Star Wars

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: Star Wars

Postby Mothra » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:26 am

Was talking to Frocto today and we kinda decided that stormtroopers and the Imperials were our favorite part of the universe, so, interested to see a movie largely about the rebel/empire war.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:17 pm

One thing that is a bit worrying to me about that trailer is, uh... where are the aliens?

Is this not Star Wars? I mean this isn't a Star Trek TV episode where they might blame lack of aliens on a low budget. Having no aliens but lots of humans is supposed to be an Imperial trait, not a Rebellion one.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:45 pm

Considering the handfull of CG aliens with speaking roles in Awakens (remember that pilot and that rations guy?), I kinda think that's a good thing.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:46 pm

Mark Hamill's face in that clip at the end.

The man has died.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:50 pm

No joke, I actually couldn't watch that clip because of his face. Like, I started to watch, saw his face, and felt like I had to stop - for his sake.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:53 pm

I was talking to a friend about Rebels who was concerned that it was too much of a kids show, being bowdlerized and such, and in explaining that he had nothing at all to fear, I realized that I think the show has reached a point in the second season where the writing is genuinely as good as ANH. It falls short of ESB, but that's a damned high bar and this is seriously higher praise than I've given anything Star Wars since the OT.

It's also a great way of framing where I think the show is and having a ready comparison of how good it is on an overall basis.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:37 am

Yeah, the finale was pretty cool.

I'd heard about Maul previously, but the actual use of him was really cool. Though I'm sad they never showed or alluded to his robot legs (but I think he came back in an ep of the Clone Wars CGI series? So technically this has already been alluded to? I dunno, I never watched that series). I doubt that Ahsoka's dead of course, but season three will be hella interesting, no doubt.

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:33 am

Mongrel wrote:No joke, I actually couldn't watch that clip because of his face. Like, I started to watch, saw his face, and felt like I had to stop - for his sake.

He was doing it as a joke about how he had no lines in Awakens and is used to just staring intensely now. If you watch the follow up video, that's revealed.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:24 am

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:09 pm

Mongrel wrote:We got up to the episode where Chopper wanders off to steal a replacement leg and I gotta say that "You abandoned your post." almost single-handedly made up for TFA for Starr and I.

Asshole R2-D2 finally gets his asshole C-3PO!

That was a fun one. My biggest gripe was the dialogue. Obviously when you've got a character the audience can't understand, then you need to write around it, but at its best (read: Han and Chewie) Star Wars makes those conversations seem natural. AP-5's responses to every single thing Chopper said consisted of repeating it back in English as a question.

But that's a minor gripe. It was a good episode in a good-to-great season.

I really liked the Zeb and Kallus episode -- yes, the setup is cliche as hell, but I think they made it work really nicely, and give some shading to a villain so one-dimensional his name is friggin' Kallus.

The episode with Hera and her father -- well, I'm sure I'd have appreciated it more if I'd watched Clone Wars, but I didn't. Some really good work in that one, though; I particularly liked the touch that her accent starts to come back when she argues with him.

Mongrel wrote:Yeah, the finale was pretty cool.

I'd heard about Maul previously, but the actual use of him was really cool. Though I'm sad they never showed or alluded to his robot legs (but I think he came back in an ep of the Clone Wars CGI series? So technically this has already been alluded to? I dunno, I never watched that series). I doubt that Ahsoka's dead of course, but season three will be hella interesting, no doubt.

Yeah, I never thought "great character work on Darth Maul" was a phrase I would ever be using, but here we are.

Also nice to see Ezra's temptation to the Dark Side start to get some show-don't-tell, after the entire season had gone all Episode 1 and had everybody talking about how he had the potential for darkness without any of his behavior ever supporting that claim.

Also: I'm a big fan of sticking the climax in the room where I fought the last boss in KotOR 2. And the voice has to be Darth Traya, right? I mean, no, it's not the same VA. But I gotta believe that was the deliberate implication. She was all over this thing, from Maul's hatred of both the Jedi and the Sith to Kanan being blinded.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:07 pm

Regarding the Ryloth episode, Kanan worrying about his "father in law" at first and Ezra totally failing to understand what was going on was another really nice touch.

As for Traya, you'll note she was listed in the credits only as "Presence".

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:26 am

Yeah.

I think that the Presence being played by a unique VA instead of one of the regular cast might imply that we'll be hearing the holocron's voice again; bringing somebody onboard for just a couple of lines in a one-off role doesn't make much sense. (If she'd been reprising her role from Clone Wars I could see them bringing her in for just a small cameo, but she clearly wasn't.)

I mean, it's not like they can say she's Traya, because Disney's explicitly nixed all the EU stuff. I kinda thought the exchange about "I thought it was just a legend" -- "Every legend has some truth" exchange was a bit of lampshading.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:48 am

Something being a "Legend" doesn't mean they can't bring it into the new canon. So while the stuff was nixed at the corporate levels, I'm sure you'll see individual writers and creators bring stuff back in.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:25 pm

Well, I'm sure it depends on how much detail they go into. Obviously Malacor itself is allowed, elements of its backstory are allowed, and some specific design elements for the temple interior are allowed.

If they started namedropping specifics -- Darth Traya, Nihilus, Sion -- I suspect that would require some approval from up the corporate ladder. Similarly, while they alluded to the Jedi Civil War, they didn't mention it by that name.

Of course, there's are a couple more very good and obvious reason not to go into more detail than they did. One is that once you start dropping too many references, it gets fucking distracting. Another is that by leaving the details vague, you (or somebody else) can always change them later. If Disney wants to delve into the Old Republic era at some later date, whether in a cartoon, comic, or especially in a movie, they'll have the option to change it in ways that explicitly contradict the games.

(A game would be an option too, but I don't really see much market appeal to the idea of a KotOR sequel that ignores KotOR.)

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:24 pm

KOTOR's universe and lore was what they used to build the still-ongoing Star Wars MMO, so I like to imagine they're going to keep that canon. Plus, it's largely considered the one good piece of Star Wars media to come out of The Dark Times.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:03 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:44 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:53 pm

Well that's the best Star Wars news in ages.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:57 pm

Yeah, it's really quite good; it looks like they're continuing all the best threads from last season. Ezra's arc continues, we get more development of Hera and Sabine, and I don't know who Thrawne is but apparently people are pretty excited about him showing up.

I've heard rumors that it leads up to Rogue One. Maybe, but Rogue One leads right into the first movie, right? And the first season of Rebels was set five years prior to the first movie. There could be a time jump, but I'm guessing they're sticking with a five-year plan; that's the standard for children's cartoons.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:59 pm

Thad wrote:I don't know who Thrawne is but apparently people are pretty excited about him showing up.

Are you, uh, just being cheeky, or is that legit?