TV Series On The Television

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: TV Series On The Television

Postby Mothra » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:04 pm

Okay I know this goes without saying, but I saw the first two episodes of the new Muppets show and it sucks pretty hard. Episode two had an entire sub-plot with my favorite Muppet - the gigantic bear Bobo - and it was just repeating the same non-gag three times with no payoff. The main story was about Fonzie being starstruck by motherfucking Jay Leno.

Weirdly, Gonzo has only appeared once, briefly.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:23 pm

On the other hand, Laurence Fishburne verbally abusing Kermit was pretty entertaining.

TA

Postby TA » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:40 pm

The new Muppets show is fantastic. Whoever had the idea of doing it as 30 Rock, they were a genius, because this is the perfect format for the characters.

They're pretty great with their use of guest stars, too.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:32 pm

It's a great idea for a show, it just sucks that the show itself isn't funny or good.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:38 pm

See, I probably fall somewhere between those extremes in my opinion of it. I think it's generally good and occasionally great, with an excellent premise and usually-good use of celebrity guest stars.

It's also still early in the run. The Office, 30 Rock, and Parks and Rec are all obvious points of comparison, and how different were their first half-dozen episodes from the rest of the run?

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:55 pm

Well, did the Big Bang Theory ever get better as it went on?

Feeling like the Muppets is gonna go that route.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:53 am

Mothra wrote:Well, did the Big Bang Theory ever get better as it went on?

Well, I can't argue with your opinion or your feelings, but I CAN point out that your logic is pretty terrible.

Obviously you're under no obligation to continue watching a show you don't like. But shows change. (Yes, including Big Bang Theory; you may not like it any better with three female leads than you did with one, but that is nonetheless a substantial change.) An initial half-dozen episodes, in and of themselves, are a poor predictor of what a series is going to develop into (especially if it's changing showrunners before the end of the first season). Some shows are great out the gate; some take awhile to find their footing; 90% of everything is crap.

I wouldn't put Muppets in the "crap" category, but I'd definitely put it in the "still figuring out what it wants to be" category. YMMV. Maybe it'll get better, maybe it won't, maybe some people will think it got better and others will think it didn't. I think it's pretty clear that I'm more willing to sit through a show I see potential in despite a rocky start than you are. There's nothing wrong with saying "Fuck this, I'm out" if a show doesn't grab you, but there's nothing wrong with saying "Okay, let's see where they're going with this," either. (And I expect I've got a lot more free time than you do, too.)

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:02 pm

Sure, maybe they'll get new writers and the show will pull a miraculous 180.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:47 pm

There's not really any "maybe" about new writers; the show's going to have a new showrunner in the spring, as I mentioned.

Most shows change significantly by the end of the first season even without new writers -- hell, pilot to second episode is often a big change (though it wasn't in this case, granted). It takes awhile for writers and cast to figure out what works and what doesn't. It's true that some shows are fully-formed out the gate (Gravity Falls, Fargo, True Detective), but they're the exception, and usually the result of a single creator with some kind of overarching vision, rather than episodic sitcoms.

Again, I'm not saying "Keep watching a thing you don't like because it's definitely going to get better;" that would be silly. I'm just saying you've drawn some pretty broad conclusions based on not a lot of input.

TA

Postby TA » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:37 pm

Tina Fey has spoken about how she doesn't like the 30 Rock pilot, and that it's a problem endemic to comedy pilots. You have to introduce the premise of the show, the characters, their interactions and unique things, have a plot, and also manage to be consistently funny throughout. Which is really hard! Starting with even the second episode, all those introduction hurdles are gone, and you can just focus on being funny.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:05 pm

I don't actually hate it so far. It's has had a few laugh out loud moments and that's more than I usually expect. My only concern is that in trying to make the characters more real or human they're more just sniping at each other and being kind of ugly. While the thing obviously hasn't gone full on Meet The Feebles, the characters seem a hell of a lot darker than I'd actually like. I mean, Kermit has always been a bit high strung. The OG Muppet Show usually saw him barely holding things together in the midst of chaos and some passive aggression inevitably leaked out, but in this one he's just fuckoff mean sometimes. If a situation cracked him before he just sort of had a general arm waving freak out directed at nobody in particular. Here he specifically targets individuals with his anger. His mocking "Animal have better idea?!" was fucking toe curling.

Hell, let's just make the show about his Lorne Michaels-esque descent into soullessness. I just want an episode where the frog sets up a whole show to fellate a right wing political candidate and Piggy finally snaps and walks off.

"You’ve got nothing left, Kermit! You’re nothing but a fucking shell with goo inside!"
"Are you on your period?"
[cue Miss Piggy Karate Rampage]

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:06 am

I haven't caught the last couple but I really liked the karaoke scene in (I think) episode 4; that felt more like classic Muppets than anything else I'd seen yet. And it gave Statler and Waldorf something to do in the B-story, which was fun.

But yeah that one really did lean heavily on Kermit being a total dick.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:55 am

Noah Hawley in charge of TV adaptation of Cat's Cradle.

Well, y'know, if somebody's going to adapt Cat's Cradle into another medium, it's hard to think of a better choice. Fargo's got just the right balance of bleak and hilarious.

TA

Postby TA » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:01 am

Board won't let me embed webms yet.

They've been doing some weird gags with Marge's hair recently. I can't recall this being a thing before.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:15 am

Well, only as far back as the first episode (where she kept a jar of money in it).

Rico

Postby Rico » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:19 am

Season 4.

TA

Postby TA » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:02 am

Hiding something in your hair is different than raising and lowering it with a jack.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:43 am

Not watching every episode of Colbert anymore, but usually catch a few a week. I skip the opening monologue, and every time he does that fucking Hunger Games segment where he for some reason dresses up like Stanley Tucci to do an impression of Elizabeth Banks.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:21 am

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:12 am

I'll say one thing about Supergirl: it just pulled off a pretty sharp long con on fans who are familiar with some of DC's more obscure characters. (Link is to ComicsAlliance; I've munged it through TinyURL because CA put the spoiler right in the URL.)

More specifically, by introducing Hank Henshaw in the first episode, they had anyone who knows who that is naturally assuming he was evil. And then, a couple of weeks ago, they started hinting at Hank's cyborg powers; his eyes glowed red and he dismantled a bomb using super strength.

It was a really nice bit of misdirection, because in last night's episode it turned out it's not Hank Henshaw at all, it's J'onn J'onnz impersonating Hank Henshaw. So of course the same fans who instantly knew Hank Henshaw was a villain because they know who that is now immediately and implicitly trust him, because they know who J'onn J'onnz is, too.

For a show that's going pretty hard for a mainstream audience that doesn't know a whole lot about DC lore (as opposed to Arrow and, especially, Flash -- and really even Gotham, all of which enjoy their deep cuts), this twist really was targeted pretty squarely at fans who recognize some of DC's more obscure names.

(I mean, J'onn's been on everything from Justice League to Smallville to Young Justice, so he's not nearly as obscure as he used to be -- in fact, I'd say he's now the third most recognizable character on the show, after Supergirl and Jimmy Olsen. But he's still less recognizable than B-listers like Aquaman and the Green Arrow. And I think it's absolutely fair to call Hank Henshaw an obscure character.)