Star Wars

Thad

Re: Star Wars

Postby Thad » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:59 pm

My knowledge of the EU (or Legends or whatever the hell they call it now) is pretty much limited to a handful of games (KotOR 1&2 and Shadows of the Empire). I've never read any of the novels, and only a handful of the comics. I haven't even seen most of Clone Wars.

I've probably heard the name before, and I can certainly understand fans being excited about a favorite element from the EU being reintroduced (as I was with all the Malacor stuff in the finale). But no, "Thrawne" doesn't really mean anything to me besides what I just saw in that trailer.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:59 pm

Okay guess I gotta watch that show now geez.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:17 pm

Thad wrote:My knowledge of the EU (or Legends or whatever the hell they call it now) is pretty much limited to a handful of games (KotOR 1&2 and Shadows of the Empire). I've never read any of the novels, and only a handful of the comics. I haven't even seen most of Clone Wars.

I've probably heard the name before, and I can certainly understand fans being excited about a favorite element from the EU being reintroduced (as I was with all the Malacor stuff in the finale). But no, "Thrawne" doesn't really mean anything to me besides what I just saw in that trailer.

Fair enough. This is pretty much the basics:

1) It's Thrawn; there's no e.

2) He's the the core villain of a book trilogy that was probably the closest thing they ever got to a legitimately good Episode 7/8/9 in the old EU and is by almost all accounts the best pre-Disney-purchase EU character in any media - Novels, comics, TV shows, etc.

3) He's basically a hybrid of Sherlock Holmes and Erwin Rommel.

4) He has a sidekick who's almost as cool, Gilad Pellaeon, his flag captain, who plays Thrawn's Dr. Watson.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:41 pm

5) He's secretly a terrible character.

6) He's never a viewpoint character, so instead of seeing an intelligent thought process, we have to be repeatedly told that he is a massive genius who accounts for all the random chance and total asspulls that define his few successes.

7) He believes that if you look at some art produced by a society then you can immediately understand every aspect of how everyone in that society thinks, and is suggested to be right about this.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:20 pm

I mean, TA, we're talking about the Star Wars EU here. "Is a good character" is kind of a low bar outside the OT.

Also, Zahn went to some way to establish elaborate planning on his part. I wouldn't call that asspulls. But eh whatever.

7) was always kind of silly, I'll give you that.

And even if you do think he's terrible, well, he's no longer canon, but his base concept is still a great springboard for the Rebels writing staff, so perhaps his new incarnation will be something you like. I mean, this is a million times better than if we got news that they were bringing back like, Kyp Durron, or the triclopses or some other Kevin J Anderson dogshit.

I mean they managed to take one of the STUPIDEST ideas from all of the EU - legless survivor Darth Maul - and actually make a pretty good character out of him. So I'm more than willing to see what they do with Thrawn.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:56 pm

Mongrel wrote:I mean, TA, we're talking about the Star Wars EU here. "Is a good character" is kind of a low bar outside the OT.

It's a pretty low bar even inside the OT.

Mongrel wrote:I mean they managed to take one of the STUPIDEST ideas from all of the EU - legless survivor Darth Maul - and actually make a pretty good character out of him. So I'm more than willing to see what they do with Thrawn.

Eh, bringing back Maul always had potential. I remember a Mad Magazine shortly after Ep 1 came out where they had a memo to George Lucas that went something like, "Since Darth Maul was cool and died way too soon, we request that you bring him back, with the following stipulations: (1) he does not be related to anybody; (2) he does not turn out to be a total wuss like Vader did."

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:22 am

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:10 pm

TA wrote:5) He's secretly a terrible character.

6) He's never a viewpoint character, so instead of seeing an intelligent thought process, we have to be repeatedly told that he is a massive genius who accounts for all the random chance and total asspulls that define his few successes.

7) He believes that if you look at some art produced by a society then you can immediately understand every aspect of how everyone in that society thinks, and is suggested to be right about this.

8) He created Luuuke Skywalker.

9) He has nothing to do with Bea Arthur.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:15 pm

In a world where Abel G Pena's extremely sketchy Boba Fett fanfics of women he was randomly internet stalking were allowed to be canon in the pre-Disney SW universe, it's funny to trip over the old stories that were so bad that even the old EU disavowed them as non-canon.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:17 pm

Also Rogue One looks like it might cool, but after getting burned so bad by Ep 7, I sure ain't gonna trust a trailer.

Regardless of whether it's a good or a bad movie, I bet a looooot of those characters are gonna die!

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:34 pm

Which ones are Bothans?

Bal

Postby Bal » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:43 am

That's what I said in the comments of that video and some (surprisingly polite) Star wars fans informed be that Bothans were mentioned in the Mon Mothma briefing in Episode 6, not Episode 4.

Spram

Postby Spram » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:07 pm

Kinda boring and with weird offensive humor. Skip to like 1 hour in.

EDIT: I just finished it, it's not worth it unless you're a huge Star Wars nerd

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:52 am

Spram wrote:Kinda boring and with weird offensive humor.
it's not worth it unless you're a huge ... nerd

Going to see if Red Letter Media will use this as their channel description.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:05 am

Yeah, was not blown away, and this is from a guy that usually adores Plinkett reviews. Just felt really dry and super-focused on pointless internet bullshit.

I think it maybe could've worked as a ReView-style discussion, but it's a real bad fit for Plinkett.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:12 pm

It's clear that he didn't really have anything to say about TFA other than "It's a slightly bland product of precise corporate formulating meant to make it inoffensive to as many people as possible, just like everything else is these days, and there's going to be a whole lot more of it." But he couldn't just half-heartedly sigh for 90 minutes so he talked about Ring Theory instead.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:26 am

I'm not caught up, but I caught the Rebels premier.

The season 2 premier is pretty tough to top but season 3's did a good job of shaking shit up. Ezra's characterization was probably the best it's ever been; it's been a long road from Space Aladdin to Lieutenant Bridger, but they managed to do some good shading here: he's brilliant and capable but he's also impetuous and increasingly ruthless. The scene with the Walker was legitimately unsettling.

And ah-harrr, hello there Tom Baker. I like the Bendu. (And yes, I know enough about Star Wars to hear "Bendu" and remember that the original Star Wars synopsis began with "This is the story of Mace Windu, a revered Jedi Bendu of Ophuchi who was related to Usby C.J. Thape, Padawaan learner of the famed Jedi.") I look forward to more Bendu. I've always liked the characters who were Force-sensitive but neither Jedi nor Sith.

Thrawn didn't do much, but he left an impression -- okay, this guy's like a cross between Sherlock Holmes and David Xanatos. He's a different kind of villain than the ones we've seen before, and I look forward to seeing more of him too.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:04 am

It's funny that you posted that mainly because Starr was asking me earlier today when Rebels was going to start up and I said that I hadn't bothered to look up the date "because Thad or someone else will post a review once the episodes are out."

:D

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:49 pm

Hera's Heroes is the best adaptation of the Book of Mormon I've ever seen.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:53 am