DC Animation

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: DC Animation

Postby Mothra » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:52 am

Bal wrote:Gods and Monsters is pretty cool. Turns out it's not really about a dark justice league (rightly sited as overdone), it's more about a darker everyone else. Yeah, the JL aren't the JL we know, but they're the least of the problem. I like the universe, and I hope we get a follow-up.

Gonna agree. Just saw it yesterday and it was a lot less grimdark than I was expecting. I honestly would love to see more, as it's basically a version of the Justice League in a less stable world.

We basically see how the DCAU would look of the countless crises they were faced with had been dealt with by less idealistic people. Wonder Woman's new back story, in particular, I really like. She is a very different person for it.

Healy

Postby Healy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:17 pm

Sven on Return of Talking Time found this image (look at the far right picture):

Personally I'm not getting my hopes up too much, but a new series would be nice.

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:23 pm

Wow, it took this fucking thing to finally do a redesign of Harley Quinn that I actually sorta like.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:17 pm

Only one pair of jorts and some sleeves stand in the way of a full circle return to her spandex jester suit.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:13 pm

Finally got around to watching Gods and Monsters, and while yeah it STILL seems needlessly violent, and does the whole lazy "it's a parallel universe so let's just kill a bunch of characters because we can" schtick, it was also pretty well-thought-out. The characters resonated as sharing some core element of their namesakes, the central murder mystery was solid, and the New Gods sequence was excellent even as it was jarring as fuck.

I don't suppose I'd mind seeing more of this universe, though I can't say I'd look forward to it as much as, say, the upcoming Batman '66 animated movie.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:01 pm

Hey, Cyborg's a Titan again.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:08 pm

Look I ain't sold until I have PROOF Beast Boy and Raven totally make out in this one

Rico

Postby Rico » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:38 am

That trailer mostly just makes me sad Young Justice didn't get a couple more seasons.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:34 pm

What's Weisman up to these days, anyway? Is the Kanan: The Last Padawan comic still running? Anybody read it; is it any good? I thumbed through a couple issues but didn't care for the art so I haven't picked it up.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:12 am

Justice League Action cartoon coming; looks like they're following the Teen Titans Go format of a kid-friendly series with 11-minute episodes. Conroy and Hamill are returning as Batman and the Joker, Bader is playing Booster Gold, and James Woods is playing Luthor.

Here's the poster:

That looks like (from top left) Hawkman, Green Arrow, Zatanna, Harley, Plastic Man, the Question, not sure, not sure but maybe Lois Lane, Shazam, Flash, Vixen, one or two obscured characters, Blue Beetle, Darkseid, Cheetah, Deadshot, Martian Manhunter or maybe Deadman, somebody standing behind Superman's crotch, Felix Faust, somebody with a mohawk, and Killer Frost.

Definitely a bit of a TB&TB vibe going on here; I'm hoping Tom Kenny will be back as Plas, and I'd love to see John DiMaggio take another turn as Aquaman.

Healy

Postby Healy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:59 pm

I see a lot of people complaining that it doesn't look like it'll be a serious DC show, whatever the hell that means. Like, if it doesn't resemble B:TAS enough it's just gonna be jokey, "kid-friendly" trash. Personally I'm taking a wait-and-see approach with this; I'm not too sold on the character designs, but then Bruce Timm-styled artwork (which I think is what they're going for here) tends to look better in motion. The 11-minute runtime doesn't worry me at all; Adventure Time and Steven Universe have shown that you can get some great mileage out of it. Besides, even if it is just goofy nonsense, Brave and the Bold have shown it can work. I know I wouldn't mind something simple to watch in between my Steven Universe related crying jags.

Regarding the promo pic, that leftmost guy in the second row is too not-faceless to be the Question. And I think mohawk guy is OMAC. Or maybe Firestorm? I can't tell.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:37 am

If the person immediately below Green Arrow isn't Virman Vundabar, I'll eat my wig.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:47 pm

Healy wrote:I see a lot of people complaining that it doesn't look like it'll be a serious DC show, whatever the hell that means. Like, if it doesn't resemble B:TAS enough it's just gonna be jokey, "kid-friendly" trash. Personally I'm taking a wait-and-see approach with this; I'm not too sold on the character designs, but then Bruce Timm-styled artwork (which I think is what they're going for here) tends to look better in motion. The 11-minute runtime doesn't worry me at all; Adventure Time and Steven Universe have shown that you can get some great mileage out of it. Besides, even if it is just goofy nonsense, Brave and the Bold have shown it can work. I know I wouldn't mind something simple to watch in between my Steven Universe related crying jags.

Yeah, I've been listening to people whine about how the next ____ cartoon is going to suck since The Batman. (Which, okay, kinda sucked for its first season or two. But after that it was really good!) People are still wailing and gnashing their teeth about the cancellation of Green Lantern, Young Justice, and The Brave and the Bold -- three cartoons they all preemptively hated when they were first announced.

Healy wrote:Regarding the promo pic, that leftmost guy in the second row is too not-faceless to be the Question.

There have been a lot of artists over the years who've drawn Vic's mask so that you can see the outline of his eyes, nose, and mouth under it.

Here are a few pics from his recent (New 52) appearances:

(via ComicVine)

(via The Mary Sue)

(via Comic Newbies)

But that's not a new thing. Here are some from the excellent Question miniseries back in '04, as drawn by Tommy Lee Edwards (both via ComicVine):

And here's one from all the way back to Ditko (via ComicsAlliance):

That said: the character on the poster is not wearing a fedora.

Healy wrote:And I think mohawk guy is OMAC. Or maybe Firestorm? I can't tell.

Hair looks more like OMAC, costume looks more like Firestorm. Hard to say.

Büge wrote:If the person immediately below Green Arrow isn't Virman Vundabar, I'll eat my wig.

Sounds right.

Healy

Postby Healy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:10 am

That lack of fedora on whatsisname is pretty glaring, I'd say. Maybe it's supposed to be Bullock.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:27 am

Seems a little thin for Bullock, but (1) we can't see his midsection in that shot and (2) if they can make Amanda Waller skinny, they can make anybody skinny.

But Bullock also wears a fedora.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:55 am

I bet the one between Felix Faust and Killer Frost is Steppenwolf, rocking that Kirby uniform and woodsman's hat.

Healy

Postby Healy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:42 pm

Thad wrote:Seems a little thin for Bullock, but (1) we can't see his midsection in that shot and (2) if they can make Amanda Waller skinny, they can make anybody skinny.

But Bullock also wears a fedora.

Oh! Now I know who that guy's supposed to be. Dan Turpin.

Rico

Postby Rico » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:53 pm

I'd also accept Slam Bradley. Is he still around these days or was that just during the Brubaker era?

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:52 am

I could see Turpin, given the other Fourth World characters.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:15 pm

:fukyes:

This looks basically perfect. Like, Batman: The Brave and the Bold perfect.