Calling my goddamn CAR the goddamn BATMOBILE.

Thad

Re: Calling my goddamn CAR the goddamn BATMOBILE.

Postby Thad » Wed May 28, 2014 6:46 pm

Corey Blake has a piece on Robot 6 called Don’t fear the silly making much the same arguments that I am.

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed May 28, 2014 11:34 pm

I could be parroting misinformation, but I think Fox has the rights to the Skrulls via the Fantastic Four license, and that's why they had the Chitauri in Avengers instead of them.

As an aside, Marvel Heroes is run by one of the Diablo 2 guys, and their cow levels just use the excuse that all the cows are transformed Skrulls. And that's why I fucking love Marvel Heroes.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu May 29, 2014 12:52 am

Niku wrote:I could be parroting misinformation, but I think Fox has the rights to the Skrulls via the Fantastic Four license, and that's why they had the Chitauri in Avengers instead of them.

But the Chitauri are just what Mark Millar called the Ultimate Skrulls to make their name sound less silly.

I mean, it's POSSIBLE Fox has the Skrull rights (who knows? Marvel still has the rights to the Inhumans, the Black Panther, and plenty of other characters who first appeared in FF, but then again we know Fox has Galactus and the Silver Surfer, and then there's that weird joint custody thing with Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch), but this is a case of somebody somewhere changing a name out of concern that it sounded too silly, whether it was Marvel Studios or just Mark Millar.

Thad

Re: Sex-IST. IST!

Postby Thad » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:41 am

Thad wrote:
TA wrote:They really are terrible names, yeah. Chitauri actually sounds like something,

No it doesn't. It sounds like a generic-sounding science fiction alien name from 2002.

Actually -- and I can't believe it took me twelve years to notice this -- it occurs to me, what would the singular form of "Chitauri" be?

"Chitaurus", right?

Which sounds an awful lot like "clitoris".

So yeah, "Chitauri" sounds like something. It sounds like Mark Millar made an adolescent joke about lady parts and it got into the comics and a billion-dollar movie without Marvel noticing.

Now, if this were anybody else but Mark Millar, I'd chalk it up to an unfortunate coincidence. However, given that it's the guy who created CLINT MAGAZINE and allegedly tried to sneak a character named CLINT FLICKER into the UK Sonic the Hedgehog comic, I'm inclined to think "Mark Millar made an adolescent joke about lady parts" is the Occam's Razor explanation rather than "coincidence".

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:20 am

actually it sounds like the Greek letters Chi and Tau.

EDIT: well, if you were mispronouncing Chi.
For the White Witch!

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:38 pm

I'm positive they just took the wood 'chitin' and turned it into the name of a bug-like alien race.

That said, I can 100% see him mentioning off-handedly at a convention somewhere down the line that the entire name of the race was a strained vagina joke.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:20 am

I can't say's I remember them looking particularly chitinous in their original appearance, but it's been awhile and I can't find scans offhand (Google image search is mostly grabs from the movie).

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:56 am

Wiki doesn't say if they're bugs or reptiles, but it does suggest that maybe they were named after the star system Chi Tauri?

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:21 am

Ah, well if it's an actual astronomical term then yeah I gotta go with that over "Mark Millar made a clit joke".

Thanks, Internet!

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:45 am

Can't it be both at once?

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:04 pm

CLITORI IS CANNON

(in my head, at least)

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:04 pm

Oh my god

Cannon

Thad

Re: Sex-IST. IST!

Postby Thad » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:50 am

I ran across this old thread looking for the thread where we talked about radio plays.

zaratustra wrote:I mean, if Goyer writes Wonder Woman, she'll be called just "Woman" and be a secret agent that shoots people and maybe meets Batman.

That turns out to be a pretty accurate prediction of Wonder Woman's role in Batman v Superman.