Game of Thrones: The TV Show

Thad

Game of Thrones: The TV Show

Postby Thad » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:17 am

This show, you guys. You guys, this show.

Highlights:

Tyrion and Dorian Oberyn. Oh man that there is some serious foreshadowing.

Ser Dontos. I am surprised this subplot picked back up; I figured they would just drop it.

Arya and the Hound's scene at the end. Marvelous example of changing the dialogue from the book while keeping the scene pretty much exactly intact.

Brienne and Jaime. Nuff said.

-- for an alternative viewpoint: Thad's dog reviews Game of Thrones, Season 4, Episode 1 --

i do not like this show. 1st thing on show is dead dog. last thing on show is screaming & loud noises.
i sleep for most of show because it is just human making lots and lots and lots and lots of human sounds at each other but ending make me scared. i look sideways at man now. maybe he will poke me with sharp thing & set me on fire? why he watch this show.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Re: Game of Thrones: The TV Show

Postby Joxam » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:47 am

I read from cast interviews that this season is going to be the one that starts to get away from the books so that, when they catch up (if they catch up) they can keep going. Not sure what that means for the plot at this point but the show is looking good. Dragon lady continues to be the weakest story. I so WANT to care about her story but the rest of the show has SO MUCH other shit going on that when you get to her its like, "Oh, she's still walking across the desert freeing everyone, just like the last season and change."

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:58 pm

-- for an alternative viewpoint: Thad's dog reviews Game of Thrones, Season 4, Episode 1 --

i do not like this show. 1st thing on show is dead dog. last thing on show is screaming & loud noises.
i sleep for most of show because it is just human making lots and lots and lots and lots of human sounds at each other but ending make me scared. i look sideways at man now. maybe he will poke me with sharp thing & set me on fire? why he watch this show.

this is the best thing you've ever written except for Thad Libs
ImageImageImage

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:26 pm

Thad please provide us with your dog's review of each episode he cares to watch as they happen.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:45 am

We'll see if she inspires me again. If I force it it'll drain all the funny right out.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:05 pm

Caught the latest. Good, but slow.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:10 pm

Joxam wrote:I read from cast interviews that this season is going to be the one that starts to get away from the books so that, when they catch up (if they catch up) they can keep going. Not sure what that means for the plot at this point but the show is looking good.

Haven't seen much of that yet -- what I HAVE seen is the show picking up subplots it had dropped. I already mentioned Ser Dontos; we also saw Janos Slynt again this week. Remember Janos Slynt? He speared Ned in the back during the confrontation with Jaime, leading to everything that's happened since; Tyrion sent him to the Wall for murdering babies (and also because the Hand of the King has a vested interest in not keeping the guy who stabbed the last Hand in the back around). Now he's buddied up with the evil drill sergeant and the two of them don't like Jon Snow very much; that's a pretty big conflict in the books but I didn't figure we'd see much of it in the show.

Which brings us to:

Dragon lady continues to be the weakest story. I so WANT to care about her story but the rest of the show has SO MUCH other shit going on that when you get to her its like, "Oh, she's still walking across the desert freeing everyone, just like the last season and change."

And see, Dany's story is compelling as hell in the books, but it really doesn't translate well to the screen. Jon's got that same problem coming up -- yes, we've got a pretty badass showdown with the Wildlings coming, but after that the conflict turns more talky for awhile.

There's a lot of that coming. The world is big and a lot of the major cast is about to do some traveling. And some of them are going to be cooling their heels in captivity for awhile (Theon isn't even in the third or fourth book -- though half the cast isn't in the fourth book; that's where Martin starts splitting it up by character instead of by chronological order).

The biggest departure from the books: boy, that guy sure seemed to be implying that Cersei had an abortion, didn't he? That seems pretty uncharacteristic for TV Cersei. Although -- spoiler for the first book(?) that was explicitly contradicted in the TV version -- Cersei reveals that she terminated a pregnancy by Robert in the books, TV Cersei told a much more sympathetic story of losing her firstborn to illness. Of course, it could all be a red herring and they were referring to something else.

I'd really like to see Rickon and Osha's story play out a bit. That's one of the subplots the books have back-burnered and probably the one I'm most interested in seeing. There's potential in Gendry's story, too, which has now diverged from how things went in the books.

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Having watched yesterday's episode: About damn time.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:04 pm

Hahahahaha.

book spoiler: "War is war, but killing a man at a wedding ... horrid. What sort of monster would do such a thing?"

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:09 pm

So I caught Olenna taking the tear of lys from Sansa's necklace but not spiking the wine

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:06 pm

I feel like we should separately mark "last night's show spoilers" versus "stuff from later in the books that pertains to last night's show spoilers".

Anyway, the latter: I didn't catch the latter, but I did notice that Joffrey gave his goblet to Margaery to hold while he opened up the pie, and that was the same cup Tyrion picked up and brought him. Soo...

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:21 am

Grath wrote:So I caught Olenna taking the tear of lys from Sansa's necklace but not spiking the wine

Ah, here's someone detailing the how of the poisoning. Obviously, spoilers for who all dunnit.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:44 pm

-- Thad's Dog Reviews Game of Thrones Season 4, Episode 2: The Lion and the Rose --

Man say "Hey Art, it is time for Game of Thrones."

Yay! I love Game of Thrones! It is my favorite game, except for maybe Game of Fetch, and Game of Chase Cat, and Game of Run in Circles Very Fast, and Game of Chase Imaginary Cat.

So I jump up on man's chair and when he tells me to move I don't move, and when he tries to move me I bite him.

He says, "Dog, that is not Game of Thrones, it is just biting."

I am disappointed to learn that Game of Thrones is not what I thought it was, Game of Thrones is actually that Loud Rectangle thing from earlier.

I guess this episode is better than the last episode? It has angry dogs who bite humans. I not like that part so much; it is scary. When I bite man it is just for fun and he not scream so much.

I do like the part later in the episode where white dog eats deer. Haha! Fuck you, deer.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:11 pm

Yessssssssssssssss

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:11 pm

Game of Bones

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:23 pm

Yeah so... I gotta agree with Constantine that holy god was the latest scene between Cersei and Jaime over the line. Apparently it wasn't even in the books.

What the fuck.

ocksi

Postby ocksi » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:42 pm

In the books (from Jaime's POV), she still repeatedly refuses him during that scene. He starts despite her protests and she eventually (apparently? again, Jaime's POV) enjoys it.

Romosome

Postby Romosome » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:11 am

Yeah, there's been much to do about this on the internet and "it wasn't in the books" or "it was consensual in the books"

Someone posted a snippet of what was in the books, and they could have taken it out of context. But I think the people saying that Cersei "pounding her feeble fists against his chest" was totally fine and consensual are more deplorable than the show creators they're criticizing.

Niku

Postby Niku » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:44 am

My main problem with that scene was that it felt completely tonally off. It did not feel like either character was acting like themselves, and not in a good "their lives have been irreparably altered" sort of way. I think people bandying about the term character assassination to refer to it are being kind of hyperbolic, but only because we haven't seen the fallout yet -- this could be a super bad and frustrating turn predicated on what feels like a scene made entirely because Image

ocksi

Postby ocksi » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:49 am

Right, there's also a line about how she's protesting and he doesn't hear it which is fairly telling. It was brutal to watch the scene and I'm not sure it was entirely necessary, but anybody on the "it was consensual in the books" or "Jaime's now irredeemable THANKS SHOW WRITERS" didn't pay attention to the scene in the book, forgot that this isn't the first awful thing Jaime's done in the name of taking Cersei to the bone zone, and thought he was still redeemable after his attempted child murder.