Game of Thrones: The TV Show

Thad

Re: Game of Thrones: The TV Show

Postby Thad » Wed May 14, 2014 2:11 pm

zaratustra wrote:You think threatening to kill Tyrion if she doesn't testify wouldn't work?

I think it's the likeliest explanation but it's also (1) redundant given the scene with Jaime and Tywin and (2) a pretty weird catch-22 (she's helping to make Tyrion's conviction a certainty because she thinks that makes him LESS likely to be executed?).

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed May 14, 2014 8:01 pm

George R.R. Martin only writes on a DOS machine, as the elders did

Makes sense -- as we all know, word processors peaked in the late 1980's.

I also feel validated in hearing that he has the same feelings on spellcheck and autocorrect as I do.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu May 15, 2014 2:42 pm

Spoilers:

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Thu May 15, 2014 7:38 pm

i rewatched the episode with the rape and while i have boring opinions about it just like the rest of the internet i was surprised to find the greatest disappointment for me was that cersei did not accidentally pull her son's corpse down on top of them

also, re: the past two weeks, maybe it's me but drawing the curtains on The Money is the most interesting turn the show's taken in a while and i hope Martin does more with the Iron Bank

Kayma

Postby Kayma » Fri May 16, 2014 12:50 am

I feel like a crazy person when I watch this show. It's been so long since I read the books that I feel like my memories are being re fucking written when I watch something's that's been changed. Mind wipe, eternal sunshine, Jesus damn

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri May 16, 2014 12:39 pm

pacobird wrote:also, re: the past two weeks, maybe it's me but drawing the curtains on The Money is the most interesting turn the show's taken in a while and i hope Martin does more with the Iron Bank

Yeah, definitely. How the Iron Bank works, what it wants, how powerful it is, how it was founded, where it gets its money from... it's all pretty much the most interesting part of the GoT universe right now, politically speaking.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri May 16, 2014 1:20 pm

Yeah, I thought the Iron Bank scene was the best of the episode, and that's saying something when you consider the episode ended with Dinklage's "for your consideration" reel.

I mean, I'm sure part of it is that I just love Gatiss's sarcastic douchebag character and was absolutely tickled to see him pop up in such an unexpected place. And part of it's probably that any new material is bound to get my attention in ways that stuff I already know about isn't.

But the Iron Bank and its money and power loom large over the series and it's extremely satisfying to see a little bit more of how they actually operate. Mycroft responding to Stannis's bluster about being the only true heir by dryly noting that the only histories the Iron Bank cares about are the ones counted in figures -- that was gold*. And then Davos's speech encapsulated exactly who he is and exactly who Stannis is. Tywin Lannister may always pay his debts, but how often does he have a man's fingers cut off and then have the man turn around and deliver an impassioned speech about his undying loyalty?

The reveal that the Lannister mines have gone dry is a pretty big deal too. I forget if that's mentioned in the books or not -- certainly a good big chunk of Cersei's arc in books 4 and 5 is about (minor book spoiler) her continuing loss of control over events and the Lannisters beginning to lose their advantage. There's a lot they can do with that while increasing the Iron Bank's prominence in the story.

* EDIT: Ew, gross, sorry. The phrase "no pun intended" gets thrown around a lot, but really, that was entirely accidental.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri May 16, 2014 6:26 pm

obviously the iron bank is run by goblins

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Fri May 16, 2014 6:47 pm

time is money, mhysa

(sidebar: i forget who and where it was but one time somebody referred to warcraft goblins as "rootless goblipolitans" which is oh my god)

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri May 16, 2014 11:05 pm

zaratustra wrote:obviously the iron bank is run by goblins

I was thinking gnomes.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat May 17, 2014 10:19 am

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sun May 18, 2014 4:24 pm

wA defense of Sansa Stark

The writer assumes people dislike Sansa Stark because she's a female in a more traditional role. I don't think that's true, as there are a few other women in GoT that haven't grabbed a sword and yet are perfectly amenable characters.

The problem is that she's an extremely passive character that has had no remarkable character moments and basically no agency, and is just led around like a somewhat-mobile trading chit.

What I'm saying is, Sansa Stark is the Kim Bauer of GoT.

Kayma

Postby Kayma » Sun May 18, 2014 6:27 pm

Sansa's portrayal in the show has definitely led me to like her more. I did find her kind of irksome in the books, but I think the reality is that she probably behaves exactly like someone in her upbringing and circumstance would behave.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue May 20, 2014 10:52 pm

-- Thad's Dog Reviews Game of Thrones, Season 4, Episode 7: Mockingbird --

HORSES!

This episode make me sleepy like most episode. Then HORSES! I love horses!

One time I saw horses for real. I ran through pointy fence and cut my face and foot up. Man was angry and tried to make me stop run through pointy fence, but I kept running through pointy fence! Horses seem kind of angry too? Then I chase cows. It was fun but man shout at me and put me on leash. He not let me off leash anymore.

Also I like Spanish man.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue May 20, 2014 11:43 pm

This WAS a pretty horse-heavy episode.

Also: This was an excellent episode.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed May 21, 2014 1:56 pm

Yeah, I brought her out of retirement because I have never seen her so rapt by the show except when she's been agitated by all the screaming and snarling. She really loved those horses. (And Oberyn Martell.)

Watching TV with a dog is edifying. I can't tell the difference between a real animal noise and Frank Welker making an animal noise, but she can.

zaratustra wrote:wA defense of Sansa Stark

The writer assumes people dislike Sansa Stark because she's a female in a more traditional role. I don't think that's true, as there are a few other women in GoT that haven't grabbed a sword and yet are perfectly amenable characters.

The problem is that she's an extremely passive character that has had no remarkable character moments and basically no agency, and is just led around like a somewhat-mobile trading chit.

She's terribly unlikable in the first book because not only is she the most naive Stark (and they're ALL pretty naive), she's the one who fucks everything up. She fucks up her own escape by running to Cersei. If she hadn't done that...well, we'll come back to that in a minute.

She becomes a lot more likable, albeit very much a pitiable character, in the later books as her illusions are stripped away and she becomes a prisoner. She still doesn't quite outgrow her childish beliefs -- in the books the Ser Dontos plot plays out over a much longer period of time, and her head is filled with her usual romantic foolishness about how noble he's being -- but she learns some hard damn lessons.

I've said before that there are interesting parallels between Sansa and Joffrey -- each in their own way, they're children who are acting out what they think real life is supposed to be like because of the stories they were told as children. But they were told very different stories by very different families.

There's also a parallel between Sansa and Theon -- she doesn't suffer the same direct physical abuse that he does, and she isn't so traumatized that she completely submerges her own persona -- but she IS beaten and psychologically tortured, and she DOES learn in pretty short order that she has to lie about what she's thinking.

It's not an accident that in the fourth and fifth books Sansa's and Theon's chapters are headed "Alayne" and "Reek". They've both had to assume new identities. But there's a pretty significant difference: Sansa is acting, Theon isn't. Sansa is pretending to be Alayne, but Theon has actually BECOME Reek.

I also think that the "If only she hadn't gone to Cersei..." backlash from the first book starts to subside as the story progresses, because it's entirely possible that things would have been equally fucked up, or worse, no matter what she'd done. Would she and Arya really have gotten back to Winterfell safely? Maybe. But what then? Would Catelyn have returned to join them? If so, I can't imagine things ending well for any of them following Theon's invasion and Ramsay's subsequent takeover.

Ned and Robb would still be dead. Ned just would have died in a cell instead of in a public execution. I see no reason why the Red Wedding would have gone any differently (though the timing is tricky here -- if she had turned around to go back to Winterfell before Robb made it to the Twins, she wouldn't have been able to arrange the marriage in the first place -- and Robb would have been stymied). Lord Karstark would likely have killed Jaime Lannister in his cell, which would have further destabilized both the Kingsguard and the Lannister family.

Basically, Sansa fucked up, but over time it becomes pretty clear that a bunch of terrible things were going to happen to her and to her family (and to everybody else) no matter what she did.

I'd say I came to like Sansa in the books in pretty short order. I'm sure that informed my read on her in the show, but I also think the show's done a generally good job of fleshing out the less likable/relatable characters (Cersei is the best example).

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Wed May 21, 2014 2:57 pm

i think it's important to remember that GoT is at least partially conceived as a send-up/critique of standard post-LoTR fantasy tropes and it's most readily apparent with the Starks themselves, the idyllic, noble world they created for themselves in Winterfell, and how they're increasingly degraded by their interactions with the rest of the world. It's not a coincidence that Martin chose to open the whole story with the Court visiting Winterfell.

So here's Sansa, the Damsel in Distress; she can't be less passive (even if it would make the character more interesting) because then she'd fall away from the (super gross, to be sure) archetype and she'd lose her purpose as a character.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed May 21, 2014 4:14 pm

But unlike the archetypical Damsel in Distress, no one's coming to save her. She's going to have to evolve or die.

As a trope, I think it's safe to say she's served her purpose at this point and there's nowhere for her to go but to find a new trope. She's already subverted all three of the major story plots as observed by Heinlein (Boy Meets Girl, Brave Little Tailor, Man Learns Lesson), and she's wound up in as cliche a place as a damsel in distress can possibly be (top of a tower).

Littlefinger hasn't saved her, exactly, but she's in less immediate physical peril than she was in King's Landing. She's got more time to think, and I think she's imminently going to realize that nobody can help her now but herself.

Vague book spoiler: I don't think it's a coincidence that the last time we saw her in the books, she was starting to climb down out of the Eyrie. Yes, she's still a prisoner -- but that's a pretty clear metaphor right there.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Wed May 21, 2014 9:19 pm

Thad wrote:But unlike the archetypical Damsel in Distress, no one's coming to save her. She's going to have to evolve or die.

Yeah, that's the critique: the Handsome Prince doesn't come to bail you out IRL (he is too busy murdering prostitutes with a crossbow), but even that's a Disney set-up. Martin's point is that Sansa's been trained to be this way; she might understand intellectually that she needs to start looking out for herself a little more but has no idea where to start with that.

As a trope, I think it's safe to say she's served her purpose at this point and there's nowhere for her to go but to find a new trope. She's already subverted all three of the major story plots as observed by Heinlein (Boy Meets Girl, Brave Little Tailor, Man Learns Lesson), and she's wound up in as cliche a place as a damsel in distress can possibly be (top of a tower).

It might also be fair to say Martin has no idea either. There may be something to the criticism that he only had two books in him.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri May 23, 2014 3:36 pm

io9: Meet The New Characters Who Will Join Game Of Thrones In Season 5

Pretty spoiler-free if you've caught up on the show; you'll get more out of it if you've read the books and know who these characters are.

Very Dorne-centric. There's a hell of a lot of Dorne stuff in the next two books and I reasonably assumed it would be one of the first things on the chopping block; I expect that the coming seasons won't be as ruthless in excising unnecessary material as the first few were, for the simple reason that otherwise we're going to catch up with the books pretty soon.

Meanwhile, in the current season: three episodes left. I expect we'll see trial by combat, the attack on the Wall, and then an episode mopping up. The mopping up will presumably bring Tyrion, Jon, Arya, and Davos to their respective positions from the end of book 3, and probably advance Dany and Theon's original-to-the-show subplots. And speaking of Theon, hey, we haven't checked in at the Iron Islands all season; wonder what's happening up there?

I expect it'll end with the same scene as the book, too, with a possible change of cast. I've seen some theorizing that Brienne will meet Stoneheart sooner in the show than in the books and I think that's a good idea.