly contradict it. There's plenty of story that can be fitted in there (and if the show really feels the need to use Gollum -- which it absolutely does not need to -- this would be the logical place to put him).