Star Wars

Thad

Re: Star Wars

Postby Thad » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:56 am

So the Star Wars talk got me thinking hey, I should maybe finally check out Rogue One.

And then I found out Rogue One isn't on Netflix anymore, so while I was waiting for the torrent to download I watched Solo.

It's pretty good! I mean yeah the whole thing is staggeringly unnecessary, and whatsisname is no Harrison Ford, but it's a perfectly fine caper movie, and it develops the lore in a couple of interesting ways. Given that it underperformed at the BO I don't expect we'll be seeing a sequel right away, but there's stuff like the Crimson Dawn and its mysterious benefactor that I'd be interested in seeing more of.

There's still an Obi-Wan TV series coming, and like I said, I expect more given the success of The Mandalorian. (And shit, Disney+ is doing, what, like six different Marvel series? I don't know if we'll see that many Star Wars shows, but I won't rule it out, either.) I wouldn't be at all surprised to see more of the Crimson Dawn story play out on Disney+ rather than in any subsequent movies.

And has there been anything about new cartoons? I know Resistance got canceled after just two seasons. I have to figure Filoni has some more ideas to kick around -- Rebels ended with some pretty clear indications that its surviving cast members still had some stories to tell. Frankly I'm a little surprised we haven't seen any of the Wren family appear on The Mandalorian yet. Unless we have.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:02 am

I gave The Mandalorian a chance. There was some acceptably dumb stuff until character reactions to the episode 2 climax made me roll my eyes into my head. Then episode 3's ending is complete crap. They spend most of the episode showing, loosely, how Mandalorian culture in this time and what remains of the universe's context is different than what you might be used to from stuff like KOTOR or even Rebels. I can accept this just fine, until the Deus Ex Machina of the episode goes against all that in an instant, and they continues with it in an unnecessarily goofy way.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:14 pm

Thad wrote:And then I found out Rogue One isn't on Netflix anymore, so while I was waiting for the torrent to download I watched Solo.

It's pretty good!

Then you can probably skip Rogue One. I've yet to meet a person who likes both Rogue One and Solo equally; it's like the two movies are diametrically opposed, and which one you prefer says a lot about what you want out of Star Wars.

(FWIW: Liked Solo a lot, have nothing really nice to say about Rogue One other than the robot was funny and ought to switch places with the robot that was in Solo.)

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:52 pm

Brentai wrote:FWIW: Liked Solo a lot, have nothing really nice to say about Rogue One other than the robot was funny and ought to switch places with the robot that was in Solo.)

Rogue One definitely would've been better with a super horny droid

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:20 am

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:00 am

So we're just giving up on the spoiler tag, eh?

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:10 am

I mean... yeah.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:51 am

Would've been nice to know that the statute of limitations on blatant untagged spoilers was "still during opening weekend", I've been too busy to go see it yet.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:27 pm

Yeah, me too.

Guess I'll stay out of the thread for awhile.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:24 pm

I think what happened was that the trailer put some of us in a mental space where there wasn't anything left to spoil.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:58 pm

All right, all right, I "fixed" it.

I did think about spoiler tagging Paco's post but it's kinda hard to take this movie seriously enough to consider any of it "worth" spoiling. Trust me, if you're in that mindset, this movie is only going to upset you. Anyway at that point the genie's out of the bottle, but we can still have nice things, I guess.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:05 pm

If J.J.ABRAMS had directed RETURN OF THE JEDI:

OBI-WAN (resurrected): Luke, I am your father, not Darth Vader. go ahead and kill him

LUKE: I love you dad

LEIA: I love you Luke and i am glad we are not related

HAN SOLO: I will gladly sacrifice myself heroically for this love

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:03 am

beatbandito wrote:I gave The Mandalorian a chance. There was some acceptably dumb stuff until character reactions to the episode 2 climax made me roll my eyes into my head. Then episode 3's ending is complete crap. They spend most of the episode showing, loosely, how Mandalorian culture in this time and what remains of the universe's context is different than what you might be used to from stuff like KOTOR or even Rebels. I can accept this just fine, until the Deus Ex Machina of the episode goes against all that in an instant, and they continues with it in an unnecessarily goofy way.

Well I liked it.

(And if your issue with episode 3 is the Mandos deciding "fuck it, we'll come out of hiding and fight back," well, there are repercussions for that decision that the season finale deals with.)

I mean, it's Star Wars; there's always an element of dumb incoherence to it. There's a bit where Nick Nolte describes buying his way out of indentured servitude to the Empire over "three human lifetimes", even though the Empire existed for less than 30 years. There's the requisite bit where Mando talks about the Jedi like they're some mythical figures who may or may not have ever existed (and an allusion to the Jedi going to war with the Mandalorians which has to be a KotOR reference), even though there was a fucking Jedi Council in the fucking galactic capital within living memory. I already made the joke about how this would be like people in the present day debating whether or not Ronald Reagan ever existed, right?

Also the closing moments of the season finale do tie back to the Mandalorian arc from Rebels, so that got my attention.

Half the season, though (episodes 2, 4, 5, and 6) is episodic and not really related to the main arc. If it were X-Files, we'd call those monster-of-the-week episodes as opposed to mythology episodes, and while episode 2 didn't do much for me I quite liked 4-6. 4 is straight-up "Seven Samurai but with an Imperial Walker." It's a little distracting that everyone acts like one of those things that got taken down by a bunch of teddy bears is a huge threat, but y'know, if you're gonna do a samurai pastiche you might as well steal from the best.

And the season finale is directed by Taika Waititi and starts with Stormtrooper banter.

On the whole? If it doesn't work for you, then no judgement; it's a silly show and it's definitely style-over-substance. But it works for me. I enjoyed it and I look forward to season 2.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:31 am

Thad wrote:I already made the joke about how this would be like people in the present day debating whether or not Ronald Reagan ever existed, right?

Found it. I actually said Clinton. But The Mandalorian takes place years after Rebels (and it's been nearly five years since I wrote that post), so it requires a little adjustment.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:07 am

Also I ran across this skimming back through the thread

Thad wrote:Fridge Logic on the ending of Rebels:

Okay so Hera's definitely been pregnant for the last ten episodes.

That was awfully nice of Sabine to look after Lothal from its liberation to sometime after the end of Return of the Jedi, but...like, couldn't her family have used her help? I know she gave the darksabre to Bo-Katan and left her in charge of the Mandalorian clans, but, like, the Mandalorians still had a war on their hands, right? They probably could have used her help. Instead, she spends years protecting Lothal from an attack that never comes, all because she misunderstands Ezra's last directive to her to mean "Look after Lothal for me" when he actually means "Come find me someday". All this could have been avoided, and she could have spent these years off helping her damn family, if Ezra weren't being an inscrutable douchebag for no reason other than that's what Jedi are.

and further fridge logic on the ending of Rebels:

Sabine is way too sanguine and upbeat in that final monologue, given that we now know that since she last left home, her people have been subjected to purges, the survivors have been driven (literally) underground, and the Darksaber has fallen into the hands of a Moff.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:39 pm

So with the final season of Clone Wars imminent, I'm thinking about giving a shot at running the series (I've only seen a few episodes up to this point).

I saw this chronological episode order. What is the deal with that? At a glance, it looks like some episodes were aired out of order due to CN fuckery, whereas others were actually produced later in the series' run to fill in details that happened earlier (for instance, I'm assuming that the two season 3 episodes listed early in the chronology were actually produced later, and are not first-season episodes that got held for two years for some reason).

How much should I care about this? Should I follow this order, broadcast order, or some other order? And Disney+ and physical media are the only ways to watch the show legally at this point, right?

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:55 pm

I watched the series straight through on what I assume was CN order and didn't have any significant issues figuring out what was going on. I think, like you said, it was more about like "okay now we're back telling a story when Anakin was still a padawan even though last week he and Ahsoka were running around with the clone gang" than actual airing/arc mistakes.

But it's also worth noting I had no idea another season was due and it seemed like we got the closing for the stories that matter in Rebels or, you know, the prequels. So maybe I wasn't following it all that well in the first place.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:41 pm

Clone Wars is only serial in short runs, and generally even then it's usually that the plot of one episode is a tangent to something that happened previously that's covered in the opening narration (i.e. in one episode a villain will escape, next episode they'll be chasing after that guy somewhere else). As long as whatever you're watching it on doesn't mix up entire seasons you'll be fine.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:53 am

So, I went and saw 9.

Sun May 27, 2018 1:28 am

Friday wrote:
Solo is more of the same.

Actually, you know what? I'm just gonna write a blanket review because I can just copy paste it again into this thread whenever a new Star Wars movie comes out.

"__________, the new Star Wars movie, is a visually impressive but entirely predictable and safe outing. It's loaded with fanservice and every time something or someone from the past shows up, the camera lingers and you get a little musical motif. If it's the Millennium Falcon, x10 time spent doing this. The acting, characters and script were mostly flat and some of the humor felt out of place and dumb. A few good moments aside, ___________ was a boring and safe film that felt more like a fanfic that leaned heavily on the original trilogy than a real movie."

See you next mission!
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:11 pm

You know, the more I think about 8, the more I appreciate how Johnson at least tried to subvert expectations.

Watching 9 try to undo everything he did does kinda hammer home how much that stuff wasn't part of the plan.