Free and Cheap Comics

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Free and Cheap Comics

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:12 pm

Since Dark Horse is losing the rights to Star Wars comics, they are having a sale of sorts: $300 for every Star Wars comic ever published by Dark Horse (digital bundle)

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:53 pm

Sign up for a new account on Comixology and enter "CBR" at checkout to get 50% off your first order.

Lots of great shit there: Bandette, Love and Rockets, Weathercraft, Saga, Manhattan Projects, Madman, Prophet, Scott Pilgrim, Hate.

Valid through Sunday. Doesn't work with bundles, so if you want a bundle you'll have to individually add the books that are in it. And doesn't work if you've already bought stuff there, which is stupid, because it's not like it's hard to sign up for a new account.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:05 pm

Latest Humble Bundle is Image Firsts. $18 gets you the first 48 issues of The Walking Dead and the first 18 issues of Saga; those alone are well worth the price of admission if you don't already have them.

I do in fact already have them, so I don't know that I'll pay at that tier -- the other book at the $18 tier is East of West: The World; how's that?

Manhattan Projects (at the "more than the average" tier) is also excellent, and what I've read of Elephantmen and God Hates Astronauts was pretty good. I hear good things about Wytches, Sex Criminals, and The Wicked + The Divine.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:31 am

Azzarello and Bermejo's The Joker OGN is free on Comixology. Or directly from DC, if you need another damn proprietary comic reader on your tablet.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:14 pm

Humble Bundle is also giving away a free #1 each day; today it's ODY-C. Which doesn't appear to be in the bundle so you may want to snag it even if you already bought (or plan to buy) the bundle.

(At least, I don't see it listed. Could be it's one of the books they'll add to the middle tier next week.)

Adding: The average is creeping up; presumably a whole lot of people are paying the $18 for The Walking Dead. I still definitely recommend doing that if you don't already have Walking Dead and Saga.

Kayma

Postby Kayma » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:15 pm

Oh nice, I managed to grab it. I've been meaning to check out ODY-C

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:15 pm

Jesus Christ, Humble Bundle really needs to add some kind of bulk download option.

I can understand why they don't on the direct downloads, since adding a speed bump is probably a good idea on their end, but they should at least have one for the torrent option. Hell, ENCOURAGE people to download using BT instead of hammering the server.

(Granted, I assume a great big chunk of the BT seeds are coming from their server anyway. But still, if I'm downloading 20 different comics, I would prefer not having to click on 20 different download links.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:20 pm

The Image Bundle has added Nailbiter, Shutter, Southern Bastards, and Stray Bullets.

I've had time to read some of the books in there; I'll talk more about them later, but seriously, $18 for the first 18 issues of Saga is totally worth it; Saga is one of my favorite books in years. The Manhattan Projects is another.

Aside from that, now that I've seen what the fuss is about on a few of the others, I agree that they deserve their reputation.

Sex Criminals is really fun; it takes the puberty/superpowers metaphor of X-Men and finds a way to make it even less subtle. It's a hell of a lot of fun, and the characters are (sometimes cringe-inducingly) relatable. But you might not want to read it in public.

The Wicked + The Divine is another high-concepty book, but "murder mystery involving pop idols who are hosting a pantheon of gods" is a pretty good high concept.

Velvet is a great 1970's-era spy book. It's formulaic, but it's a good formula.

Again, I'll try and write more about these books later, but I suggest you get 'em while you can. Image has had a banner couple of years and these are just a few of the reasons why.

Kayma

Postby Kayma » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:11 pm

From Sex Criminals. Probably my favorite set of panels this last year.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:17 pm

Just realized if I ever become a high profile criminal I want to use the name "My Jam".

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:33 pm

This week's Humble Bundle is Archie.

I've liked what I've read of Mega Man and Afterlife with Archie, but probably won't buy the bundle.

Not sure on quality. Archie hasn't done DRM-free comics before, and my experience has been that publishers who aren't used to putting out DRM-free comics do a poor job of it when it comes time to put out a Humble Bundle. (IDW and Boom both put out some pretty low-quality files in the bundles I bought from them. Valiant initially did too but later replaced them with better versions.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:59 am

Dynamite's Shaft #1 free through the end of February if you enter coupon code "CANYOUDIGIT". It's pretty good!

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:14 am

The Original Art of Basil Wolverton seems like exactly the sort of thing you don't want to look at on a tablet, but it's in the bottom tier of the current Humble Bundle.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:10 am

Dynamite continues to sell bundles all over everywhere.

BitTorrent has a (legit!) free download of 30 comics; pay $6 or more and you get a lot more.

They're all epubs and PDF's, no CBR/CBZ, which is kind of a pain. But there's some pretty good stuff even in the free pack -- Bob's Burgers #1, for example, in case you haven't gotten a free copy of that somewhere already.

Storybundle has a Dynamite bundle going now too. Looks like a lot of the same stuff, but I don't think it all is.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:01 am

Reminder: this Saturday is, as the first Saturday in May of every year is, Free Comic Book Day. So head on down to your LCS, see what they've got, and maybe buy some stuff while you're there.

Also, a lot of publishers are going to be putting their FCBD offerings up for free online as well; I'll try and remember to send some links when they're up.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri May 01, 2015 1:00 am

Humble Kids' Comics Bundle has Axe Cop, Super Dinosaur, Lumberjanes, Usagi Yojimbo, and more.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun May 03, 2015 1:10 am

Free comic about the coming UK election by Shaky Kane and CS Baker: Campaign 2079

Kayma

Postby Kayma » Mon May 04, 2015 10:52 am

FCBD was, as usual, just about my favorite day of the year. We're usually pretty light on cosplayers, but we had a great Spider-gwen, my friend's kids came in as Captain America and a stormtrooper, and a little girl came in as Harley Quinn but her real name was... Harley Quinn. I hope her life works out.

We also had a cake cosplaying as Captain America:

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon May 04, 2015 12:48 pm

It wasn't Kevin Smith's daughter, was it?

Kayma

Postby Kayma » Mon May 04, 2015 1:14 pm

Nah, I think there are standing orders not to let him in after his run on Daredevil.