Star Wars

Büge

Re: Star Wars

Postby Büge » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:53 am

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:48 am

Thad wrote:Hera's Heroes is the best adaptation of the Book of Mormon I've ever seen.

How many have you seen??

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:50 am

...well, I still haven't seen The Book of Mormon. Tickets were way too expensive.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:03 am

We've been slowrolling season three, so we're only up to the 4th episode (Antilles Extraction) so far. Season is... okay I guess? Nothing to really write home about.

What's REALLY annoying me is the SEVERE reductio-ad-absurdum of the size of military forces involved (yes I know that's not the correct use of that term, but I'm using it anyway, dammit). Asking us to think that a dozen fighters or a handful of pilots will impact anything in a galaxy-spanning rebellion is laughable - even when you consider we're only dealing with one regional group. Plus that's before you even include the scenes where they lose half a dozen fighters or multiple transports on a given mission gone bad (which are at least reasonable numbers), so they're not even consistent about it. I can take a little bit of number-fudging, but this is really bad.

The Wedge mission was particularly galling though - two cadet pilots is a "mass defection" requiring a significant military operation risking your best operative team and significant military assets? Two?! Come on! Would it really have murdered the production staff to copy-paste a few extra pilots/fighters and have the characters refer to noticeably larger numbers? Never mind that they're essentially throwing out the story of the mutiny on the Concord Dawn (which was a pretty good one!) to replace it with this crap. UGH. It's episodes like this which feel far less like Star Wars and far more like a phoned-in third-rate kid's cartoon. I thought we'd gotten past that.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:07 pm

Yeah, it kinda requires that everybody in-universe already know Wedge is eventually going to help blow up the Death Star for any of that to make sense.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:33 pm

Wouldn't the laws of cartoon morality dictate that the Empire views the defection of two cadets to be a rounding error in terms of importance, but we know* as viewers that Wedge Antilles will be a crucial player in the Rebellion's success?

*and for those members of the audience who don't, I'm sure they can Mon Mothma explain how "one person can change the future" or something along those lines, with some St. Crispin's Day sprinkled in.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:44 pm

All of that may or may not be true, but the storyline pushed by the episode is that they currently have a desperate shortage of trained pilots, so this cadet defection is supposed to remedy that.

They open the episode by losing 5-6 pilots in a single operation (and mentioning that that keeps happening), and end it by rescuing two guys. *MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner unfurls*

Oh and one other thing that drove me nuts was that when Sabine and Wedge are out on their training operation and Sabine refuses to fire on the Rebel transport... but then they come out of the simulator cockpits. I mean, if you know it's fake why are you risking blowing your cover, Sabine. ARGH. Like they don't show you they're in simulators until the mission's over, so I guess it's supposed to be a twist, but... there's no twist! If she's played the aggressive Imperial and then the viewer goes "Wow! She's murdering innocents just to stay in cover!" but then you have this relief when she comes out of a simulator. Which is not particularly original or even that great of a scene, but would have been better than what they did. Bleah.

BTW, what's the O/U on the number of episodes before Kallus defects? I think the soonest is the finale this season (maybe in the 1-2 episodes running up to it, but not sooner), but down the line in another season is more likely. He's basically run out of steam as an antagonist though, so maybe I'm underestimating how soon it'll happen.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:14 pm

If you act differently in a simulator than you would in the field then what's the point of the simulator?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:01 pm

Uh, have you seen the episode yet? She was undercover in an Imperial training facility.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:34 pm

‘Alt-Right’ Hopes To Rebrand Dark Emperor of ‘Star Wars’ as Donald Trump-Style Hero for White Supremacists

“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” is slated to be released this month and is a spin-off of the original series, released in the 1970s and 1980s. Conspiracists online see a nefarious subtext to the new movie: to foist diversity on whites. Jews control the movies, the thinking goes, and the recent “Star Wars” films star women and ethnic minorities facing off against villains who are white men. The subtext, “alt-right” thinkers argue, is that the movies are teaching viewers that whiteness is bad.

“We could make faux recruitment posters for being a stormtrooper,” “WEHRMACHT_BITCHES_AT” wrote, referring to the foot soldiers of the evil Empire. “Star Wars is so deeply penetrated into the popular psyche, we’d be crazy not to exploit it… The Alt-Right needs to appropriate all the imagery of the Empire.”

“I won’t be paying to see ‘Rogue One’ — or give a dime to (((Disney))) ever again,” one commenter wrote, using triple parenthesis, or the “echo,” to signal to others a perceived Jewish influence.

Another user wrote: “I refuse to pay those Jews another dime.”

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:21 pm

They've done a pretty good job this season of dropping references that the audience gets and the cast doesn't -- a prophecy about a planet with two suns here, a crude drawing of a circle inside a circle there. It's a fine line, and so far they've managed to walk it in a satisfying way, but I don't know if they can keep the streak up; it seems to me like introducing Obi-Wan and Tatooine to a story set right before the first movie is almost certainly a bad idea.

Meanwhile: I haven't seen Rogue One yet, but holy shit Forest Whitaker is a get.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:52 pm

Monty wrote:Phil Lord and Chris Miller, directors of 21 Jump Street, The Lego Movie and other movies that were a lot better than they had any right to be, are no longer the directors of the Han Solo movie.

"Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are talented filmmakers who have assembled an incredible cast and crew, but it’s become clear that we had different creative visions on this film, and we’ve decided to part ways. A new director will be announced soon," said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm in a statement.

"Unfortunately, our vision and process weren’t aligned with our partners on this project. We normally aren’t fans of the phrase 'creative differences' but for once this cliché is true. We are really proud of the amazing and world-class work of our cast and crew," said a statement from Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.

These creative differences have apparently surfaced during filming, because they've been shooting since February and there are several more weeks to go.

Ruh roh.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:41 am

Ron Howard has stepped in to finish up, so...he's a good choice, but yeah, still not a great sign.

Bal

Postby Bal » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:27 am

I'm paraphrasing someone else, but burn the footage, shut it down, don't make a Han Solo movie.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:46 am

I'm not gonna lie, I really just want Lord and Miller to stop everything else they're doing and just make a second season of Clone High.

JCl.