Star Wars

Mongrel

Re: Star Wars

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:22 pm

I can't say I'm much of a fan of that animation style. And the goofy, overdone facial expressions really don't inspire hope either.

Bal wrote:I think I just hate Star Wars now. The prequels were bad, the newquels are mediocre at best, and everything is now stuck in this maddening obsession with the Imperial era. Star Wars does have a pretty rich library and internal history to plumb but FUCK THAT did you want to know in excruciating detail how the rebels got the Death Star plans? Well fuck you here it is anyway. Here's a movie about Han Solo, the character least in need of background exploration. Would you like 300 more hours of animation set in the Clone Wars era or the Imperial era? Here's a fucking dumptruck full of it.

What's that? You'd like something set in the Old Republic? Never heard of it, get out of here nerd. Have another X-Wing v Tie-Fighter dog fight.

I now feel the way about Star Wars that I do about Star Trek.

When I was young, I was not into Star Wars at all. I was a massive Trek Nerdly McNerd. But I remember getting much more into Star Wars around the time Voyager hit (probably a little before - I never was and probably never will be as big a fan of DS9 as some of you, though it certainly had many good episodes). I drifted away and now I just don't care and can't be bothered about anything Trek anymore.

Occasionally I see information about a new release, and even engage a bit on those rare occasions I have some hope that what's coming out might be decent (I watched a few episodes of Enterprise when it first came out, for example), but each failure in this regard makes me cut the franchise holders less and less slack, such that I just don't give a damn.

I still love the classics, and don't think the abysmal failures of the current management tarnish Classic Trek, or Next Generation in any way but there's not much reason to go watch something you have so thoroughly memorized when you could go do something new instead.

That's the way I feel about Star Wars now. Nothing's going to make the OT bad, but I just give less and less of a fuck about anything outside it.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:45 pm

It is mildly entertaining to watch Disney spending billions of dollars on these nostalgia licenses in the moment of Wile E. Coyote hang time just before they disappear into the relevance abyss. Or hilarious if you happen to be George Lucas.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:14 am

I mean, Solo did make its budget back plus $117 million. That's the definition of "failure" we're talking about here.

Whether or not cynical members of Generation X are impressed by a one-minute trailer for the new Star Wars children's cartoon is perhaps not the best indicator of whether it will be a financial success for its corporate owner, either.

And don't forget that the real money is in merchandise. Disney bought Star Wars for $4 billion. I can't find exact numbers for merchandise sales, but Forbes reported in December 2015 that projected merchandise sales for 2015 were $3 billion, and for 2016 they were $5 billion.

Kids aren't going to wake up tomorrow and decide they don't like Star Wars anymore and don't want to buy any more toys or T-shirts or bedsheets or Halloween costumes.

And even if they did, Disney has already made back its investment several times over.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:39 am

I'm still amazed it was sold for so little.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:19 pm

Well, I dunno if George Lucas cared enough to sell it for more.

The guy doesn't have to work another day in his life.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:41 pm

George Lucas I feel has an interesting relationship with this series. I actually, as I think about it, realize I don't know what exactly his level of control over episodes V and VI were, but the rest were:

Episode 4: "We love your idea! Now this person is going to tone down your script, this one will be in control of the cinematography and this one will decide all the editing"

Episodes 1-3: "Lucas we love your movies and want to give you as much control as you want" *makes episodes 1-3*

Disney Buyout: "I'm happy to give you my scripts and consult on where I th-" "nope, thanks ours now, leave."

I imagine being removed from the actual process is about as much as he could hope for, whether he actively realizes it or not. Plenty more time to review salads.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:16 am

You know, it's probably the dozens of hours of BotW talking, but I actually like the visual style.

I get why people are skeptical, but y'know, Filoni's done right so far. I'm still optimistic.

And if it gives us an explanation for just what exactly the First Order and the Resistance are besides "they're exactly the Empire and the Rebels but we changed their names", that's just gravy.

Plus, like I said earlier, I figure we're bound to see some of our old friends from Clone Wars and Rebels before this is all over. The Rebels finale felt like it as much as told us "Yeah, you'll be seeing these guys again."

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:48 pm

Jon Favreau’s live-action Star Wars show will be called The Mandalorian - Dave Filoni, Bryce Dallas Howard, and Taika Waititi will also direct episodes of the series

I like the sound of that.

Though I think it means we probably won't be getting that Mangold Boba Fett movie after all.