Friday

Re: DC Animation

Postby Friday » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:24 am

But man, what a heavy price we paid for it
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:50 am

Weisman and Vietti confirmed returning, which is probably the most important part.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:16 am

Sooo it's pretty much The Brave and the Bold, which leads me to ask rhetorically why they cancelled The Brave and the Bold in the first place. But nice to have Conroy and Hamill back. (And I'm pretty sure I heard Tom Kenny as Plastic Man in an earlier spot. And IMDB says Josh Keaton's back as GL, though grain of salt for any IMDB pages for shows that haven't premiered yet.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:33 am

Watched the first two episodes. They were pretty okay. Not enough Batman.

And they seem to be airing out of sequence. At the end of the first episode, Batman makes a reference to escapees from the Rock of Eternity, as if that's something we're supposed to know about; this matches the description of the first episode on The TV DB but not the first episode that actually aired.

Second episode features Patton Oswalt as Space Cabbie, which is amazing.

At least, I think it was Patton Oswalt. I don't know for sure, because -- most bafflingly of all -- both episodes have the wrong credits. Somebody stuck the old Justice League cartoon's credits on the end of them, somehow. Like, how does that even happen? I mean, I assume they must have just clicked on the wrong "Justice League" file, but what were the credits from a show from fifteen years ago doing on the same computer that was putting together the new series?

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:32 am

p. sure those aren't official release episodes.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:51 am

That would explain a lot, but I'm not sure why a bootlegger would add the CN logo in the corner for the whole episode and then splitscreen an ad for Adventure Time coming up next at the end.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:31 am

Weisman suggests Arrowette is a new character. I assumed she was Artemis with a new name and costume (since she alluded to trying a new identity at the end of season 2).

Rico

Postby Rico » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:35 am

They easter-egged Arrowette as a little girl way back at the end of S1, apparently.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:51 pm

Finally got around to watching the Young Justice premier. Which puts me 12 episodes behind, but damn it, I'm going to savor this thing as the previous finite resource that it is. (Though from what I'm seeing about the ratings, season 4 is looking a lot likelier than season 3 did).

Weisman's still got it; the show hasn't skipped a beat. And its roster continues to be interesting -- sure, Batwoman and Hardware only appear as holograms and don't have any lines, but still, it's Batwoman and Hardware!

I'm a little disappointed that Glorious Godfrey has been recast. James Arnold Taylor does a fine job (and a decent impression of Tim Curry -- I was just listening to JAT on Talkin Toons discussing his role doing an impression of Ewan McGregor doing an impression of Alec Guinness on Clone Wars), but man, Curry's sure working a lot less since his stroke. I hope that's because he's 72 years old and ready to retire, and not because his health is interfering with his ability to do voice work.

But aside from Curry's absence, man, this sure is the show I remember. Old characters, new characters, a million things happening for reasons that aren't clear yet...and oh my God did they just twist the knife and do a Jurassic Bark scene over the credits? Oh my God they DID.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:58 am

Justice League vs. The Fatal Five, starring Conroy, Eisenberg, and Newbern.

It's not quite the full Justice League reunion that people have been pushing for, but this certainly feels like a step along the way to it.

There's also an animated version of Batman/TMNT coming, with Troy Baker reprising both the roles of Batman (who he played in the Telltale series) and the Joker (who he played in Arkham Origins), and Baron Vaughn (the current Tom Servo) as Donatello.

More at Comics Beat, though it's mostly just excerpts from the WonderCon event schedule.

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:16 am

Thad wrote:There's also an animated version of Batman/TMNT coming, with Troy Baker reprising both the roles of Batman (who he played in the Telltale series) and the Joker (who he played in Arkham Origins), and Baron Vaughn (the current Tom Servo) as Donatello.

AND Rachel Bloom as Batgirl. Which doesn't guarantee a musical number, but there should be one.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:03 am

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:28 pm

Justice League vs The Fatal Five was real enjoyable. It's nothing mind-blowing, but it's got some great new characters done well.

It's basically a lost, particularly good two-parter JLU episode.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:48 pm

Büge wrote:[Talkin Toons video]

Oh yeah, listened to that awhile back and meant to recommend it; thanks.

My one gripe about the LotR bit at the end was whoever transcribed the script really should have put a proper direction after "Then what are we waiting for?" If anything calls for a Hawkgirl battle yell, it's that moment.

Mothra wrote:Justice League vs The Fatal Five was real enjoyable. It's nothing mind-blowing, but it's got some great new characters done well.

Ordered it sight unseen, because Timm says that the odds of us ever getting that JL reunion movie pretty much hang on how well this one sells.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:10 pm

Thad wrote:
Mothra wrote:Justice League vs The Fatal Five was real enjoyable. It's nothing mind-blowing, but it's got some great new characters done well.

Ordered it sight unseen, because Timm says that the odds of us ever getting that JL reunion movie pretty much hang on how well this one sells.

Ordered, thanks for pointing that out.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:03 am

BTW here's my source for that:

And the Adventure Continues—Talking with the Cast & Crew of JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. THE FATAL FIVE

Taimur Dar wrote:Even Timm admitted that the likelihood of any more JL related projects is based on the success of Justice League vs. The Fatal Five.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:02 am

My copy came today.

I quite liked it!

While it's nice having the Big Three back, this is really a story about Jessica Cruz (who has PTSD) and Starboy (who's schizophrenic). I thought this was a rather nice approach, as the superhero genre has some real problems with its portrayal of mental illness, and it's nice to see some mentally ill characters who are heroes instead of villains for a change.

Something I found jarring, and this has been pretty common on back to when the line first started with Superman: Doomsday, or maybe even back to Return of the Joker: they really want that PG-13 rating, and they make sure they get it. While seeing Starboy's bare ass is funny, the violence and PG-13 cursing always feel kind of out-of-place. I haven't forgotten that JL/U could be violent and disturbing at times (the parallel Earth where Superman kills Luthor and then lobotomizes everyone in Arkham with his heat vision; the messed-up timeline where Terry gets fucking quartered), we never quite saw anything like Superman lying in a pool of his own blood, or Jessica watching her friends executed gangland-style ("well that seems like a gratuitously violent origin storoh, right, she's a Geoff Johns character"). There are times when it just feels out-of-place considering it's based on a kids' show. It's not like it's Killing Joke or anything (which I never saw, but I know what happens), but still.

Those gripes aside, though, I thought it was good-to-great. Seeing as a full-on series doesn't appear to be in the cards, I'd sure like to see more movies like this.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:26 am

I also bought the complete Batman: TAS on Blu-Ray. I've seen some gripes about the packaging on the Collector's Edition set, but they appear to have been resolved on the standard version.

The most immediately obvious thing is, boy, this sure frees up a lot of shelf space; it replaces my four-volume-plus-two-movies DVD collection and takes up about as much space as one of those sets. (Mystery of the Batwoman is not included, presumably because nobody cares about Mystery of the Batwoman. I remember I liked Rupert Thorne's role in it and not much else.)

I watched The Laughing Fish and god damn, Batman: TAS has never looked or sounded this good. It's scanned from film, so you'll occasionally see some specks of dust on the print. I also noticed some shimmer in one spot. The audio hasn't been upmixed to 5.1, but it's uncompressed stereo; I was having some ear trouble when I watched it but it sure sounded nice as far as I could tell. There are some imperfections, but it's well worth the upgrade. (Plus now I can give the DVDs to my nephew.)

So that's Batman and Justice League/Unlimited on Blu-Ray. It'd sure be nice if we got Superman and Batman Beyond, too, but hard to say with the home video market being what it is today. (I'm not holding my breath for Static Shock on Blu-Ray; frankly we're lucky it even got released on DVD.)

Bal

Postby Bal » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:46 am

SHIT. I guess it's time to replace my Batman and Justice League DVDs. I do wish I could just tune in to some streaming service that was just ThingsYouOwnPhysically, because I am definitely 100% over fiddling with physical media to watch something.