Free and Cheap Comics

Thad

Re: Free and Cheap Comics

Postby Thad » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:10 pm

IDW Bundle has The Maxx, The Comic Book History of Comics, and some other good stuff.

Remember, if you want Locke and Key, Parker, or 30 Days of Night, hit me up; I've got extra copies from that Groupees bundle that I can gift.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:08 pm

Humble Bloom County Bundle! $15 will get you the complete Boom County, including Outland, Opus, and the new series. Plus Breathed's college strip, Academia Waltz.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:00 pm

I feel like I have the complete Bloom County somewhere but God knows actually where, so I might as well put it in my Humble library so I can easily find it lose it all again in an unsorted pile of Peanuts and Archie stuff.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:09 am

...god dammit, IDW, I thought you'd fixed this "some of the CBZs are 60MB and some are 700MB" crap.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:44 pm

Eisner and Kirby bundle.

The bad news is, no DC or Marvel. So there are a bunch of Spirit comics that aren't actually by Eisner, a bunch of biographies and fan zines, and two different not-exactly-definitive versions of Silver Star (the Fantagraphics version with no inks or colors, and a hideous recolored version from Image).

On the other hand, there's some good shit in there, including Fagin the Jew and Young Romance. Let's be honest, I'm gonna buy this fuckin' thing.

Meanwhile, that Transformers sale I mentioned yesterday turns out not to have been a Prime Day thing after all; there are a bunch of (digital) IDW books still on sale at Amazon. I'm trying to remember some IDW books I want and don't already have. IDW publishes some good shit.

(All their TMNT books are DRM'ed. Dammit. Hey Nickelodeon, fuck you.)

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:00 am

Comixology has a site wide sale on idw right now. 55% off.

So buy them Transformers.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:29 am

Yeah, I thought I saw that but I couldn't find it when I wrote that post so I didn't mention it. Needs a coupon code or something, right? I think the prices on Amazon are the same (or close to).

I think I've finally got all the Transformers comics I want; Chaos Theory was really the last one I was interested in. The stuff prior to the More than Meets the Eye/Robots in Disguise relaunch mostly didn't do it for me, and neither does anything that takes place on Earth; I'd been meaning to read Chaos Theory since it fleshes out Megatron's origin story and gets referenced all the time in MtMtE/LL.

Trying to think what else I'd been meaning to read from IDW. The Disney and Nickelodeon stuff is all DRM'ed, so none of that. Maybe Ghostbusters, but I'm so far behind on that that I should probably start catching up before I buy any more. I think I've already got all the Locke & Key one-shots, too.

I have mixed feelings about Dirk Gently. I liked A Spoon Too Short, but dropped The Salmon of Doubt after he stepped into the TV show universe.

(I still don't know what to make of the giant vertical two-page spread where he re-enacted the Gutterballs scene from Big Lebowski.)

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:41 pm

The code is... idw17 I believe. I unfortunately have only one "just for daddy" expense this month and it's Splatoon 2 so no comics for me.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:43 am

Humble Transformers/GI Joe bundle on.

I can't speak for GI Joe, but the best Transformers stuff in the set is Phase Two, which is at the $20 and $25 tiers. (Phase One is pretty hit-or-miss but has some good stuff in it, Autocracy's good, Windblade and Till All Are One follow after Phase Two. Regeneration One continues the '80s Marvel series, Evolutions and Transformers vs. GI Joe are non-canonical and standalone, and Nefarious is apparently a movie tie-in?) Phase Two is really, really good, though. Aside from the crossovers and the part where they go back to Earth. (And even that has Thundercracker trying to read everyone his terrible screenplay and an issue that is narrated by a drone and a dog, so it's not all bad.)