Comics for People who Don't Read Comics

Thad

Comics for People who Don't Read Comics

Postby Thad » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:36 am

Warren Ellis has a new comic out, with artist Jason Howard. It's called Trees. It's a take on the trope where Earth is invaded by aliens so advanced they see humanity the way we see ants -- it's not a fight, they just sort of brush us out of the way and kill us without a thought when we get too close. It's not a new premise, but, as is the trend since at least The Walking Dead, this is a story about what happens next, how people function when this becomes normal. Trees isn't about the invasion; it starts 10 years after.

It's a solid premise and I'm curious where Ellis goes with it. Or if he'll get around to finishing the damn thing.

Meanwhile, the latest issue of Astro City is the first to be drawn by somebody other than Brent Anderson. Graham Nolan does the art chores on this one and he does solid work -- his layouts are more playful than Brent's but his inks are tighter. (I've found Brent's inks to be pretty muddy since he switched to digital -- I still like his work but I liked it better before the current series.)

The story is about a down-on-his-luck supervillain. And it starts out with a supervillain barbershop quartet called the Sweet Adelines, who sing four-part harmonies while they rob banks.

I've talked a lot about the superhero genre's obsession with trying to look mature. Astro City is what a superhero story that's ACTUALLY mature looks like. This is a story about addiction and loss and self-delusion and self-destructive behavior -- AND it's got a barbershop quartet robbing a bank. Suck it, Man of Steel.

Thad

Re: Comics for People who Don't Read Comics

Postby Thad » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:17 pm

Conan vs. Groo is finally coming out.

ComicsAlliance has more preview pages.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:14 pm

ComicsAlliance has a whopping 17-page preview of the upcoming Fantagraphics collection of Don Rosa's Son of the Sun. It is delightful. Don't know when I'll get a chance to pick it up -- I still haven't finished vol 2 of the Barks collection -- but damned if that preview doesn't make me grin like an idiot.

(Aside: "Flintheart Glomgold" -- great character name, or the GREATEST character name?)

Got to meet Rosa last year, and bought a signed print from him. (Scrooge diving into his money bin.) He's a great guy. And it looks like Fantagraphics is treating him right with these collections, which is great to hear.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:40 pm

Paul Pope interview, mostly on Battling Boy and the upcoming Rise of Aurora West prequels.

Battling Boy is really, really great; I highly recommend picking it up. It's a kids' book with bits of '50's sci-fi, dystopian post-apocalyptic monsters, and a good bit of Kirby Thor overtones to it. The first book's out and there's a second coming, plus the aforementioned prequels.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:39 pm

Bandette is fucking wonderful. It's a brightly-colored, funny, multiple-Eisner-nominated all-ages caper book by Paul Tobin and Colleen Coover, and it's 99 cents an issue, available DRM-free from Comixology.

There's a hardcover out now too, but I sure do like that 99-cent price point for the digital versions.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:15 pm

Bandette really is a delight, and holy god is it gorgeous. I can't recommend it enough. The only thing I could imagine complaining about is the fact that she is never actually challenged by anything, at any point in the comic. It would be more of a problem if everything else wasn't so damned enjoyable.

Even better, however, is Rat Queens. I just found out about the series last week, and immediately fell head over heels in love with it.

Go out and pick up the first collection right now. Do it.

Thad and Niku I'm looking at you.

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:39 pm

Rat Queens is pretty fucking fantastic.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:45 pm

Everybody get this comic.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:10 pm

The Delinquents -- the teamup book between Archer and Armstrong and Quantum and Woody -- is out today.

It involves a treasure map tattooed on a hobo's ass.

(The hobo's ass skin has been removed and tanned.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:08 pm

The Kodos and Kang one-shot comes with a Don't Blame Me, I Voted for Kodos bumper sticker.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:50 pm

God Hates Astronauts is pretty fun. It reminds me, in places, of Milk and Cheese, Chew, Saga, Manhattan Projects, and Orc Stain. (And maybe a little bit of Prison Pit, but with way better art.) If it's got a flaw, it's that it feels, in places, like Browne is trying too hard to be zany and outrageous.

But I enjoyed it.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:05 pm

Thad you have put off reading Rat Queens for far too long.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:33 pm

So my first purchase of a Marvel book featuring a Kirby character in 3 years was Silver Surfer #6, by Dan Slott and Mike and Laura Allred.

It was a good choice. It is a totally delightful done-in-one book.

It's about the Surfer bringing a human woman with him on his trials and discovering that humans need a lot of care and upkeep, and then there's a fight, and then she helps save the day. Vaguely Doctor Who vibe to it. It's fun and as gorgeous as I expect from the Allreds (it feels more like an Allred book than a Slott one). And it's the sixth issue but doesn't rely on any backstory beyond what's explained on the intro page. It's fun, it's funny, and it tells a complete story.

MEANWHILE:

Gotham Academy #1, sadly, does NOT tell a complete story, and suffers from the decompression that a lot of #1's do these days. That said, it's still a thoroughly enjoyable book. (Elevator pitch: "What if Hogwarts was in Gotham City?")

It introduces its main characters and a couple of mysteries, and has the requisite Bruce Wayne cameo, and I wish there was a little more to it but I enjoyed what was there and I'm looking forward to more.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:12 pm

Rat Queens lays nightmarishly unread yet, Thad >:|

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:26 pm

Bought the first trade; haven't had time to read it yet.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:39 am

Well, fix that! ASAP! Rat Queens is amazing.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:30 pm

Hey, in my backpack right now I've got TMNT Adventures vol 3 (just finished; latest release is vol 8 and all of them are sitting on my shelf) and a tablet that's got, among other things, the Valiant Bundle that I've finished vol 1 of each book on but have just barely started the vol 2's. Rat Queens is on the list but it's a pretty long list.

And hey, it looks like the first All-New Doop trade is out today; I might have to pick that up, too. (I bought one issue that was light on Kirby characters but have mostly not been buying it because of my boycott. I don't know if I'll be reading a LOT more Marvel books now, but I think I'll be catching up with a few. I've been meaning to check out Waid's Daredevil...)

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:46 pm

Thad, Dan Slott says all the time on his Twitter that his Silver Surfer run is him writing Doctor Who. He's pretty proud of that.

It's a fun series so far and gives us the best hulk joke ever made.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:10 pm

Which means that between this and the just-announced Ninth Doctor series from Titan, there are going to be five Doctor Who comics going.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:32 pm

You know, Rat Queens kinda feels like Lumberjanes for grownups.

This is not a criticism.