MST3K, Rifftrax, & sundry

Thad

Re: MST3K, Rifftrax, & sundry

Postby Thad » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:57 pm

Season 12 confirmed.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:48 am

I finished the new season. I feel like they were really clicking at the end there, like the growing pains were starting to resolve -- they weren't trying to cram quite so many riffs in, and I could tell Baron and Jonah's voices apart. I'm interested in seeing where they go from here.

Meanwhile, Rifftrax has its annual Kickstarter going; this year's live shows will be Space Mutiny and Krull.

Kick in at $1 and you get at least two shorts; they'll add another one every 200 backers, up to 10.

IF WE REACH... YOU'LL GET
3700 Backers - Get That Job (UNLOCKED)
3900 Backers - Overcoming Fear (UNLOCKED)
4100 Backers - Farm Family in Summer
4300 Backers - Batman Trapped!
4500 Backers - Jimmy of the Safety Patrol
4700 Backers - Courtesy: A Good Eggsample
4900 Backers - Busy Bodies
5100 Backers - The Maturing Woman
5300 Backers - Say No to Strangers
5500 Backers - At Your Fingertips: Play Clay

They're currently at 4,026, with 18 days left to go, so it's reasonable to assume they'll unlock a couple more on that list before this is over.

(And in case you've already bought any of those, you'll get a $1 credit for each one you already have.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:19 am

Netflix just added a dozen episodes to its MST3K classics.

The episodes are still listed in a completely baffling and inexplicable order. It's not chronological, it's not based on popularity (Manos is in between Girl in Gold Boots and Catalina Caper), it doesn't alternate Joel-Mike-Joel-Mike, and it doesn't follow the order of the DVD releases, so my current working theory is that the episodes are sorted based on the "nobody gave a fuck" algorithm.

Regardless, there's some good shit in there. And given that there are nearly 200 episodes in the original series, there are still a lot of them I haven't seen. And of course thanks to the constant churn of movie rights, the list of legally-available episodes is constantly in flux, so watch 'em while you can.

(On the subject of not-legally-available episodes, has anyone ever managed to find a rip of the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD? I've looked but I've only ever found crummy VHS rips. ...shit, I bet I've still got a VHS copy around here somewhere; I should see if mine's in any better shape than the digital copies I've seen up to this point.

Same with Fire Maidens from Outer Space and anything else I've got that's not commercially available. I should really go through these tapes before they deteriorate completely.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:21 pm

The Rifftrax Kickstarter ends tomorrow. $1 will get you all ten of the shorts listed two posts up.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:07 am

372 Pages We'll Never Get Back is basically a Rifftrax Book Club podcast, wherein Conor Lastowka and Mike Nelson read and discuss a book. Season 1 is Ready Player One.

I've listened to the intro episode and Episode 1, and I think I'll stick with it even though I haven't read the book and have no intention of doing so. I think I'd probably get more out of it if I'd actually read it, but their summaries and excerpts are enough to follow along.

I have also learned that my dog does not give a fuck when people on the car stereo say her name.

(My dog's name is Artemis.)